Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Do keyless ignition systems provide value or was the old method better?

I read a news report last month about a lawsuit that's been filed against Ford Motor Company because two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning when they inadvertently left their 2013 Lincoln MKS idling in their attached garage. For a link to the news report - click here

I'd be curious to hear from people who deal with customers on a daily basis whether the new keyless ignition systems are an important selling feature or whether they create more problems than they solve?

I know from my personal experience that my Dad initially liked the keyless ignition technology on his 2014 Chrysler 300 when he bought it but has become frustrated with it over time and now wishes it just worked like his old cars did.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I'm surprised there are no comments on this thread. Maybe the new keyless ignition systems are not as big of a headache that I thought they were.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Keys tin the freezer.....

Anyone ever heard of customers placing their keyless ignition fob in the freezer when the car's not in use?

Apparently some customers are concerned that thieve can "clone" their keyless ignition fob with sophisticated electronic devices and then come back later and steal their car.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
steve_biegler

I've wondered, as these cars get older and starting problems start happening how will the push buttons work if there is a stumble at crank and initial start?
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I've wondered, as these cars get older and starting problems start happening how will the push buttons work if there is a stumble at crank and initial start?
That's an interesting question.

If a newer car with a push button starter fails to start immediately can you just hold the button in to continue cranking the engine? I assume that the push button would work the same way a keyed ignition system would work but maybe that's not the case.

I also wonder how much of a warning the newer cars provide owners when the battery strength of the key fob is getting too low to activate the system. Is the warning period a matter of days, weeks or months?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
jayhawk

its only an issue if it breaks out of warranty, then it should be paid for by anyone other than the owner.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
its only an issue if it breaks out of warranty, then it should be paid for by anyone other than the owner.
It will be interesting to see what the failure rates are like on the keyless remotes as the technology continues to age.

It appears that Chrysler started to use the keyless ignition systems on select vehicles back in 2011 so if there are quality/longevity issues they should start to appear soon.

On a semi related note, I checked Ebay and I was surprised that the secondary market for Chrysler Keyless Ignition Key Fobs was loaded with supply and the prices were pretty cheap. A replacement key fob goes for between $30 - $40.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
mryan55

Yep, Keyless Enter and Go launched in 2011 on the Journey, 300/Charger, Grand Cherokee/Durango and Town and Country/Grand Caravan in some trim levels... standard on the JC and LX back in 2011 and optional on others. Since then it's pretty much become the standard, with WK/WD adding it standard in 2014 and the new body 200 has it standard as well.

I'm not sure what the threshold for the low battery warning, but I've never had a customer caught off guard (at least that made it to me to tell me)... with the FCA vehicles, in the event the the fob battery is completely dead you can always get into the car with the valet key and push in the the start/stop button with the end of the dead key and it will fire it. Not ideal, but at least it lets you get to the store to get a battery!

There are lots of third-party companies that will cut you the key -- if we have a non-FCA used car sometimes we will use these companies to cut a key or program a fob rather than send the car out. Averages $100 per fob and key combo.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I'm not sure what the threshold for the low battery warning, but I've never had a customer caught off guard (at least that made it to me to tell me)... with the FCA vehicles, in the event the the fob battery is completely dead you can always get into the car with the valet key and push in the the start/stop button with the end of the dead key and it will fire it. Not ideal, but at least it lets you get to the store to get a battery!
Thanks for the information.

I didn't know there was a procedure for starting a FCA vehicle that had a dead key fob battery. As they say, you learn something new every day.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
mryan55

Actually, I didn't know this at first either -- but this procedure (or something similar) holds true for a lot of manufacturers! On some vehicles you hold the key under the steering column, or in the center armrest... all kinds of little tricks!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Actually, I didn't know this at first either -- but this procedure (or something similar) holds true for a lot of manufacturers! On some vehicles you hold the key under the steering column, or in the center armrest... all kinds of little tricks!
That reminds me of the story about the man who died in his Corvette because the battery discharged and disabled the inside door release.

I guess there's a bypass mechanism for the Corvette that still allows a person to get out of the car but you're pretty much screwed if you don't know what the bypass mechanism is.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That reminds me of the story about the man who died in his Corvette because the battery discharged and disabled the inside door release.

I guess there's a bypass mechanism for the Corvette that still allows a person to get out of the car but you're pretty much screwed if you don't know what the bypass mechanism is.
I guess with everything becoming more automated and electric versus mechanical you should always keep your smartphone in your pocket in case you have to google for an answer!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Default How far will a car go if the key is no longer in the vehicle?

I was driving my Dad's 2014 Chrysler 300 a few weeks ago and I dropped my Dad off at the sidewalk in front of his house and he took the key fob with the house key to open the front door.

A message popped up in the center of the dash indicating that the key fob was no longer in the vehicle but the car kept running. I drove the car about 40 yards down the street so I could make a U-turn and then park the car in his driveway. I was somewhat surprised that the car kept running even though it was as much as 40 yards away from the key fob.

Does anyone have any idea how far a car will continue to go once the key fob is out of the vehicle?

In the above situation, the car likely lost the key fob signal once the car was 10 - 15 yards away so I'm guessing if the car shuts down it must be based on time rather than signal strength.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
mr4t60e

My Hyundai Genesis will continue to run until shut off. It will sound the door unlock chime continuously every time a door is shut as a reminder, so in the interest of not waking the neighbors up when I start my car in the morning, I don't fully close the door. Problem solved.

Also of note, Hyundai does not provide any advance notice of the key fob battery running low. I had intermittent issues with the fob not being detected while in my pocket, but it would start the car when placed in the receptacle in the dash, so before dropping $300 on a new fob, I bought a battery instead. Haven't had an issue since.

About the only drawback of this system is the cost of replacement fobs. Other than that, I wish my house and motorcycle had similar systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I was driving my Dad's 2014 Chrysler 300 a few weeks ago and I dropped my Dad off at the sidewalk in front of his house and he took the key fob with the house key to open the front door.

A message popped up in the center of the dash indicating that the key fob was no longer in the vehicle but the car kept running. I drove the car about 40 yards down the street so I could make a U-turn and then park the car in his driveway. I was somewhat surprised that the car kept running even though it was as much as 40 yards away from the key fob.

Does anyone have any idea how far a car will continue to go once the key fob is out of the vehicle?

In the above situation, the car likely lost the key fob signal once the car was 10 - 15 yards away so I'm guessing if the car shuts down it must be based on time rather than signal strength.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
My Hyundai Genesis will continue to run until shut off. It will sound the door unlock chime continuously every time a door is shut as a reminder, so in the interest of not waking the neighbors up when I start my car in the morning, I don't fully close the door. Problem solved.
Wow, that's interesting, I would have lost money on that bet. I wonder if different OEMs handle that situation differently?

I do recall hearing a story about a person who had a vehicle with a keyless ignition and they left the car running but locked the door when they went inside a convenience store. (The person left their kid in the car seat and wanted to keep the AC running.)

A thief somehow managed to get in the car and then drove away. The police indicated the thief abandoned the car a short distance away - I just assumed the car stopped when it was too far away from the key fob but maybe the thief just bailed out once he saw there was a kid in the car?

Quote:
Also of note, Hyundai does not provide any advance notice of the key fob battery running low. I had intermittent issues with the fob not being detected while in my pocket, but it would start the car when placed in the receptacle in the dash, so before dropping $300 on a new fob, I bought a battery instead. Haven't had an issue since.
Good information. I figured the key fobs would be like my laptop's wireless mouse and provide a lot of advance notification of impending battery discharge.

Quote:
About the only drawback of this system is the cost of replacement fobs. Other than that, I wish my house and motorcycle had similar systems.
While I don't have any suggestions for your motorcycle I was surprised at how many wireless home security devices were available the last time I went to Best Buy. There were at least two different lock makers that were offering deadbolt locks that opened via Bluetooth on your smartphone.