Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Barrett-Jackson - Scottsdale 2010

I had a chance to attend the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale on Thursday and spend many hours watching the coverage on Speed TV. (That mostly explains why I haven't spent much time on the forum for the past several days.)

Although there were still dozens of cars that sold for $100K+ it was very clear the value of collectible cars has taken a hit just like the stock marker. Based on historic prices, some of the Hemi E-bodies and Superbirds looked cheap.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
possum

I love watching the auction, and "someday" I want to attend it. I'm thinking about making the trip to Palm Springs in April.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
MARV

My wife and I are HUGE fans of BJ. We even watch the reruns.
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
LJS

A fellow Auctioneer I work with once a week at a Manheim auction works out there as a ringman. He is a really good auctioneer but he is a way down the line for a turn to get on the block. I'd darn near give my right arm to sell out there, it's kinda like being in the world series for an auctioneer.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
possum

The big difference however, is speed. At Manheim, things are moving fast! The buyer has to be ready. At BJ, the buyers seem to have forever to decide.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default I wonder how many sellers buy their own car?

Given that Barrett-Jackson runs a no-reserve auction I'd love to know what percentage of the "buyers" are people who simply repurchased their own vehicle because the price was too low?

I noticed on several occasions the person who made the winning bid didn't look happy. I kept wondering if it was the owner of the vehicle expressing his frustration that he just took a 20% hit and still needs to haul the car home.

It also seemed odd that the Minter T-Birds all sold for $95 - $100K when identical looking T-Birds sold for $30 - $40K less. I know that Minter has a great reputation, but I still have a hard time believing their restoration warrants a $40K premium. (My suspicion grew when Craig Jackson cited the selling price of the Minter T-Birds as evidence that the collector car market is still strong.)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I love watching the auction, and "someday" I want to attend it. I'm thinking about making the trip to Palm Springs in April.
I would definitely recommend it, I had a great time.

I went with my dad so we only spent half a day at the auction. Because we went on one of their slower days the ticket price was only $10/ticket and allowed us access from 5 p.m. to close.

I also noticed that Barrett-Jackson is adding an auction in Orange County this year. At some point I'm thinking people are going to question why they're paying 20% commission for a vehicle transaction, but in the mean time it's interesting to follow.