Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > Mercedes Benz > Sales

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Mercedes tests iPads to speed up the Sales Process

Mercedes Financial is testing Apple iPads in 40 different dealerships to see if the mobile computer can speed up the sales process and create a better customer experience. The goal is for the customer to spend more time near the car and less time in a showroom cubicle. For the full report - click here

Mercedes Financial indicates they've developed an application that's also designed to speed-up the lease return process - even using the iPad's camera feature to take pictures of dents and scratches.

If the test program is successful Mercedes Financial will roll the program out to all 350 of their U.S. dealers. (I was surprised Mercedes only had 350 dealers. )
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I like it! My local BMW dealer has a similar process, but with an infereor tablet PC.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I like it! My local BMW dealer has a similar process, but with an infereor tablet PC.
Be careful what you say, I've noticed IP Addresses from Microsoft surfing the forum in the past. (Don't ask me why a Microsoft employee would have any interest in the forum - I have no idea.)

Concerning the iPad, I love the use of new technology but something tells me in the real world the hassle of replacing broken and stolen iPads would probably offset the benefits. Still, it's a cool idea and I hope it works.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
CarguyCO

We lose demo plates all the time....those are inexpensive compared to an Ipad.
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
We lose demo plates all the time....those are inexpensive compared to an Ipad.
I thought the exact same thing - just because it works at a Mercedes store doesn't mean it's going to work for all dealers.

I've also read so many reports about young thugs who target people talking on their iPhone that I'm not sure a dealer would want his salespeople out on the lot and taking test drives with an iPad.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
SANDMAN

An update to the story looks like the pilot turned into a program for all stores http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...alerships.html
SANDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDMAN View Post
An update to the story looks like the pilot turned into a program for all stores http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...alerships.html
Thanks for the update - I'm happy to hear the test was a success.

I think we're just at the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to iPads and other tablet computers. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds - they cannot afford to have people gravitate away from computers and spend more of their money on smartphones and tablet computers.