Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > BMW > Sales

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
AR2

Default BMW 4 Series Coupe Almost Here

Well, I talked to my local BMW Customer Advisor a couple weeks ago about the 4 Series coupe. The dealership does not have any in stock yet, but he said they have 2 demos that are on a ship coming to the United States. He expects to have them either in the first or second week of September. I will definitely check them out when they show up and make a decision about ordering one.

In the meantime, I had the privilege of test-driving a 2013 328xi sedan and a pre-owned 2012 335i sedan. I much prefer the new 3 Series models (F30) over the older one (E90). I think the interior and controls are much nicer and easier to operate than in the older models. I also like all the new technology in the F30. I feel like the F30 raises the 3 Series to a new level.

The 328i had a 240hp 4 cylinder turbo and it moved very well. It has a very solid feel to it. It is nice and smooth and easy to use. I was thinking about getting a 435i with the inline 6, but I just don't know now. I loved everything about the new 328i that I test drove and the powertrain combination (2.0 4 cylinder turbo and 8-speed auto.) was much better than the 335i (3.0 6 cylinder turbo and 6-speed auto.). The 8-speed is a very special transmission and I have to wonder what it would do for the 6 cylinder. All I know is, the 6 cylinder does fly - even with the 6-speed automatic. I had the 335i on the Interstate and I was going much faster than the speed limit without realizing it. The car wasn't even breaking a sweat!

I am very anxious to test drive the demo 428i coupe that is coming in the near future. I think they also have a demo 435i coming in but that might be a little later. I will update this post after test-driving one or both. I know the dealership is excited and can't wait for the coupes to come in. Neither can I.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
AR2

Well, it is time to update this thread. I was able to test drive a 2014 BMW 435i xDrive coupe this past Saturday. Here is a summary. Sorry about the length.

It was a Sport Line model that was painted silver with a black interior. The car had the 3.0 inline six turbo good for 300hp, awd, 8-speed ZF automatic, and optional 19" wheels. Both the exterior and interior were sharp! I had looked at the car when it first arrived on the previous Monday, but this was the first time it was available to be driven.

The Client Advisor (CA) pulled the car out of the showroom because I was more interested in the 435i than the 428i they had outside. The car had a nice exhaust sound when started, but it was nothing like a Mustang V-8. Of course, this car is more refined than a Mustang, so its exhaust sound is going to be more composed.

The Client Advisor rode with me and let me go pretty much where I wanted to go. The first thing I experienced was the Auto Start-Stop function. I was waiting for traffic to clear before pulling out of the dealership, and the CA mentioned that the Auto Start-Stop kicked in. I did not realize it, but the engine shut off while I was waiting for traffic. I knew these cars had that feature, but I completely forgot about it. The implementation was virtually invisible since I didn't even notice it. The car was dead silent! When I took my foot off the brake to pull-out, the engine came back to life. There was a slight vibration (and I do mean slight) when the engine kicked on and I was on my way. No hesitation, jerking, or anything. It was fantastic! The feature can be turned off if you don't want it on, which is nice as well.

The car was equipped with the Technology package which means it had Head-up Display and Navigation, among other things. I did not play with the Navigation unit, but I experienced the Head-up Display. I loved it. I spent more time looking at my speed shining in the windshield than the speedometer. Your speed “hovers” right in your line of site and it is multi-colored (unlike GM’s electronic green). The Head-up Display supposedly displays driving directions from the Navigation unit (and other information) as well, but I did not get to experience that aspect.

One thing I have to get used to is the turn signals levers. They are not like American turn levers in which you have to push them to the up or down position so the signals continue to flash. Instead, you hold the turn lever up or down for about 3 seconds and let go. The lever returns back to its place, but the signals continue to blink until your turn is done. It is pretty neat, but something to get used to as it can be frustrating for the first few times.

I also accidently folded the power mirrors while I was at a stop light. I couldn’t find the button to adjust the driver-side mirror, so I pushed a button. All of a sudden, the outside mirrors started folding toward the car. I quickly pushed the button again to get my mirrors back. I finally found the button for the driver-side mirror, so that wouldn’t be a problem again. It is neat to see the mirrors fold in, just not while you are on the road.

I was then able to test the car on the Interstate and it is impressive. It is so smooth and quiet. The ride is flat and connected to the road. I don’t remember any imperfections upsetting the suspension at all. The car was nailed down! I did not have much opportunity to test its handling, but I did push the car on a couple on-ramps and off-ramps. The car had no trouble and I am sure I could have a gone a bit faster, but I didn’t know the car’s limit (or mine).

The 3.0 turbo/8-speed combination is a blast. There was no effort required to get the car up to speed (and then some). It doesn’t really throw you back in your seat, but it gets way above the speed limit before you realize it. I can see it doing 100+ like it is a walk in the park. The 8-speed automatic is so smooth and shifts really quickly. It just bangs through gear after gear with no hesitation. This is totally different from my experience with Chrysler automatics that clunk and take forever to shift. This transmission doesn’t fool around. It (and car in general) means business.

All of this was experienced in “COMFORT” mode. I forgot that these cars come with the ability to change the “character” of the car. There is an “ECO PRO” mode for fuel economy purposes, followed by a “COMFORT” mode which is the default setting, and then a “SPORT” mode that tightens the suspension, reduces throttle pressure, and allows more aggressive shift points in the transmission. I did not try “SPORT” until I was on my way back. The gas pedal was much easier to push and I could feel the suspension tighten up a bit. I could not really test it due to traffic, so I hope to experience this mode some other time.

All in all, I loved the car. As an American, I hate to say it, but it is the best car I have driven so far. The Germans have something figured out. My Mustang Mach 1 may have that good old American V-8 sound and character, but the overall experience of the 435i xDrive is in another league. Now I just need to learn the finer points of leasing so I can get a payment I am comfortable with.

The CA said he has had 3 individuals place orders for a 4 Series coupe so far after seeing/test driving this car. Another CA said he had people calling about the 4 Series, so the car sounds like it will be in high demand at first. I can wait a little bit, but the car is too much of a gem to pass up.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the update - I just had a chance to read your post.

I'm happy to hear that BMW has found a great powertrain that delivers performance while maximizing fuel economy. Turbochargers and multi-speed transmissions are certainly going to become increasingly common with all of the OEMs.

Concerning the Auto-Stop feature, I haven't driven a car with that feature yet but I've read a number of reviews. It seems that some OEMs do a better job than others. It sounds like BMW is at the top of the list if you can barely notice the transition.

Thanks again for the update and good luck with your decision on whether you want to replace your Mustang with a BMW.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the update - I just had a chance to read your post.

I'm happy to hear that BMW has found a great powertrain that delivers performance while maximizing fuel economy. Turbochargers and multi-speed transmissions are certainly going to become increasingly common with all of the OEMs.

Concerning the Auto-Stop feature, I haven't driven a car with that feature yet but I've read a number of reviews. It seems that some OEMs do a better job than others. It sounds like BMW is at the top of the list if you can barely notice the transition.

Thanks again for the update and good luck with your decision on whether you want to replace your Mustang with a BMW.
Thank you for the response. The Mustang will not be traded in on the BMW. Actually, nothing will be used as a trade-in, but I will most likely be getting rid of the Neon. I have a friend that needs a better car and if he can afford the asking price, I'll sell the Neon and use the funds to put toward the BMW. Right now, I have to get the monthly payments of the lease more to my liking before I can place my order.

It is funny regarding the Auto Start Stop feature because a lot of BMW fans hate it and have had it permanently disabled. Apparently the first years of the new 3 Series had some problems with the Auto Start Stop feature and people didn't feel it fit BMW's refined image. I think Munich listened and improved this aspect (and the electric steering), so the complaining has died down somewhat. I don't have any complaints about the car. It is the best car I have driven so far.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
AR2

Well, it looks like the day has arrived. I will be ordering my 2014 BMW 435xi tomorrow after work. Everything is in line except for the size of the wheels.

I can't decide whether to go with the standard 18" wheels or go for the optional ($900) 19" wheels. I like the style of the 19" wheels but I am afraid they will be more prone to scrapes and dents. They also don't come with all-season tires (mixed performance tires). Being that the car will be awd, I would like the wheels to help out in the rain and light snow. The 18" wheels don't look as good, but they are on all-season tires and seem more sensible. They don't fill the wheel openings as well either. Decisions, decisions...

I would post pictures, but I don't know how to attach them from my computer.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Well, it looks like the day has arrived. I will be ordering my 2014 BMW 435xi tomorrow after work. Everything is in line except for the size of the wheels.

I can't decide whether to go with the standard 18" wheels or go for the optional ($900) 19" wheels. I like the style of the 19" wheels but I am afraid they will be more prone to scrapes and dents. They also don't come with all-season tires (mixed performance tires). Being that the car will be awd, I would like the wheels to help out in the rain and light snow. The 18" wheels don't look as good, but they are on all-season tires and seem more sensible. They don't fill the wheel openings as well either. Decisions, decisions...
Congratulation on reaching the point where you're ready to "pull the trigger" and order your new BMW.

Concerning your tire/wheel dilemma, I can see why it's a difficult decision. It seems that many times what's practical and what's stylish are two different things.

Quote:
I would post pictures, but I don't know how to attach them from my computer.
Here's a link to a thread that shows how to add pictures to the forum - click here

There's a reason why it's somewhat difficult to add pictures to the forum. When I first created the forum I was concerned about the amount of bandwidth I'd burn through if pictures were hosted on the forum's server and I was also concerned about copyright issues if unauthorized pictures were hosted on the forum's server.

The cost of bandwidth has dropped to the point it's mostly a non-issue and I think my copyright concerns were mostly overblown.

Someday there will be a DealershipForum Version 2.0 and when that happens one of the changes I'll make is to make it easier for our members to add pictures to their threads/posts.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
AR2

Quote:
Congratulation on reaching the point where you're ready to "pull the trigger" and order your new BMW.

Concerning your tire/wheel dilemma, I can see why it's a difficult decision. It seems that many times what's practical and what's stylish are two different things.

Here's a link to a thread that shows how to add pictures to the forum - click here

There's a reason why it's somewhat difficult to add pictures to the forum. When I first created the forum I was concerned about the amount of bandwidth I'd burn through if pictures were hosted on the forum's server and I was also concerned about copyright issues if unauthorized pictures were hosted on the forum's server.

The cost of bandwidth has dropped to the point it's mostly a non-issue and I think my copyright concerns were mostly overblown.

Someday there will be a DealershipForum Version 2.0 and when that happens one of the changes I'll make is to make it easier for our members to add pictures to their threads/posts.
I'm happy I finally ordered the BMW. Now I just have to wait until July for it to arrive from Munich.

Regarding attaching pictures, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping to pull the pictures right from my computer instead of going to photobucket. I do have a photobucket account, but I haven't been there in years. I hope my pictures are still there. No, I was hoping to attach the pictures just like I did on the BMW forum before I posted here. I thought it would be the same way. It isn't. No big deal.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
AR2

I'm going to try and attach the pictures of the BMW 435xi from the BMW "Build Your Own" website. This was the dilemma I had when deciding between the 18" and 19" wheels.

BMW 435xi in Imperial Blue with 18" wheels.

BMW 435xi in Imperial Blue with 19" wheels.

I ultimately decided on the car with the 19" wheels. It is Imperial Blue with a tan leather interior, 3.0 turbo inline 6 (~300 hp) with 8 speed automatic, Luxury Line trim, navigation (technology package), premium package, Harmon Kardon stereo system, Winter Package, and awd. I was told I should see it in early July.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
AR2

Quote:

Thank you for the instructions. I finally went back into Photobucket and added my BMW pictures. Once uploaded, it was very easy to attach those pictures to this forum. Now I can add a picture of my Daytona Shelby and Mustang Mach 1 to the forum if/when the opportunity arises.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I ultimately decided on the car with the 19" wheels. It is Imperial Blue with a tan leather interior, 3.0 turbo inline 6 (~300 hp) with 8 speed automatic, Luxury Line trim, navigation (technology package), premium package, Harmon Kardon stereo system, Winter Package, and awd. I was told I should see it in early July.
I think you made the right decision.

While both tire/rim packages looked good there's just something about the 19" tires/wheels that seemed better suited for the wheel openings.

An ETA in early July will still give you plenty of time to enjoy your new car in the summer months...
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you for the instructions. I finally went back into Photobucket and added my BMW pictures. Once uploaded, it was very easy to attach those pictures to this forum. Now I can add a picture of my Daytona Shelby and Mustang Mach 1 to the forum if/when the opportunity arises.
I agree that it's not too difficult to add pictures to a post once you get the hang of it but it's more difficult than it should be.

DealershipForum version 2.0 will definitely include the ability to host pictures on the forum's server but there's no ETA on when that will happen...
Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
AR2

I received an update on my 435xi from my dealer yesterday. The car has been built and is on a boat heading to the port of Baltimore. I should see the car by middle June. This is much earlier than the original forecast of July. I'm quite excited!

I also was invited to the 4 Series "Un4gettable Driving Event" by the dealer, so I am going to take advantage of that as well. I've decided to drive a 435 convertible and maybe a 428i coupe if a time slot is open. I can't wait. I've never been to one of these before.

This has been an emotional roller coaster since I am pretty much leaving Chrysler (and maybe the entire American auto industry). I have never owned a "foreign" car before and preferred to support Detroit all through my early years. But, with things going the way there are in this country and the total unraveling of the Detroit auto industry, I decided I had to go with the company (and country) that is doing things the right way. There are no bail-outs or sell-outs here. BMW is one of the most respected companies in the world and produces some of the best engineered products on the planet. BMW (as well as Mercedes and VW/Audi/Porsche) has a sense of pride that is severely lacking in Detroit.

If my ownership experience of the 435xi matches the ordering process and dealership experience so far, I'll become a loyal BMW owner/supporter going forward. It really is an eye-opening experience on how different things really are.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Wow, that's a pretty impressive "order to delivery" time when you figure the vehicle is built in Germany and then needs to be shipped to the U.S. and then transported to your local dealer.

Concerning the fact that your BMW will be your first foreign car I share your desire to support U.S. companies but also think the lines between foreign and domestic are getting pretty blurred. BMW has a large manufacturing presence in the U.S. and I just read that they're expanding a plant they have in Eastern Washington that will be making their bumper facias - apparently BMW was attracted to the area due to cheap hydro-electric power.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
lsx only

when u lease it will it come with a maintenance plan i hear of so many horror stories about german cars being so expensive to service.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
AR2

Quote:
Wow, that's a pretty impressive "order to delivery" time when you figure the vehicle is built in Germany and then needs to be shipped to the U.S. and then transported to your local dealer.
It does help when the dealer dealer-traded for a spot that was a week (or less) away from being built. I did get a status report over the weekend and the boat is scheduled to dock in Baltimore on Wednesday. So that is good. The bad part is that the transportation company supposedly moved to another dock and in the process created quite a fiasco from what the dealer is telling me. He doesn't know how soon the car will be transported here, but it should be before July (probably mid-June). Now, I have to do something with my Neon or just trade it in and get next to nothing for it.

Concerning the fact that your BMW will be your first foreign car I share your desire to support U.S. companies but also think the lines between foreign and domestic are getting pretty blurred. BMW has a large manufacturing presence in the U.S. and I just read that they're expanding a plant they have in Eastern Washington that will be making their bumper facias - apparently BMW was attracted to the area due to cheap hydro-electric power.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately the lines are getting quite blurred between foreign and domestic. I'm not too thrilled about it. I just see it as the eventual decline and death of the American auto industry and America itself. It could have been prevented, but that discussion is in the past.

It is going to be interesting for July 4th, Veteran's Day and next year's Memorial Day when I pull up in the BMW. I try to show my support and pride for America and all the previous generations that built this country, but it is getting harder to do. At least I use my American-made trumpet when I play taps every year. I just can't bring myself to pull out my Yamaha trumpets for that kind of occasion.