Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > Other > Sales

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
HollySo

Default CSI Scores? HELP!

Hello,
I am very new to the car sales industry (formerly being part of the NAIAS). Very blessed, Ive been given the position of customer relations manager and in charge of getting these CSI scores up!

I want to make a new owners packet, that includes a little "something said" about the survey, and that "goods" just arent good.haha

Any other ideas? What is something people do to improve the scores, or set in awareness of the importance of these surveys to us....Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!
HollySo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

HollySo - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum.

Concerning CSI scores, I think there are a lot of things a dealership can do to ensure that they receive good scores or have an opportunity to fix a problem before bad scores are reported.

Over the years I've witnessed a number of dealerships that tried to "fix the score instead of fixing the store" and I've always been opposed to that. That said, I've also seen stores that provided excellent customer service receive moderate scores because their customers didn't know how important the CSI survey was to the dealership and simply marked everything as "good" instead of "excellent." (To some customers "good" is "excellent" and they'll never mark the survey as "excellent" unless they're told what the OEM's expectations are.)

Concerning a handout that you can include in your New Car Owner's Packet the best insert I've seen is one that includes an image of a CSI survey that's marked as "excellent" and then includes verbiage asking the customer to contact the dealership immediately if they feel they cannot answer their survey in the same fashion. The benefit of this approach is the customer will know what the CSI survey is when they receive their copy in the mail and they'll know that it's important to the dealership.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Let your customers know that all CSI surveys are reveiwed by Dealership Management

Another thought I have at it relates to CSI surveys is to make sure your customers know that all CSI surveys are reviewed my Dealership Management.

This message accomplishes two things:

First, it reinforces that the CSI survey is important and it's the "Dealership's Report Card" which increases the likelihood that the customer will return the CSI survey when they receive their copy in the mail.

Second, many customers just assume that the CSI survey goes directly to the OEM and will never be seen by the dealership. To the extent most people don't like conflict it's less likely that a customer will turn in a "very poor" survey if they know the dealership will receive the results.

The goal, of course, is to encourage the customer to contact the dealership and give them an opportunity to resolve any concerns before a bad survey is sent to the OEM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
s-works

we made stickers that our cashier placed on the customers invoice (big bright orange stickers) that said let us know immediately if you are not completely satisfied. That the cashier would get the manager involved right there. Or if something arises call the manager at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you are not completely satisfied. It also states it is how the manufacturer grades us and is important.

I agree with what XDCX says..The primary goal is to find upset customers or a bad process or employees and educate them in making the experience right. The other benefit is you will get the jerkwads that will hold the survey over your head over something that is not legit. Usually followed by quid pro quo. I am not saying we did this but I do know some dealers that would then hold on to their warranty work and not submit it until the time elapsed where the customer would not qualify for a survey (usually 3-4 weeks). If you do really have a problem that folder will start to build up. If guys are hiding legit issues you have a bigger issue on your hands.

It somewhat empowers the advisors to protect legitimate CSI issues that are not in your control. But you do have to watch that they do not hold the legitimate surveys up (customer pissed because they never got a call back, customer is upset because the car was misdiagnosed) and skew the results to your scores by masking real issues.
s-works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
s-works

Sales is tougher because you the salesperson wants to move on to the next sale.

Verify every sales persons calls their customers to say thank you after the sale. make sure the customer understands the features and benefits of the car. If they do not have them see their salesperson. If they do remind them that they will get a survey and if they cant fillout anything completely satisfied then you guys have failed.

tailor your follow up questions to the areas on your CSI that are lacking.
s-works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
chryslersrt8

Left a thank you piece of candy on the dash along with service manager's business card. We also gave everyone a 5 question survey on a self addressed stamped post card. We got more and better responses as people were happy not to be bothered by phone surveys. Any negatives were addressed the day we received the survey. But the best thing you can do to improve your csi...hire and train great people, then pay them a fair/competitive wage. We also had meals brought in 2 times a year for service/ parts people. I sent a note to the service people's families at least every year telling them what a great job their parent/souse did and how grateful we were to have them.

Our csi seldom dropped below 95. I would say we did everything right but we obviously didn't since we were whacked in 2009.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
But the best thing you can do to improve your csi...hire and train great people, then pay them a fair/competitive wage. We also had meals brought in 2 times a year for service/ parts people. I sent a note to the service people's families at least every year telling them what a great job their parent/souse did and how grateful we were to have them.
Great comments. I love the idea of sending a note to the home of some employees so their parent/spouse knows you're grateful to have their family member as an employee. That's a classy thing to do and I'm sure the employees appreciate the gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Our csi seldom dropped below 95. I would say we did everything right but we obviously didn't since we were whacked in 2009.
There's no question that the OLDCO cuts were not fair and that both GM and Chrysler lost a lot of great dealers in the name of "shared sacrifice."
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
JUNIOR

With Kia, The surveys are extremely important. In fact, Kia pays a salesperson a flat $100 or more on certain cars as long as your survey scores remain above 93%. They would only pay half below that number. Now if the salesperson's score dips below 93%, they get nothing. I give everybody a copy of the survey and review it with them on delivery. I also inform them that I do read their responses and to contact me before filling out the survey if they cannot give us perfect scores. I tell the customers that the salespersons income depends on the surveys as well. This is further reinforced by my salespeople. We have the highest scores in our district, we must be getting the poitn accross.
JUNIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIOR View Post
With Kia, The surveys are extremely important. In fact, Kia pays a salesperson a flat $100 or more on certain cars as long as your survey scores remain above 93%. They would only pay half below that number. Now if the salesperson's score dips below 93%, they get nothing. I give everybody a copy of the survey and review it with them on delivery. I also inform them that I do read their responses and to contact me before filling out the survey if they cannot give us perfect scores. I tell the customers that the salespersons income depends on the surveys as well. This is further reinforced by my salespeople. We have the highest scores in our district, we must be getting the poitn accross.
Thanks for the post - great information.

With $100/car at risk I'm sure KIA has the attention of their salespeople and everyone in the dealership works hard ensure customer satisfaction.

I like the way you review the survey with the customers and given your dealership's strong results your process is clearly working.