Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #61
XDCX
Administrator

Default Most recent episode follows the same format....

I watched the most recent episode of Car Lot Rescue last night on Tivo and it follows the same plot as the previous episodes.

This time the venue was a relatively large used car store in Florida that was suffering from a 50% sales decline. The "rescue" consisted of phone skills training, an off-sight trip teaching prospecting skills and a session teaching inexperienced salespeople on how to overcome objections.

In many ways, if you've already watched one episode of Car Lot Rescue you've already seen this one too. The format is that predictable.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #62
chryslersrt8

I am surprised that Tom doesn't come into the store wearing a cape and a shirt with an "s" on it!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #63
PACarDealer

I loved the owner that was unwilling to do anything that was suggested. I often wonder when watching shows like this (the bar and restaurant ones included), why did they even call for help if they are unwilling to do what they are told to do? Makes no sense.
PACarDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #64
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarDealer View Post
I loved the owner that was unwilling to do anything that was suggested. I often wonder when watching shows like this (the bar and restaurant ones included), why did they even call for help if they are unwilling to do what they are told to do? Makes no sense.
I think it's all part of the "engineered drama" that makes reality TV so fake.

It's not just Car Lot Rescue; I've enjoyed watching Pawn Stars over the years but I'm getting tired of all the staged plots - e.g. The Old Man's collecting copper pennies, Chumlee needs a desk, Big Hoss has never watched Star Wars, etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #65
ua1flyer

Show passed 1 million viewers last week and made the top 25 cable shows. Viewers up 57% from previos week.
ua1flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #66
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua1flyer View Post
Show passed 1 million viewers last week and made the top 25 cable shows. Viewers up 57% from previos week.
Congratulations on the increased viewership. I'm guessing that a slightly more favorable time slot may have helped last week.

Some of our members have asked/wondered about your affilition with the show in posts on Page 4 of this thread. You can choose to respond or ignore these questions - it's your choice. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the posts.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #67
Flybrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Car Lot Rescue had an interesting storyline with Micco Motors, someone just made the decision to ignore it.
I think that sums it up. I have the feeling that the producers originally intended on following the storyline about curtailments and 'beating the clock' on inventory turnover a little closer (the rough cut of the show had more scenes explaining that), but I suppose the focus on the kids being the main problem/solution had more entertainment value.

A shame because what we went though with curtailments and the general financial management between the owner and backers had a much larger impact on forcing us to close than the boys being lazy or not. Expounding on that would've introduced an element of small car dealers that's not really known to the public and would explain how many small independents boom and bust so quickly. But again, probably not as 'fun to watch' as young adults cursing at each other because they're forced to work.

Don't let this be seen as an indictment of the show in its entirety; its understandable that only so much can make the final cut for what is essentially a 45-minute episode and it was an entertaining experience to be a part of, but I for one was disappointed on a lot of elements that were filmed but left out.

I'm more disappointed at the overall representation that what we offered on the lot were garbage cars. Unlike the kids' attitude, this was a facet of the show that was never 'resolved' for the audience. The 'junkers' shown were staged out. The brown Blazer was a trade-in, the derelict Sebring convertible was trade-in we used for parts, and the Windstar, Talon, and Mustang were our mechanic's work. It made us look like we had a bunch of sleds when in fact we had mostly '04MY+ vehicles with <120k miles, similar to any small independent doing mostly secondary finance. There was never a focus on the 'good' cars, or anything shown with us 'getting better cars' (something was FILMED like that, but was obviously cut). The building was 'terrible'; that was fixed; the DeMicco's attitude was 'terrible'; that was also fixed. But the cars? Guess they still sell junk. I would understand the editorial need for it IF it were to expand on a plot point, but there wasn't a need and to that point, I'm actually glad I don't work at that lot anymore and have to deal with people asking, "do you really sell people cars like that?" because people DID ask me that after the show. And it was embarrassing.

I think that part was very unfair to us and something no other dealer on the show had to contend with.

I know also that the other dealer in our area that participated - Park Auto Mall - went about hyping up the show before it aired and didn't mention a scintilla about it during or afterwards. Probably because they a) saw the preceding episodes and b) saw that THEIR episode made them seem like ditzy bimbos and the boss like a misogynist.

Last edited by Flybrian; 04-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Flybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #68
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybrian View Post
I think that sums it up. I have the feeling that the producers originally intended on following the storyline about curtailments and 'beating the clock' on inventory turnover a little closer (the rough cut of the show had more scenes explaining that), but I suppose the focus on the kids being the main problem/solution had more entertainment value.
Thanks for the post. It's interesting to hear from someone who was working at the dealership and can offer a perspective on what was portrayed on TV versus reality.

Quote:
A shame because what we went though with curtailments and the general financial management between the owner and backers had a much larger impact on forcing us to close than the boys being lazy or not. Expounding on that would've introduced an element of small car dealers that's not really known to the public and would explain how many small independents boom and bust so quickly. But again, probably not as 'fun to watch' as young adults cursing at each other because they're forced to work.

Don't let this be seen as an indictment of the show in its entirety; its understandable that only so much can make the final cut for what is essentially a 45-minute episode and it was an entertaining experience to be a part of, but I for one was disappointed on a lot of elements that were filmed but left out.
I agree that there's only so much that can be covered in a 45 minute TV show and it seems like the producers of "reality TV" are convinced they need drama to get ratings. That said, I think more coverage on curtailments would have been interesting/educational for their target audience and it would have made the show more believable.

The Bar Rescue shows always seem to have a lot of fake drama but at least there's some content for people who are actually interested in learning something. With Car Lot Rescue, in my opinion, it's just 100% fake drama.

Quote:
I'm more disappointed at the overall representation that what we offered on the lot were garbage cars. Unlike the kids' attitude, this was a facet of the show that was never 'resolved' for the audience. The 'junkers' shown were staged out. The brown Blazer was a trade-in, the derelict Sebring convertible was trade-in we used for parts, and the Windstar, Talon, and Mustang were our mechanic's work. It made us look like we had a bunch of sleds when in fact we had mostly '04MY+ vehicles with <120k miles, similar to any small independent doing mostly secondary finance. There was never a focus on the 'good' cars, or anything shown with us 'getting better cars' (something was FILMED like that, but was obviously cut). The building was 'terrible'; that was fixed; the DeMicco's attitude was 'terrible'; that was also fixed. But the cars? Guess they still sell junk. I would understand the editorial need for it IF it were to expand on a plot point, but there wasn't a need and to that point, I'm actually glad I don't work at that lot anymore and have to deal with people asking, "do you really sell people cars like that?" because people DID ask me that after the show. And it was embarrassing.

I think that part was very unfair to us and something no other dealer on the show had to contend with.
Interesting comment. I agree that the episode did spend a lot of time portraying the cars sold by Micco Motors as sub-$1,500 "hoopties" that already have one foot in the grave. It's ironic because I don't think that portrayal was good for the TV show or the dealership. (Both of which are likely in the rear view mirror at this point.)

Quote:
I know also that the other dealer in our area that participated - Park Auto Mall - went about hyping up the show before it aired and didn't mention a scintilla about it during or afterwards. Probably because they a) saw the preceding episodes and b) saw that THEIR episode made them seem like ditzy bimbos and the boss like a misogynist.
Interesting. I do remember watching that episode and I agree that the way the dealership was portrayed wouldn't help them sell more cars.

Maybe the old adage that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" isn't entirely true....