Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
thumper

Default online auctions

anyone have any links to good legit online auto auctions? preferably ones that show the high bid.
thanks guys
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

thumper - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum.

Concerning online auctions, are you asking about auctions where dealers are selling cars (retail) or where dealers are buying cars (wholesale)?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
thumper

thank you for the welcome!
i am looking for wholesale. i have local sells i go to to buy but what i am looking for are online auctions where i can study large run list and see what other cars are selling for. i been selling for yrs but am still new to buying at sells and only have exp buying a small selection. hope that makes sense.

Last edited by thumper; 12-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
possum

Check with Manheim, nationwide.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

I'd agree with possum. Most of the Dealers I know buy the majority of their cars via Manheim or Adesa.

I don't have much recent experience with it, but I know a lot of Used Car Managers (and deskmen) love the MMR - Manheim Market Report. When I was working the desk I often preferred the MMR to KBB when trying to determine the ACV of a trade vehicle.

If you're looking for less expensive vehicles I know some Dealers use IAAI (Insurance Auto Auction) and Copart. While both are considered "salvage auctions" they do have a fair number of vehicles with Clear Titles that may be suitable for retail sale.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
jayhawk

wev'e done business with manheim for decades. factory sales and dealer buy/ sell. bought a truck a couple of months ago on OVE, listed as front line ready , no prior paint,etc., $20,000. when it got here we found the front air dam missing, ground off, bondo and bad respray on what remained, 800 more miles than represented , burn holes on seats , rugs, headliner, tailgate corner bent, door obviously resprayed, scratches, plastic pieces missing in the interior, and just filthy. we estimated about $3000 damage.
turned in an arbitration claim the day after we physically received the unit. no one will take any responsibility for anything. the auction that listed the truck finally offered $500 for us to drop the claim, and then pulled that offer, we have a two inch file of e-mails, letters, pictures, and etc., mailed the pres. twice, they told us it was our fault and they would do nothing.
never experienced this level of corporate buck passing and irresponsibility in my 40 years dealing with auctions. now we somewhat understand why gm bailed on them for another auction in st. louis. if we even thought about treating our customers in as shoddy a fashion we would have been gone long ago. buyer beware, absolutely!!
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
wev'e done business with manheim for decades. factory sales and dealer buy/ sell. bought a truck a couple of months ago on OVE, listed as front line ready , no prior paint,etc., $20,000. when it got here we found the front air dam missing, ground off, bondo and bad respray on what remained, 800 more miles than represented , burn holes on seats , rugs, headliner, tailgate corner bent, door obviously resprayed, scratches, plastic pieces missing in the interior, and just filthy. we estimated about $3000 damage.
turned in an arbitration claim the day after we physically received the unit. no one will take any responsibility for anything. the auction that listed the truck finally offered $500 for us to drop the claim, and then pulled that offer, we have a two inch file of e-mails, letters, pictures, and etc., mailed the pres. twice, they told us it was our fault and they would do nothing.
never experienced this level of corporate buck passing and irresponsibility in my 40 years dealing with auctions. now we somewhat understand why gm bailed on them for another auction in st. louis. if we even thought about treating our customers in as shoddy a fashion we would have been gone long ago. buyer beware, absolutely!!
That's really disappointing.

I've mostly heard positive things about Manheim and their customer service. I know they downsized their staffing over the past few years but that doesn't explain your situation. Manheim should step-up and reverse the sale once the condition of the vehicle has been verified.

Concerning Manheim, I always thought it was strange that they were owned by Cox Communications. I can understand why Cox bought Auto Trader since that's essentially an advertising company but I never really saw Manheim as being a "fit" with their other businesses.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Trav7is

I got 2 cars at EasyExport auto auction with rebuildable cars for sale, the cars had salvage titles and ofcourse I had to repair them, but it turned out to be much cheaper than buying the same new cars.
Trav7is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
lsx only

we buy from adesa excellant people to work with
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav7is View Post
I got 2 cars at EasyExport auto auction with rebuildable cars for sale, the cars had salvage titles and ofcourse I had to repair them, but it turned out to be much cheaper than buying the same new cars.
thanks for this link, great site!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
jayhawk

manheim/ove update: wrote a letter to the chairman of cox media with verification of our truck problem and manheim's lack of taking responsibility. received a phone call within 48 hours,an apology for mishandling the deal, and an offer to send a check for the damage or a check for a buyback in full for the truck. we took the buyback, and yes, we will again do business with manheim/ove. after 90 days, we finally got to someone that wanted to "do the right thing". wer'e moving on with no hard feelings.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
manheim/ove update: wrote a letter to the chairman of cox media with verification of our truck problem and manheim's lack of taking responsibility. received a phone call within 48 hours,an apology for mishandling the deal, and an offer to send a check for the damage or a check for a buyback in full for the truck. we took the buyback, and yes, we will again do business with manheim/ove. after 90 days, we finally got to someone that wanted to "do the right thing". wer'e moving on with no hard feelings.
Thanks for the update - that's great news.

Props to the Chairman of COX Media for stepping up and doing the right thing and props to you for not holding a grudge and continuing to do business with Manheim.