Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Honda/Acura > Sales

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
tnpartsguy

Post Will this help bring about real world MPG statements?

http://http://www.latimes.com/busine...0,845180.story

Honda loses a small-claims case, but in the end, will any of the manufactuers 'adjust' their MPG claims?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I'm catching up and just read this thread for the first time today.

I noticed the link in your post now goes to a dead page - here's the current link to the article in the LA Times - click here

I read the report and thought it was interesting that the plaintiff (a former lawyer) decided to opt-out of a Class Action Case against Honda because her settlement would likely only amount to $100 - $200 plus a voucher for a future vehicle purchase. By taking Honda to Small Claims Court she won a judgment of over $9500.

The article indicated that Honda will likely appeal the decision and defend their position with legal counsel - Honda was not allowed to use their attorneys in Small Claims Court.

Personally, I don't think this is the beginning of a new trend. In my opinion most consumers are not prepared to present a compelling case in court and those who could would likely fear an appeal by the OEM to a higher court which would require them to hire legal counsel.

To your point, I hope the OEMs take notice of this case and adjust their advertising to better match reality.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote