Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Sales

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
tnpartsguy

Post Hyundai/Kia and MPG

Automotive News reported that Hyundai/Kia would be reimbursing customers because the Veloster and Elantra miss the claimed 40 MPG by 2~3 MPG.

So, the EPA gave them the number- they went with what the EPA told them, and now they get slapped over it? At least they are doing a reimbursement program, but what about other cars that don't come CLOSE to the advertised MPG? Terrain/Equinox/Cruze come to mind. Not a day goes by that we don't hear someone fussing that the car missing by up to 5 MPG the EPA #.

Your thoughts?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
steve_biegler

Whats Next? My tires wore out to soon.........pay me. My brakes wore out to soon.....pay me. There are so many things on a car that reflect how you drive and MPG is probably the greatest of these. Its getting very old listening to all the whining people do because they are not willing to take some responsibility for their lives. Lets see we are bitching about a 5 to 8 percent difference in MPG!

This also brings up a point, if someone is getting 42 MPG should they reimburse the manufacturer for their savings? Sounds kind of stupid, but then so does the mfg having to pay.

Back in my days at the dealership when a customer asked about fuel economy I would point to the window sticker and comment it could be better or worse than that. A perfect example is if I drove somewhere and my dad did too, he would get better mileage than me but I would get there first.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
rd3311

Quote:
So, the EPA gave them the number- they went with what the EPA told them, and now they get slapped over it? At least they are doing a reimbursement program, but what about other cars that don't come CLOSE to the advertised MPG? Terrain/Equinox/Cruze come to mind. Not a day goes by that we don't hear someone fussing that the car missing by up to 5 MPG the EPA #.
HMA/KMA was smart to take the EPA figures IMHO. At least the Feds now can not ask for more from them, but this does open up a huge can of worms for all of the other OEMS to do the same thing.
rd3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default EPA only audits about 15% of all cars.....

I'm getting caught up and finally had a chance to read this thread.

My initial reaction before I read the story in Automotive News is why should HMA/KIA get punished if they used the MPG figures provided by the EPA. When I read the report I learned, much to my surprise, that the EPA only audits about 15% of the cars - the other 85% of the vehicles rely on the OEMs to provide their "EPA" data.

I always assumed the EPA conducted testing on 100% of the vehicles available for sale but that's not the case. HMA/KIA had an excessive number of models fail the EPA audit and that's how they ended up in this mess.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
lsx only

My dad is awesome when it comes to getting the most mgp out of a car he loves to do it,now in his 67 vette thats another story.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
shwngo

I'm still having a hard time uderstanding how they are to refund money to people over a couple mpg's. Everyone has different driving habits and few people can achieve the stated mpg anyway. We got our new MSRP stickers today to switch out all the effected vehicles in stock, some only changed from 37mpg to 36mpg. some changed 4mpg.

People have to contact Kia, then come to the dealership so that we can document the mileage and year then get that info back to Kia and the refund will be calculated based on the miles driven they will figure out how much extra the customer has spent on fuel. From what i understand they will get a fuel card for as long as they own the car.
shwngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Mopar1979

It's simple. The original window sticker indicates an average of 35 mpg avg., the corrected mpg is 34 mpg avg. They get a credit of 1 mpg for every 35 miles driven and are given an additional 15 percent over an above. One could argue that they drive all hwy. mpg and should get more... thus the 15 percent over an above. Makes it slightly more difficult for the class action law suits to get a good grip. The EPA obviously is more concerned with tail pipe emissions that it is with MPG, consider all the diesel trucks that have lost MPG over the years as a result of clean tail pipe emissions.
Mopar1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwngo View Post
People have to contact Kia, then come to the dealership so that we can document the mileage and year then get that info back to Kia and the refund will be calculated based on the miles driven they will figure out how much extra the customer has spent on fuel. From what i understand they will get a fuel card for as long as they own the car.
That's my understanding too.

The part I'm not 100% certain about is how long this process last? Will a customer who owns one of the effected vehicles still be eligible to come into their local KIA dealership 10 years from now for another incremental payment to their KIA Gas Card?

Is the Gas Car offer limited to first owners or does it convey to subsequent owners too?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1979 View Post
Makes it slightly more difficult for the class action law suits to get a good grip.
Only slightly.......

As I understand it there are already two Class Action suits that have been filed and I bet this will be a "feeding frenzy" with the big law firms that deal with Class Action lawsuits.

This must be a Class Action attorney's dream: Hyundai/KIA have deep pockets, there's a large pool of impacted consumers, the issue is easy to understand, the defendant has already admitted guilt and there's Millions to be paid as a settlement which means HUGE fees for the Class Action attorneys.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
shwngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's my understanding too.

The part I'm not 100% certain about is how long this process last? Will a customer who owns one of the effected vehicles still be eligible to come into their local KIA dealership 10 years from now for another incremental payment to their KIA Gas Card?

Is the Gas Car offer limited to first owners or does it convey to subsequent owners too?
First owners only and from what i understand the owner will get a gas card for as long as they own their car. What i don't know is how much they get each month or year.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Only slightly.......

As I understand it there are already two Class Action suits that have been filed and I bet this will be a "feeding frenzy" with the big law firms that deal with Class Action lawsuits.

This must be a Class Action attorney's dream: Hyundai/KIA have deep pockets, there's a large pool of impacted consumers, the issue is easy to understand, the defendant has already admitted guilt and there's Millions to be paid as a settlement which means HUGE fees for the Class Action attorneys.
Not just Hyundai & Kia...now that they've uncovered a potential source of litigation fees, I'd be willing to bet the lawyers already have investigators researching the gas mileage ratings on every manufacturer looking for a chink in the armor.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
shwngo

other than people just being greedy there is really no reason to sue, they stepped up and admitted fault and are repaying people already. Everyone is so lawsuit happy these day's. If i owned one of the effected vehicles i wouldn't even care. I guess i am a minority when it comes to stuff like this. It would have to be pretty bad for me to even think about bringing a lawsuit on someone.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
chryslersrt8

I believe this will be the next big thing for class action lawyers (and cable/satellite tv advertising people)...besides medicine.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwngo View Post
other than people just being greedy there is really no reason to sue, they stepped up and admitted fault and are repaying people already. Everyone is so lawsuit happy these day's. If i owned one of the effected vehicles i wouldn't even care. I guess i am a minority when it comes to stuff like this. It would have to be pretty bad for me to even think about bringing a lawsuit on someone.
It won't be about the PEOPLE being greedy...there's not enough reward to the individuals on a per capita basis to justify it...but from the lawyer's standpoint it's all about volume on a class action suit...they will rake a huge fee off the top of the settlement under the sign up agreement, then get a 30% chunk of each individual's estimated recovery...and all that will add up to big bucks for them.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote