Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default CARMAX Salesperson killed during Test Drive - Customer arrested on drug charges

News reports indicate a CARMAX salesperson in Ontario, CA was killed as a result of a vehicle accident where a Corvette struck a tree during a test drive. For the full report - click here

The report states that a 28 year old customer was driving the Corvette at a high rate of speed and then lost control resulting in the vehicle striking a tree. The driver was arrested by Ontario police for vehicular manslaughter - it is alleged the driver was high on drugs at the time of the accident.

My thoughts and prayers are extended to the family and friends of the salesperson who lost his life.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Driver had a suspended license

The latest news report from the Los Angeles Times indicates the driver of the Corvette had a suspended license and police believe he was impaired by more than one prescription medication. Here's a link to the full story - click here

If you're wondering how a customer with a suspended license was able to take a Corvette for a test drive the answer isn't clear. CARMAX, to their credit, has a process in place that's supposed to prevent someone without a valid license from test driving a vehicle.

Here's an excerpt from the news report detailing the CARMAX process:
Under CarMax's current procedure, the company inspects a customer's driver's license to verify it matches the identity of the customer and is not expired. Before a test drive, the company also uses a scanner to determine whether the license is a valid state-issued ID and not the work of a forger. CarMax also keeps a copy of the license on file for record-keeping purposes, the company statement said.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
mryan55

Very sad story. Sometime's I am surprised that we don't hear more like this, though.

I would imagine that the steps CARMAX has in place helps ensure that those with forged licenses don't get on the road, but I am not sure how much access to the suspension of a license that their tools would have.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Very sad story. Sometime's I am surprised that we don't hear more like this, though.
I agree on both counts.

As time passes I find that the concept of allowing the customer to go out on a test drive on their own has more appeal. Granted, a Corvette is not a car you want to let just anyone drive, but maybe the customer needs to complete a "Borrowed Car Agreement" and show proof of insurance before they test drive a high performance car?

Additionally, with the advances in technology there must be some device that could provide a video recording of the test drive with GPS tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I would imagine that the steps CARMAX has in place helps ensure that those with forged licenses don't get on the road, but I am not sure how much access to the suspension of a license that their tools would have.
While I fortunately do not have any first hand knowledge of suspended drivers licenses, I think in Washington the police would punch a hole in the drivers license if it was suspended. The person could still use the license for identification but it would be clear to law enforcement that the license had been suspended.

That said, you pose a great question - How would CARMAX have known the license was suspended?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
mryan55

I think the hardest thing to identify would be if the license was suspended for something like too many parking tickets, too many points on license, etc... where the license may not be physically 'suspended' by having a hole punched in it, or the corner cut off (as Michigan does).

Either way, it's a sad story but no matter how careful the retailer is I suppose there is always a chance of this happening...
Old 03-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update - Man charged with killing CARMAX salesperson now a fugative

News reports indicate the man charged with killing a CARMAX salesperson as a result of an accident during a test drive is now a fugitive. For the full report - click here

The man who was arrested was released on $100,000 bail and he's now a fugitive.

I wonder if he posted his own bond or whether he used a Bail Bond company? If he used a Bail Bond company you can be sure there are people out looking for him - if he used his own cash he could be gone forever....
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
News reports indicate the man charged with killing a CARMAX salesperson as a result of an accident during a test drive is now a fugitive. For the full report - click here

The man who was arrested was released on $100,000 bail and he's now a fugitive.

I wonder if he posted his own bond or whether he used a Bail Bond company? If he used a Bail Bond company you can be sure there are people out looking for him - if he used his own cash he could be gone forever....
I don't follow too much felony activity and what happens, but I would think that even offering bail in this situation is quite a surprise.