Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Did a Chrysler Dealer ask the Detroit News to change their story on the Chrysler 200?

Jalopnik's reporting that The Detroit News has altered their recent review of the Chrysler 200 based on input from a local Chrysler dealer. Jalopnik's story suggests the dealer used his/her clout as a major advertiser to encourage the newspaper to tone down negative comments the writer made about the Chrysler 200. Here's a link to the Jalopnik report - click here

The Jalopnik report compares the original version of the story which appeared in the newspaper to the current version which remains online.

The Detroit News Reporter who wrote the story, Scott Burgess, resigned from the newspaper on Tuesday and has refused to provide an explanation.

Do you believe the Jalopnik story? Does a dealer really have that much pull with a newspaper - especially since print advertising is dying?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
steve_biegler

If the papers ad revenue is dying and this guy is still a major player he may have MORE clout than before. To bad for the writer, looks as if Chrysler put another person out of a job.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
If the papers ad revenue is dying and this guy is still a major player he may have MORE clout than before. To bad for the writer, looks as if Chrysler put another person out of a job.
Maybe I'm a skeptic, but the whole story just doesn't make sense to me.
Would most dealers be so concerned about a negative story on a vehicle they sell that they'd contact the editor of their newspaper? Maybe.

Would most editors change the content of a writer's story to appease a major advertiser? Seems unlikely.

Would most writers choose to resign from their job because an editor altered their story after it was published? Seems very unlikely.
Maybe there's more to this story and maybe there's not but it sure doesn't makes sense to me based on what's been told so far.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default The Detroit News regrets their decision to change the article

There's a blog report on Automotive News which includes commentary from The Detroit News' Business Editor indicating the newspaper didn't handle the situation well and they regret making the change to the original story. The editor refused to name the dealer who made the initial inquiry.

I wonder if the reporter will get his job back?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Detroit News Publisher apologize to reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I wonder if the reporter will get his job back?
The Wall Street Journal indicates the reporter, Scott Burgess, has been offered his job back but he's unsure if he'll return to The Detroit News. Here's a link to the Wall Street Journal Blog - click here

Here's a link to the apology that was extended to Scott Burgess and the readers of The Detroit News from the paper's publisher - click here
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Who was the dealer?

I've read a number of stories about this whole saga but I've never read anything identifying who the dealer was who contacted The Detroit News.

What's the buzz in Detroit? Who was it and was this person acting alone or with Auburn Hill's encouragement?

If you have information but don't want to post to this thread, send me a Private Message or use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Noah

Doesn't really surprise me. There are three dealers in the metro-Detroit market that are (amongst their groups' collective advertising spends) pretty much keeping the News/Free Press solvent with their advertising dollars: Golling, Fischer, and Frost.

Just my opinion but, based on some of his historic strong-arm tactics in this market and currently boosted bravado after having a considerable portion of his competition killed via BK terminations (not to mention having been gifted a Caddy point), I'd be willing to bet a dime it was Dan Frost.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Doesn't really surprise me. There are three dealers in the metro-Detroit market that are (amongst their groups' collective advertising spends) pretty much keeping the News/Free Press solvent with their advertising dollars: Golling, Fischer, and Frost.

Just my opinion but, based on some of his historic strong-arm tactics in this market and currently boosted bravado after having a considerable portion of his competition killed via BK terminations (not to mention having been gifted a Caddy point), I'd be willing to bet a dime it was Dan Frost.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I've been surprised no one in the media has pushed to identify the dealer and then investigate if Auburn Hills played any role in this mess.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Default Scott Burgess gets his job back

The Detroit News is reporting that Scott Burgess has withdrawn his resignation and will return to his position as a writer/auto critic.

Here's a link to the full story - click here