Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Foreclosure Suit hits Illinois Harley Davidson Dealership

While I know this isn't a Motorcycle Dealership Forum I still thought the news report about a foreclosure suit hitting an Illinois Harley Dealership was interesting. Here's a link to the full report - click here

Here's what caught my attention:
  • I was surprised that some Harley Davidson stores are still struggling
  • It was interesting to learn that Harley's Dealer Count had dropped from 788 in 2007 to the current count of 695
  • It was interesting that the local bank that first issued the loans sold them off to a Colorado Investor Group after the loans needed to be renegotiated
Concerning the Investment Group, I imagine they bought the loans at a steep discount and now they're working to maximize their return. It's just a guess on my part, but I'm betting that an out-of-state Investment Group is going to be much more likely to play "hardball" with a dealer who is in arrears than the local bank which originated the loans.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
tnpartsguy

One of the oldest Harley dealers in middle TN went bust last fall. It was the 1st in the area to go with the Chrome Diner look.

http://nashvilleear.blogspot.com/201...osing-its.html
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
One of the oldest Harley dealers in middle TN went bust last fall. It was the 1st in the area to go with the Chrome Diner look.

Say it ain't so! surely the factory couldn't have been wrong about a new facility being needed?
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post

That's too bad - sounds like the dealership was well liked/supported by the community.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
Say it ain't so! surely the factory couldn't have been wrong about a new facility being needed?
Great point - this wouldn't be the first example where a dealer built a new facility at the encouragement of their OEM and then lost their whole business when the rent factor became unbearable.

The other downside to building an expensive custom facility is that it has limited appeal if the business goes under. How much demand can there possible be for a stainless steel building that looks like a diner?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
steve_biegler

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=57012.0

If you look about 4 or 5 posts down there is talk of some of the HD requirements.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote