Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Snowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Snowrider - Welcome to DealershipForum.com

Concerning your offer to provide insight on the other OEMs, that would be awesome.

With all of the frustration some of our members were having with Chrysler's launch of Employee Pricing yesterday, I kept thinking "Would Toyota launch a program with this much confusion? "

My guess is "no" but you're our new expert.
Toyo is currently scratching their heads wondering what went wrong?? They've got more than a few Tundra's lingering and, much to their chagrin, a lot of the eco-buggies hanging around. The Camry is still selling, as it always will. The Corolla and Matrix sales slid to a halt with the drop in gas prices. They ramped up Prius production only to have them hit the lots and sit.

The initial shipment of their new CUV (Venza) has garnered only a passing glance from the customers. I'm sure the Kool-aid drinking Toyota Faithful will eventually come around on that one, but the $40K price tag is a bitter pill to swallow for a sub-sized CUV that pretends to compete with the Edge, Journey, Murano, Pilot, Traverse, Acadia, etc. Lotsa cash for a glitzy style statement if you ask me. My wife said it best when she looked at it in the showroom, "Yuck...How do you see outta that thing? Looks like you'd be driving blind."

I've been keeping an eye on the incentives for Toyota and haven't seen them move much. When the ether dissipates, they'll probably come in with some cash on the slow movers and tag the others with an incentivized rate, same as they did a few months ago.
Snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrider View Post
Toyo is currently scratching their heads wondering what went wrong?? They've got more than a few Tundra's lingering and, much to their chagrin, a lot of the eco-buggies hanging around. The Camry is still selling, as it always will. The Corolla and Matrix sales slid to a halt with the drop in gas prices. They ramped up Prius production only to have them hit the lots and sit.

The initial shipment of their new CUV (Venza) has garnered only a passing glance from the customers. I'm sure the Kool-aid drinking Toyota Faithful will eventually come around on that one, but the $40K price tag is a bitter pill to swallow for a sub-sized CUV that pretends to compete with the Edge, Journey, Murano, Pilot, Traverse, Acadia, etc. Lotsa cash for a glitzy style statement if you ask me. My wife said it best when she looked at it in the showroom, "Yuck...How do you see outta that thing? Looks like you'd be driving blind."

I've been keeping an eye on the incentives for Toyota and haven't seen them move much. When the ether dissipates, they'll probably come in with some cash on the slow movers and tag the others with an incentivized rate, same as they did a few months ago.
Thanks for the commentary - that was very interesting.

Sometimes it's easy to look to Toyota and think they've got everything 100% dialed in. I guess it's nice to know that all the OEMs and dealers are facing challenges in this economy.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Snowrider

Interesting take on what we might see from Toyota in the near future.

Spurred by a recent infusion of cash and a quantum shift in consumer demand, many of the major auto makers recently announced sweeping changes in their lineup starting next year. Older inefficient models will be replaced with greener, consumer friendly gas savers and will be designed with the end user in mind.

All of the major manufacturers are hoping that the combination of greener cars, reduced emissions and greater fuel economy will bring customers back to the showrooms again. Toyota was first with their new model announcements.

Toyota, known for their odd name plates such as the Yaris, Echo and Venza announced this week a joint venture with Playskool and German footwear designer Adidas to build the body panels and powertrain components for their newest offering.

The new model, designed to be 100% recyclable, will feature a polystyrene body with recyclable plastic wheels. As the vehicle has no engine to speak of, Adidas has designed special soles for their Toyota line of footwear which will have a high traction tread design for quick acceleration and effective braking.

The new model was the brainchild of 11 year old chief designer, Toshira Yamito whose crayola rendering of a square boxy car eventually became the Scion Xb. The model doesn’t have an official name yet, but insiders say the working name is the “Yabba-Dabba-Do”.

More updates as they become available.
Snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote