Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Parts

Notices

Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
TORGY

Default Sidemill key cutters

what is everyone using for side mill key cutters, and what do you like or dislike about them?

this will probably make my head spin but I need to try to get some information. Thanks in advance for your input.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
TORGY

Default side mill key machine

what is everyone using for side mill key cutters, and what do you like or dislike about them?

this will probably make my head spin but I need to try to get some information. Thanks in advance for your input.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
BCCParts

We have the Barnes BD laser. Seems to be a good machine with the exception of jaw setup. We switch between two different jaws. We seem to have a problem with bending indicator pins for whatever reason. Key cleanliness is imperative. Between the cutter life and the indicator issues, you almost have to come up with a key cutting charge. We do a charge on key code requests to help offset the machine costs.
BCCParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORGY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORGY View Post

I merged the two threads since the GM Parts section gets the majority of traffic on the forum. (There is still a link to this thread in the Hyundai/KIA Parts section.)

Thanks for creating the thread - hopefully you'll get some good feedback. I don't know much regarding the various key cutters but what little I do know is they're pretty expensive.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
tnpartsguy

Default laser key

We had the Barnes machine for several years; we were an early adapter because we sell a LOT of police cars, and GM wouldn't let anyone order the new Caprice PPV unless you had a key machine. We recently got out of our lease on that POS and get the ILCO Futura. So far, it's been a breathe of fresh air compared to the always broken Barnes machine, and the cutting bits are about 1/4 of the price of the Barnes stuff.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
FixedOpsGuy

Default BD Laser

I am completely in agreement with BCCParts. Barnes, BD Laser (which actually DOES NOT have a laser) is good but the guides are always breaking. To solve that problem, resetting the machine and re-calibrating seem to work when it's the machine's error.

But, it's usually user error. When BD released an updated program and rewrote the software, they changed the screens that the user sees. They eliminated the step about changing the guide pin on some screens which made the user forget to change it when the user is changing the chuck.

There were many other concerns that were software related throughout the last few years. But, when it works, it works well. The cost of the cutters and the guides are definitely pricey.

At my last evaluation of costs... To break even, originally, a cost of $6.00-$8.00 per key for a cutting charge will usually cover the cost of all the additional guides and cutters and maintenance required.

But, after I had to send out the machine for repairs last year, the freight, return freight, cost of repairs, and the amount of key sales I lost, PLUS the amount of additional expense in gas driving down to my competition to get a key cut for my customers... created an undue hardship. A key charge of $10 per key is about breakeven now.

This thread was a topic back a couple years ago and I spoke on that thread also if anyone can find it.

Lastly, I feel that I probably should have reconsidered the Wurth key machine. But the price of the machine was more. Go with the Wurth.
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
This thread was a topic back a couple years ago and I spoke on that thread also if anyone can find it.
Here's the link - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote