Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business This is the place where it happens

Old 09-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Anyone remember the old Safari Kar DJ-5 Conversions?

I was surfing Proxibid this morning and ran across an old Jeep DJ-5 Postal Vehicle and thought it was pretty cool. I was about to check out the next vehicle when I noticed the steering wheel was on the wrong side.

Here's the link to Proxibid - click here

Here's a picture since the Proxibid link will likely die after the auction is complete:

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Now when I say the steering wheel is on the "wrong" side I mean that it's on the left side, not the right side like the DJ-5 Postal Jeeps were when they left the factory.

When I looked at the rest of the pictures the auction house provided I saw the Safari Kar branding and remembered reading a story in Automotive News about a company that was converting DJ-5 to left hand drive and then selling them as "remanufactured" vehicles. As I recall the Feds were taking issue with the fact that Safari Kar was resetting the odometers to zero.

For those who are young enough to think that it was insane that a company thought they could operate on a business plan that mostly relied on converting DJ-5s to Left Hand Drive, you need to remember that this was during an era where Geo was selling a ton of Trackers and Suzuki was selling a ton of Samurai's - the market for small/cheap sport utes was very strong back then.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
57years

I might just bid on this unit. Less than 600 miles to pick up with a trailer. Thanks for the lead!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
I might just bid on this unit. Less than 600 miles to pick up with a trailer. Thanks for the lead!
That would be awesome - the DJ-5 looks pretty decent given its age.

I noticed the Buyer's Premium seemed really high - 20% for Proxibid or 15% for on-site. If the Jeep goes for cheap money the Buyer's Premium isn't that big of a deal but on more expensive vehicles it can be a deal-killer.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe you could get a two-car trailer and bid on the 1977 AMC Pacer DL - click here

I love the tan/orange color scheme with the white wall tires and I don't know that I've ever seen a 5 Speed Pacer. It would be a fun car to own just as a conversation piece - or to punish some kid who needs a car to drive to high school.

Here's a photo:

Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
57years

Cute idea...maybe I will buy for the WIFE!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Cute idea...maybe I will buy for the WIFE!
Probably not a good idea.

I don't think there are too many wives who would appreciate a Pacer as a gift. Diamonds, on the other hand, are a sure fire winner.....
Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default More information about Safari Kar

I did a quick Google search and found an interesting write-up concerning Safari Kar that included the Automotive News article I was thinking about. Here's the link - click here

At their peak Safari Kar was modifying about 30 DJ-5s per month and they offered soft-top and 4x4 versions. The selling price in 1995 was $6,500.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
steve_biegler

We would call Pacer's, recap's that's Pacer spelled backwards! Those sure were fun days.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
tnpartsguy

Too bad that old Gremlin has unibody damage. The miles are OH so low.....
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
79LilRedExpress

Did you know that Pacers have different size doors ?

The passenger side is larger than the drivers...notice the position of the key hole with respect to the stripe.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #12
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post

The passenger side is larger than the drivers...notice the position of the key hole with respect to the stripe.
Yep, the passenger side (curb side) was wider to ease rear seat entry.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Too bad that old Gremlin has unibody damage. The miles are OH so low.....
I didn't see a Gremlin as part of the auction?

Are you thinking of the Pacer or did you find a Gremlin in another Proxibid auction?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post

It's so funny you mention that because up until about two weeks ago I would have said I wasn't aware that the Pacer passenger door was bigger.

When I was in Seattle I went to the LeMay Family Museum and toured their car collection. One of the tour guides pointed out the difference in door sizes when we walked past the Pacer - that was the first time I can recall ever hearing that information. He also commented that it is widely believed that the Pacer was designed for GM's Dual Rotor Wankel Engine but AMC had to use their own engines when GM pulled the plug on their Wankel Engine program.

One a different note, the same tour guide commented that I believe 1960 was the last year you could get a gasoline heater as a factory accessory on the Chevrolet Corvair. I was aware that VW once offered a gasoline heater but I didn't know that GM ever offered one. I can imagine a product liability attorney would be drooling if an OEM offered a gasoline heater in today's legal environment.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
57years

Oh boy, the Corvair Gas heater. Smelled up the interior terrible. I remember it was a 1 year item then replaced with all the crappy tin ductwork. Paid a mere tenth of an hour to remove it to fix anything. And then there were the fan belts popping off the fan pully....