Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Taking Internet Explorer 10 for a Test Drive

As I noted in another thread I never liked Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9 and I've been using Internet Explorer 8 instead.

I really like the search box that's in the upper right corner of IE8 and that was one of the features IE9 dropped when they combined the search box with the web-address box.

The downside to using IE8 was an increasing number of websites didn't fully support it resulting in the webpage "Not Responding" and forcing me to close the page.

Microsoft released IE10 a week or so ago for Windows 7 and so far I really like it. I still miss the search box in the upper right corner but I'm learning to live without it. On the plus side, IE10 seems to be a lot faster than the IE8 I was using and IE10 has a built-in spelling checker.

Concerning the spelling checker, the only thing that's slightly odd about it is it makes corrections on the fly without notifying the user. I occasionally look back at words I know I misspelled and they're already corrected.

If you're using a computer (one that you own, not the dealerships) that can be updated to IE10 and it won't impact the websites you can use I'd recommend you give it a try. (Be advised that some OEMs typically do not support new browsers and force you to use a browser that they support.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
zep33

I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home tonight. Didn't know it was out yet
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
chryslersrt8

A friend of mine who writes software for Fortune 500 companies has always told me, "experiment with your own equipment when it comes to software updates, but for business you are much safer staying 1 or 2 generations behind for safety and security sake." Many times, Chrysler's Dealer Connect, usually crashes if you use the latest IE, newest Microsoft, News Adobe, etc.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home tonight. Didn't know it was out yet
I downloaded IE10 directly from Microsoft. Here's the link - click here

It took me awhile to figure out I needed the 64 Bit version but once I got that figured out it was pretty smooth sailing.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
A friend of mine who writes software for Fortune 500 companies has always told me, "experiment with your own equipment when it comes to software updates, but for business you are much safer staying 1 or 2 generations behind for safety and security sake." Many times, Chrysler's Dealer Connect, usually crashes if you use the latest IE, newest Microsoft, News Adobe, etc.
I totally agree.

As much as I'm enjoying the IE10 Test Drive I've already found a few issues where websites don't respond correctly. (One concerns a Copart website and the other concerns a Chase website.)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
mryan55

Gasp... DealerConnect is working in limited capacity on IE10 on my Windows 8 laptop. VOIM and VIP are working without incident. Not that it matters, as I'll be back at my old IE8 desktop in the AM!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Gasp... DealerConnect is working in limited capacity on IE10 on my Windows 8 laptop. VOIM and VIP are working without incident. Not that it matters, as I'll be back at my old IE8 desktop in the AM!
Thanks for the information - I would have lost money on that bet.

So far I'm really liking IE10 but I'm not ready to make the jump to Windows 8 yet. Windows 7 has been working great and I really wonder if I'd ever get use to using a laptop with a touchscreen and controlling it like a tablet or smartphone. (I know Windows 8 doesn't require a touchscreen but it's clear it was designed for one and it appears somewhat handicapped without one.)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
mryan55

Using the touchscreen is really more intuitive that it sounds. I spend most of my time in the traditional desktop (which is really akin to Windows 7), but the full touch interface is nice.

I went with the Lenovo ThinkPad Twist, which is fully convertible into an 11.6" tablet -- albeit a heavy one -- if it you want to use it in the mode, or a traditional laptop if you prefer.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Using the touchscreen is really more intuitive that it sounds. I spend most of my time in the traditional desktop (which is really akin to Windows 7), but the full touch interface is nice.
I hate to sound too OCD (Someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) but I think the biggest hang-up I'm having with using a touchscreen on a laptop would be all of the fingerprints. I hate looking at a screen that's covered with fingerprints. It's not a problem with a smartphone or a tablet because they're so easy to clean, but that's not the case with a laptop.

Quote:
I went with the Lenovo ThinkPad Twist, which is fully convertible into an 11.6" tablet -- albeit a heavy one -- if it you want to use it in the mode, or a traditional laptop if you prefer.
The first laptop I ever had was a ThinkPad and I've always been a fan of their design and build-quality.

Concerning the Twist, that's an interesting concept. I just saw a CNET review on Lenovo's new ThinkPad Yoga and I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe that will be the direction I go when it's time to replace my trusty Dell Laptop.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
mryan55

I have always been a ThinkPad guy too, and the small screen isn't that much of a negative. It does have mini HDMI out if I need to hook it up to a larger monitor.

For me the decision was between the Twist form factor and the Yoga. The Yoga is many many times sexier than the Twist, and they way they were configured here at retail stores here, the Yoga was SSD-only, and that was just a little more dough than I can justify on a computer... SSD only would be nice, but for what I do it's definitely not a necessity. I can only work as fast as DealerConnect does... which has been at a very miserable pace as of late.

The fingerprints on the touchscreen on the biggest detractor for me so far -- that's also the same reason I stuck with a years-old BlackBerry for a long time... as to avoid the touch screen. Finally succumbed to iPhone in November.