Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

View Poll Results: Does your Dealership's Service Data get reported to CARFAX?
Yes, we signed an agreement with CARFAX and allowed them access to our Service Data 1 12.50%
Yes, our Service Data shows up on CARFAX but we have no idea how they're obtaining our data 3 37.50%
No, none of our Service Data has ever appeared on a CARFAX report 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #16
Gm nimzo

Does anybody know how long does it take for a service record from places like Pepboys or Firestone to appear on Carfax report? From what I read, Carfax receives data in electronic form from its sources, and no data entry is performed by Carfax so I was assuming it would show the same or next day. I was told the car was serviced but it doesn't show in the report.
Gm nimzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm nimzo View Post
Does anybody know how long does it take for a service record from places like Pepboys or Firestone to appear on Carfax report? From what I read, Carfax receives data in electronic form from its sources, and no data entry is performed by Carfax so I was assuming it would show the same or next day. I was told the car was serviced but it doesn't show in the report.
I don't know the answer but my guess is CARFAX gathers that data on a daily basis.

In the old days it was common for some computer inquiries to be "batched" at the end of the week or month to conserve computer resources but that hasn't been an issue for years.

I wish I had a more definite answer - you may need to contact CARFAX directly to get the answer.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Gm nimzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I don't know the answer but my guess is CARFAX gathers that data on a daily basis.

In the old days it was common for some computer inquiries to be "batched" at the end of the week or month to conserve computer resources but that hasn't been an issue for years.

I wish I had a more definite answer - you may need to contact CARFAX directly to get the answer.
Thanks. It makes sense that it would be updated daily. I registered a personal car and then I checked Carfax 3 days later, and the record was already there. So I thought if somebody would service a vehicle and then check Carfax a day or two later, that would be one way to find out.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
Gm nimzo

I think I just found the answer to my question. I sold the car a few days ago on 04/08 and the new owner took it to his Honda dealer to inspect everything. I checked Carfax again and it just showed up tonight, so it took 3 days.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm nimzo View Post
I think I just found the answer to my question. I sold the car a few days ago on 04/08 and the new owner took it to his Honda dealer to inspect everything. I checked Carfax again and it just showed up tonight, so it took 3 days.
Thanks for the update.

CARFAX does seem to be gathering a lot of data - based on this thread I think a lot of car dealers feed data to CARFAX and they're not even aware of it.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote