Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default "It's the Obama car...."

OK, I generally try to steer clear of politics because I know they can be very polarizing and I want all of our members to feel welcome here regardless of their political leanings.

That said, I just had to post this story about a Fiat salesperson, Charles Gaeta, in New York who pitches the Fiat 500 as the "Obama Car."

Here's his quote on why he thinks the Fiat 500 is the perfect car for America: “It’s the Obama car,” he said. “He put Fiat and Chrysler in a room together and said, ‘Don’t come out until you have a deal.’ This car is made with an American engine, in Mexico, with Italian parts. In my opinion, it’s one of the most patriotic cars you can buy.”

What really caught my attention was the commentary that followed from Matt Chaban, the writer for The New York Observer: "The president might not be the best person to have in the drivers seat, though. Not only are his poll numbers the worst they've ever been, but hipsters are abandoning President Obama in droves.

Considering that hipsters and yuppies are Fiat’s target demo, this could be an accident waiting to happen."

Here's a link to the story in The New York Observer - click here

In fairness to Charles Gaeta, his pitch might work in a city like New York where the President is still held in high regard. That said, I doubt that's the message Auburn Hills would want to be sending across the country given the poor launch of the Fiat 500.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
The StraightShooter

That's funny. When I talk to customers on my lot this question still comes up almost bi-weekly. When they ask me what happened to all my new cars I answer "Obama."
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
57years

I'm a little more specific, but the "Constitutional (?) Executive" is also referred to when such a topic comes up on my lot!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
“This car is made with an American engine, in Mexico, with Italian parts. In my opinion, it’s one of the most patriotic cars you can buy.”
Good grief. I really, really hope Mr. Gaeta isn't being serious.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
57years

I think the real proof it's an American Car, is when Fiat or Chrysler, files the first legal motion to deny legal liability to one of their owners.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default The President's Approval Rating

While I don't put too much stock into the various "Approval Polls" I did think this one was pretty interesting - click here

The part I thought was most interesting is how a single event, like the capture/killing of Osama Bin Laden, could cause a spike in the President's approval ratings. The gains proved to be short lived, however, as issues like the Federal Debt Ceiling and the Nation's credit rating took center stage.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
I think he's as serious as a heart attack. As before, his pitch may work with some customers but I'm betting Auburn Hills would rather not have most of their potential customers know their new Fiat was assembled in Mexico.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
Mexico and Italy still aren't America so this don't sound so patriotic to me.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote