Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Rod Barajas

Question Would you buy this Mini?

Yes or No? Why?
Rod Barajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
tnpartsguy

Default I did, sorta

I have a '12 Countryman on the way (maybe). BMW lease turn in with under 6k miles. Mini next CPO warranty. I did NOT get an S.... I wanted one, but between the fuel mileage hit, and the extra $4~5 k they were commanding, I passed. Plus they require premium due to the turbo...the regular car suggests premium, but my friend at the local BMW dealer says mid grade is fine for an non-turbo.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I have a '12 Countryman on the way (maybe). BMW lease turn in with under 6k miles. Mini next CPO warranty. I did NOT get an S.... I wanted one, but between the fuel mileage hit, and the extra $4~5 k they were commanding, I passed. Plus they require premium due to the turbo...the regular car suggests premium, but my friend at the local BMW dealer says mid grade is fine for an non-turbo.
Holy thread bump, Batman, this thread's over five years old.

Great to hear that you might be picking up a '12 Countryman - I remember you mentioning that you were thinking about getting one in the past.

Concerning passing on the "S" version - I follow your logic. While it's always nice to have the extra power that the "S" provides it does come at a premium.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
tnpartsguy

Default BMW needs to take some lessons....

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. I now own a 2012 Mini Countryman, and a 2012 GMC Terrain SLT. BMW could take some lessons from GM on customer interfaces; trying to set options on the MINI is beyond tedious, using the little tap button on the end of the turn signal stalk. After 3 days of trying, I FINALLY got the lights to flash when locking the vehicle (STILL can't get the horn to honk). I'm sure the MINI connected Radio would help, as would the Nav Radio, but when I can say that the Chevy Spark has better telemetrics than a MINI, well.... maybe BMW needs to look down at what others have?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
tnpartsguy

Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. I now own a 2012 Mini Countryman, and a 2012 GMC Terrain SLT. BMW could take some lessons from GM on customer interfaces; trying to set options on the MINI is beyond tedious, using the little tap button on the end of the turn signal stalk. After 3 days of trying, I FINALLY got the lights to flash when locking the vehicle (STILL can't get the horn to honk). I'm sure the MINI connected Radio would help, as would the Nav Radio, but when I can say that the Chevy Spark has better telemetrics than a MINI, well.... maybe BMW needs to look down at what others have?
Congratulations on your new car...

It's interesting to hear that MINI's telematics interface is difficult to use. BMW has faced harsh criticism for their I-Drive and it's taken them almost a decade to get the interface to a point where most customers find it somewhat intuitive.

Maybe it's like the whole cup-holder saga - the Germans just have a different way of doing things and "simple" isn't too high on their priority list.

I do see a day, however, when the OEMs will move away from their complex methods of setting a vehicle's telematics system up and offer an iPhone or Android app that can communicate with the car and offer a more user-friendly interface.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
chryslersrt8

My older sister traded in an older BMW 7 series for 1 about a year ago...loved it until her husband got t-boned and it was totaled. She immediately bought another and is still in love with it. Cost of premium offset by fuel and maintenance savings compared to her Bimmer.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
My older sister traded in an older BMW 7 series for 1 about a year ago...loved it until her husband got t-boned and it was totaled. She immediately bought another and is still in love with it. Cost of premium offset by fuel and maintenance savings compared to her Bimmer.
I get the impression that the satisfaction/loyalty rate with MINI owners is very high. The resale values certainly seem to reflect that.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Congratulations on your new car...

Maybe it's like the whole cup-holder saga - the Germans just have a different way of doing things and "simple" isn't too high on their priority list.

I wasn't going to bring up the cupholders, but since you did...

wth... a can will fit....a water bottle will fit...a large drink from ANY drive-in window resturant WON'T fit....