Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default 2017 Chrysler Pacifica appears to be a Home Run

2017 Chrysler Pacifica appears to be a Home Run

FCA unveiled the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica at the Detroit Auto Show this morning and based on everything that I've read and seen the vehicle appears to be a Home Run.

Personally I really like the styling and while I'm not a huge fan of the Pacifica name I do think it projects a more youthful image than the Town and Country name.

The availability of a hybrid option is intriguing especially since this is an area where Chrysler and FCA have lagged in for so long. (Anyone remember the hybrid vehicles Nardelli showed off on CNBC? 100% pure vaporware.)

At this point the only major variable that's unknown is pricing. Unless Auburn Hills really screws up on the launch of the Pacifica or the pricing it would appear they'll have a hit on their hands.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

While I know there are a lot of media sources covering the unveiling of the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica here's a link to a report from The Detroit Free Press that I think does a great job - click here

I was a bit surprised to read that there will be six models of the Pacifica available initially with two additional models available when the hybrid version is released in the second half of 2016. Maybe I'm too simplistic of a person but sometimes "less is more" when it comes to making it easy for customers to make a decision and find the vehicle they want.

On another note, it would have been nice to see a short wheel base version of the new Pacifica but that seems to be a segment that most OEMs are ignoring now.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
TNtech

Not that POS again.....

Maybe it won't suck this time.
TNtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtech View Post
Not that POS again.....

Maybe it won't suck this time.
If you're referring to the Chrysler Pacifica from the '04 - '08 era I'm guessing to a large degree the public has already forgotten about those vehicles.

Additionally, in my opinion, the original Pacifica wasn't a bad vehicle - in many ways it was ahead of it's time. Granted the 3.5 V6 may have been underpowered and the vehicle would have benefitted from a better transmission but the overall concept of a cross-over SUV was strong.

Ironically, what I think killed the Pacifica was a poor launch from Auburn Hills - the initial price point was too high and the majority of the early build units had too much equipment which resulted in sticker shock.

Hopefully Auburn Hills won't make the same mistake with their second Pacifica launch.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While I know there are a lot of media sources covering the unveiling of the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica here's a link to a report from The Detroit Free Press that I think does a great job - click here

I was a bit surprised to read that there will be six models of the Pacifica available initially with two additional models available when the hybrid version is released in the second half of 2016. Maybe I'm too simplistic of a person but sometimes "less is more" when it comes to making it easy for customers to make a decision and find the vehicle they want.

On another note, it would have been nice to see a short wheel base version of the new Pacifica but that seems to be a segment that most OEMs are ignoring now.
The Detroit Free Press always does a heck of a job with the NAIAS coverage... I can be proud of my hometown paper for that

I think it will be a good product to have in our showrooms, although I am sure that the pricing can get out of hand when you start ticking all the boxes.

As for a short-wheel base minivan, IIRC the whole DaimlerChrysler plan was to have the Journey replace the SWB vans. That's worked out well, right?

In reality, the Journey has had a good ride the last few years too. Standard third row on most trim levels came in 2015, and one heck of a lease program -- especially on the R/T FWD in employee markets in the GLBC -- have also helped us sell a few more Journeys than usual.

I will making my trip to the NAIAS on Sunday, so I will take some pictures and have some insight for FCA and the rest of what I see. It will give me something to do with a few days away from the dealership. I am excited to see the minivan and although I am not always the biggest GM supporter (ok, never) I am interested to see the Buick Avista as well as the Buick Cascada convertible which is actually entering production. Seems an odd and shrinking segment for a volume brand, but we will see.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I think it will be a good product to have in our showrooms, although I am sure that the pricing can get out of hand when you start ticking all the boxes.
The pricing will be interesting. There's no question that more than one vehicle launch for most OEMs has been screwed up because the Execs either missed the mark on pricing or model mix. Hopefully Auburn Hills will get it right with the new Pacifica.

Concerning pricing, anyone remember the days when Chrysler used to launch a car at a low price and then have a series of mid-year price increases? I remember the Chrysler Cirrus followed that pattern and I thought it was a brilliant strategy to get the vehicle off to a fast start so the public can get used to seeing them on the streets.

Quote:
As for a short-wheel base minivan, IIRC the whole DaimlerChrysler plan was to have the Journey replace the SWB vans. That's worked out well, right?

In reality, the Journey has had a good ride the last few years too. Standard third row on most trim levels came in 2015, and one heck of a lease program -- especially on the R/T FWD in employee markets in the GLBC -- have also helped us sell a few more Journeys than usual.
Interesting. Doesn't the Journey have a short future with FCA or do I have that wrong? I really haven't followed Chrysler's product plan too closely.

While I still like the SWB Minivan based on the volume the old 22T package used to generate I can see the Journey as being a suitable substitute. I saw a Journey R/T the other day and thought it looked pretty decent.

Quote:
I will making my trip to the NAIAS on Sunday, so I will take some pictures and have some insight for FCA and the rest of what I see. It will give me something to do with a few days away from the dealership. I am excited to see the minivan and although I am not always the biggest GM supporter (ok, never) I am interested to see the Buick Avista as well as the Buick Cascada convertible which is actually entering production. Seems an odd and shrinking segment for a volume brand, but we will see.
I hope you have an awesome time.

It's been awhile since I've been to the Detroit Auto Show but it was definitely a cool experience for someone who loves cars.

Concerning the Buick Avista, I think it looks awesome. While I know the two-door luxury/performance segment is weak I think Buick should build the car and call it the Grand National - paying tribute to the only real performance car of the mid-80s.

Last edited by XDCX; 01-15-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Changed "strong" to "weak" - my hands were not in sync with my brain...
Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Concerning the Buick Avista, I think it looks awesome. While I know the two-door luxury/performance segment is strong I think Buick should build the car and call it the Grand National - paying tribute to the only real performance car of the mid-80s.
Here's a picture - based on what little I've read it could be built on the Camaro platform....

Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
mryan55

I do believe the Journey is here long term. The 2014 product plan mentioned creating a 'high performance' offshoot of the Journey as well. Not sure if that is needed, but having a good lease program on the RT and a strong retail plan on other CPOS keeps the Journey a winner in my book.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I do believe the Journey is here long term. The 2014 product plan mentioned creating a 'high performance' offshoot of the Journey as well. Not sure if that is needed, but having a good lease program on the RT and a strong retail plan on other CPOS keeps the Journey a winner in my book.
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully FCA will keep the Journey around and keep the incentives high so Dealers will have a vehicle on their lot they can use for customers who are buried with negative equity. From FCA's perspective the tooling on the Journey has long since been paid for and their incremental expense to build one has to be pretty damn cheap - especially since I think it's built in Mexico.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
mryan55

Yep... the Journey is built in Toluca, Estado de Mexico and is about seven years old at this post so I would say that it will likely stay around and will have plenty of incentives to help us get them over the curb.

However part of the new UAW agreement I know the plan is to move SUV production to the states while sending the 200 to Mexico, so at some point we might have to contend with the Journey being built in US$, but time will tell.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #11
mryan55

As for the Pacifica, I had a chance to somewhat hands on with it on Sunday. It is a very nice vehicle, although I don't know if it is a total game changer in any way other the price. It appears that the LX model will have equipment roughly equal to the Grand Caravan American Value Package which you can realistically purchase for $18k to $19k after incentives.

I would imagine there will be some premium for the new design, so I would imagine that a starting price for Pacifica LX will be in the $25k range.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
As for the Pacifica, I had a chance to somewhat hands on with it on Sunday. It is a very nice vehicle, although I don't know if it is a total game changer in any way other the price. It appears that the LX model will have equipment roughly equal to the Grand Caravan American Value Package which you can realistically purchase for $18k to $19k after incentives.

I would imagine there will be some premium for the new design, so I would imagine that a starting price for Pacifica LX will be in the $25k range.
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully Auburn Hills will get the launch of the Pacifica correct and the vehicle will be a volume piece for the Dealers.

If I can ask, did the Pacifica seem to be a big draw at the Detroit Auto Show and if so what were the reactions. Most everything that I have read about the Pacifica has been positive.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Yep... the Journey is built in Toluca, Estado de Mexico and is about seven years old at this post so I would say that it will likely stay around and will have plenty of incentives to help us get them over the curb.

However part of the new UAW agreement I know the plan is to move SUV production to the states while sending the 200 to Mexico, so at some point we might have to contend with the Journey being built in US$, but time will tell.
Thanks for the update.

I just did a quick Google Search and read a story in Automotive News that was almost two years old indicating that the Journey production would move to Sterling Heights in 2016 when the next version of the Journey was released.

Given that the article is almost two years old it's hard to say that FCA's plans haven't changed. The article mentioned that it was not clear what FCA would be building at the Toluca plant once the Journey and the Fiat 500 were moved. (The next Fiat 500 will be 100% sourced from Poland according to the report.)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
mryan55

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

I just did a quick Google Search and read a story in Automotive News that was almost two years old indicating that the Journey production would move to Sterling Heights in 2016 when the next version of the Journey was released.

Given that the article is almost two years old it's hard to say that FCA's plans haven't changed. The article mentioned that it was not clear what FCA would be building at the Toluca plant once the Journey and the Fiat 500 were moved. (The next Fiat 500 will be 100% sourced from Poland according to the report.)
The 200 is moving to Mexico I believe, so Toluca would be my guess. That production would probably surpass or at least equal Journey and Fiat 500 together.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #15
mryan55

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully Auburn Hills will get the launch of the Pacifica correct and the vehicle will be a volume piece for the Dealers.

If I can ask, did the Pacifica seem to be a big draw at the Detroit Auto Show and if so what were the reactions. Most everything that I have read about the Pacifica has been positive.
It was a good draw. On the main floor they had two Pacificas that were locked up along with a spokesmodel. That area was packed.

In an upstairs area they had a "Pacifica Play Area" where you could play around with the new van. I am excited for the launch this summer.