Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Nissan > Sales

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Nissan going to get a Cummins engine for their next Titan?

OK, this is mostly pure speculation on my part.....

I was reviewing the reader comments in the Automotive News concerning Diaz leaving Chrysler to join Nissan and one of the comments suggested Diaz would be a good fit for Nissan because he's so familiar with Cummins and Nissan will be getting a Cummins engine for their next Titan pick-up.

I did a quick Google search for "Nissan Cummins" and didn't find anything significant.

I know Cummins was working on a diesel engine for the Ram 1500 trucks but Marchionne killed the project so he could utilize an engine from a Fiat subsidiary - VM Motori. Could Cummins take the engine they were working on for Chrysler and sell it to Nissan? Given the poor sales performance Nissan has had with the Titan it seems like it would be a brilliant move to give their next truck some street credibility.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
AR2

You know, I've always wondered why other truck brands (namely Japanese) didn't go after Cummins engines for their trucks. I think the Cummins name and reputation would help the Titan or Tundra gain some street credibility as you mentioned.

I also have to wonder if Marchionne's move to the VM Motori diesel engines caught Cummins off-guard. I wonder if there will be any backlash from this move. I guess we'll find out.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
You know, I've always wondered why other truck brands (namely Japanese) didn't go after Cummins engines for their trucks. I think the Cummins name and reputation would help the Titan or Tundra gain some street credibility as you mentioned.
Prior to Chrysler's bankruptcy it's my understanding that Cummins agreed to provide Chrysler with exclusive rights to their diesel engines for pickup trucks. With the elimination of the OLDCO version of Chrysler that right likely disappeared.

To your point, I totally agree that it would be smart for either Nissan or Toyota to offer a Cummins engine in their trucks. The pickup market seems to be the last segment where "Made in the USA" still has some significance and a Toyota truck that was built in Texas and powered by a Cummins engine would go a long ways toward enhancing their truck's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I also have to wonder if Marchionne's move to the VM Motori diesel engines caught Cummins off-guard. I wonder if there will be any backlash from this move. I guess we'll find out.
It's no secret I'm not a fan of Marchionne and I think it's just a matter of time before the industry (and the U.S. press) concludes he's not the exalted leader he wants everyone to think he is.

In my opinion building a 1500 series Ram Truck with a Cummins engine is an absolute no-brainer. There's a market for a light duty diesel truck and the combination of Ram and Cummins would have placed the truck in high demand.

Is there still a market for a light duty Ram 1500 with a VM Motori diesel? Perhaps, but it won't be as easy a sales job as it would have been with a Cummins engine. And if Nissan or Toyota has the Cummins, all bets are off....

Concerning potential backlash from Cummins, if I were running their sales operation I'd go out of my way to make Marchionne regrets his decision to kill the Ram 1500/Cummins project - and the best way to do that is to ink a contract with Nissan or Toyota.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
chryslersrt8

The story I was told was Cummins didn't have the patents ( or similar) to the diesel in Dodge-Ram trucks...Chrysler did. At one time years ago another mfr. was going to buy Cummins for the technology but found out about who owned the rights and deal fell apart. Don't know if it is a true story ( told to me by a dealer near the Cummins plant) but it makes for a good story and would explain why no one else uses Cummins.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
chryslersrt8

Regarding Marchionne, other than being given Chrysler (which saved Fiat) what has he done that would cement his legacy as savior of Chrysler?
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Regarding Marchionne, other than being given Chrysler (which saved Fiat) what has he done that would cement his legacy as savior of Chrysler?
The Dealer Standards program !!!!
NOT !
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
The Dealer Standards program !!!!
NOT !
When I get a chance to get caught-up I think I'll split this topic off to a new thread. I think it might be interesting to illustrate many of Marchionne's decisions that have escaped media scrutiny.