Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
ohiobuckeyes

Default Snow Falling

Okay just went out and measured the snow fall at my house in Ohio 7 INCHES. Just 30 Mins. from Pittsburgh, Pa. We are not going to open in the morning either. Talked with a few dealers this afternoon most closed at 2pm and we stayed open until 5pm.

So how much snow does it take to close your dealership for the day?
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Ralph

Here in southern NH, we're set up for snow. For us, honestly it has to be really bad. I've only closed early a few times...by early I mean noon or two if we're scheduled to get like 18+ during the day. If we get it in the night, the roads are usually passable in some form as most of us come in. To be honest, I don't remember in my tenure, since 81, ever declaring anything like, "we'll be closed tomorrow so don't come in."

I remember when I was a kid, 68 or 69, we had a blizzard that lasted a week. My dad walked to work, about 4 miles, (kinda stubborn don't ya know), and opened himself...dug out the doors and I guess pretended to work each day, and walked home at night. The roads were impassable from Monday to Friday. Then we had a week to dig out, (I remember the pictures where all you could see were the tips of antennas of the cars, not even bumps, just about 5 feet of flat snow covering the lot. Then, the next week another blizzard and the same thing happened. He told me it would take an hour for them to dig out each vehicle. In those days there wasn't much inventory, but they had to wait to hire a payloader to open the lanes to even start digging. Was great being a kid then, a week off, week in school, and another week off. It took massive earth moving equiptment to open the roads and the town each storm. Very cool.

Even after the famous "Blizzard of 78" that shut down Mass. for weeks we were open cause by then the snow clearing system was down pat in NH. That was the last really big storm I remember that was awe inspiring. Winters here aren't what they used to be.

"shrugs"
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
gingersnap

No snow here in Northern Pa but 30 miles south they are getting pounded
gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
dodgequality

Just came back from repairing a snow plow. 11 AM
Roads passable, snowing, blowing. 20 in. on my deck.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
crowe

We never close for weather but our area comes to a screeching halt w/ a few inches & business is nonexistent. We got 9” on the last weekend of Jan.

We only got a couple of inches yesterday but an ice storm in the afternoon knocked out the power to half the county (including my home). They expect to restore power Monday night.

When we close today I’m headed a couple hours south to a 5 star resort w/ 36 holes & no snow. I’m taking my wife, clubs & a bottle of Jameson (aiming lubricant).
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
The StraightShooter

22 inches in SW Pennsylvania. Snow Plow Truck is down, Belt is snapped on Snowblower. Going to give myself a non-medically supervised stress test with the Snow Shovel. Allegheny County is in a state of emergency, but there are still people calling and asking, "hey are yinz guyz parts dept. open today, I need a fuse for a '91 Monaco?"---I love the car business.

Last edited by The StraightShooter; 02-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default $25 Starbucks Gift Card for the best Dealership Snow Picture

I don't know how you guys can do it, I hate cold weather.

In the spirit of compassion, DealershipForum will offer a $25 Starbucks Gift Card for the best Dealership Snow picture added to this thread. If there are multiple submissions we'll open up a poll to determine the winner.

The only rules are the picture needs to be from your dealership and involve the current snow storm.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
CL Pgh

We didn't get the winds the coast got... but we got the snow. Local forecasters all pretty much said a max of 10" of snow... they were wrong again! We broke our plow Jeep as well about 6-7hrs in... brakes just let go? At minimum, we have another 12hrs of work left. It's absolutely amazing how fast it pile's up when plowing... by the time we get done we'll end up with a 6-7' wall of snow around the perimeter of the lot!

Time for drink'n... I'm shot!

EDIT: We closed it down first thing this morning. There were 3 of us that hung around and pushed snow. The blizzard of March 93 is the only other time we've closed and I've been here since 85'.

My pup try'n to figure this stuff out.

Last edited by CL Pgh; 02-06-2010 at 05:24 PM.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

CL - Those are awesome pictures. (Especially the one with your pup.)

I can see why you'd close down - I can't imagine there'd be too many customers venturing out to buy a car in that weather.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Weathers Motors - Snow Picture

I received this picture via e-mail from one of our members who wanted to enter the contest.

I have no idea how you guys can fight the snow and cold weather year after year. I have respect for those who live in cold weather states, I think I'd go insane.

Last edited by XDCX; 02-07-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Spelling correction - "no" not "know"
Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
dodgequality

Just spent the afternoon in the cold but clear and sunshine cleaning snow off of the inventory. Snow plow moved the snow so we're ready for President's Day. Except -- the same weather scenario that brought us this mess is due again Tuesday eve into Wednesday. So Long February.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
So Long February.
I bet a lot of dealers on the East Coast will have a tough month in February. Lost sales and revenues due to the snow and increased expenses associated with snow removal will make the month-end DOC look pretty bad.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
zohpy

I'll take 100+ in the summer months with 100% humidity any day over all that white stuff. I don't know how you guys do it. Hats off to you. Oh and you deserve this.
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
ohiobuckeyes

Okay Here are some of the Pics our our lot from SE Ohio 17 - 21 inches

I'm ready to move South.

Last edited by ohiobuckeyes; 02-08-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added a Pics.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
CL Pgh

Wonder how many people miss the vehicles in this pic.?

Last edited by CL Pgh; 02-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote