Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
You must not have read the second link to AN story where GM said that, for the first time, they were limiting sales of the 2014 Vette to ONLY those dealers who sold at least 4 Vettes the previous year. In the past, the small dealers would not get ANY stock units unless there was extra production available, but they COULD get a sold order produced. Once this policy takes effect, the end result is that any dealer that didn't sell 4 Vettes last year won't be able to sell one from now on since they won't even be allowed to order them...unless the policy is changed at some time in the future. In the case of the dealer you referred to that always seemed to have 2-3 in stock, I'm sure he will qualify. Back in the 70's -80's, in our small town of 2500, we rarely had one for stock, but we usually sold 1 or 2 each year as sold orders. It just seems a shame to me that they would take that away from their smaller dealers, for no real reason. It doesn't affect corporate profits...GM makes the same markup regardless which dealer they ship it to. It also seems grossly unfair to do it, given the fact that GM's requiring them to spend $$$ meeting the same facility standards, yet treating them as "second class" by not even allowing them to place a sold order. Bottom line, I think it's just one more way for them to reward one group of dealers at the expense of the others.
I finally read this article and another article and I see what you mean. I just didn't think GM would be that stupid to limit the Corvette sales. I do believe the requirements will be changed some time in the near future, but I didn't think GM would go away from the process (i.e. getting the product to the mass buying public) that made it the number 1 car company in the United States.

When we were a Chrysler dealer in the early 90s, we knew we would never get a Viper due to the requirements from the factory. However, you could always count on the local Chevy dealer having the ability to order and receive a Corvette. Sometimes, they were able to get several of them.

I think Detroit better be careful in trying to make their cars "so" special that they alienate the large chunk of customers supporting them. I grew up with Chrysler and the Viper, but now that the Viper is so expensive and out of reach, I really have no interest in it. On the other hand, I might just look into the C7 Corvette - if GM doesn't treat it the same way that is.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote