Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
johnpico
Supporting Sponsor

Default Ross Perot Backs New Company

Tired of Gas Pumps. Company delivers gas to your car.

HTML Code:
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article49554930.html
johnpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Wow, that seems like a crazy idea, but then again I never thought people would pay for bottled water when that concept first appeared.

Here's a link to the story John referenced above - click here

My initial thought when I saw your post was to dismiss the concept because it's backed by Ross Perot but then I read that Microsoft's Paul Allen is also a backer. I have a lot of respect for Paul Allen so that opened my mind to the concept.

I still have a hard time believing that the business concept would be profitable. How many gallons of fuel is a driver going to deliver in the average day and how thick is the margin? Even if the driver was able to fuel five vehicles/hour with an average fill of 20 gallons that's only 800 gallons of fuel at the end of an eight hour day. If the business was working on a 40 cent margin that's only $320 in gross profit - hardly enough to pay your driver and cover the other expenses.

I've been wrong in the past but I'd bet against the success of this venture.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Ross Perot in the 1960s...

I was watching "Christmas through the Decades - the 1960s" last night and thought of this thread when they had a segment featuring a very young looking Ross Perot from the late 60s.

Ross Perot was already a multi-millionaire at that point and he embarked on a campaign to send Christmas packages and letters to American POWs held in Vietnam. The effort attracted a great deal of attention and thousands of Americans sent packages and letters which Perot loaded on to a chartered plane heading to Vietnam.

Sadly, none of the packages or letters were ever received - the Vietnam government would not allow them to be delivered.

In many ways I thought it was a well intentioned but poorly executed plan - a lot like his presidential campaign in the 1990s.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote