Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #91
57years

Didn't I see where Boise is going to the "BIG EAST"? UC and UL might be tougher than they think. I can't imagine why Houston or San Diego would want to be in the "Big East!"
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #92
XDCX
Administrator

Default ASU and June Jones - What a cluster......

How does this happen - ASU leaks that June Jones is going to be their new football coach and then they change their mind?

The spin locally is ASU's AD is not well liked by the top dollar boosters and the boosters didn't like her decision to hire June Jones and threatened to pull their support. ASU, fearing the loss of some of their top dollar boosters, threw June Jones under the bus and stated they are no longer in discussion with him or his agents.

What a mess. Based on what I've read so far it appears that ASU is 100% responsible for this cluster and I hope Jones makes them pay.

Concerning Jones, I followed him when he was coaching at Hawaii and I really liked him. It will be interesting to see what happens from here but I'd be surprised if he stayed at SMU after it was leaked he had accepted a job with ASU. Time will tell...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #93
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Didn't I see where Boise is going to the "BIG EAST"? UC and UL might be tougher than they think. I can't imagine why Houston or San Diego would want to be in the "Big East!"
Yep, it will be interesting to see how the change plays out for Boise State but we'll have to wait until 2013 to find out.

Here's a great article that recaps the Boise State deal - click here

Overall it appears to be a good move for Boise State and should provide them with a tougher schedule. That said, it seems strange that Boise State will play in the Big East for football and the WAC for all of the other sports.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #94
57years

I guess they are only partially "OUT OF WAC!" Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #95
jayhawk

kansas got charlie weiss. good hire.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #96
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
kansas got charlie weiss. good hire.
That will be interesting.

I was never a fan of Charlie Weis based on his performance at Notre Dame but you can't argue the fact that he's got three Super Bowl rings from his days with the New England Patriots.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #97
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I agree that Boise got screwed and it's all about the money but frankly I was happy they got screwed over.

To be clear, I like Boise State and I think they've got a great program and it's enjoyable to watch their games. That said, I resent the fact Boise State only plays one or two tough teams per year and then they think they should be contenders for the National Championship.

In my opinion football is a physical game and it's tough to prepare each week (mentally and physically) for an opponent that can beat you. In Boise State's case they have one or two tough games and then they can coast for the rest of the season. Add injuries to the equation and having a cupcake schedule is even more unfair.

Concerning TCU, I haven't followed them closely enough to render an opinion.
I agree that Boise overall has a fairly weak schedule ...however, when they DO play ranked opponents, they've had a pretty impressive win/loss ratio. In 2007, they beat #2 ranked Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl...in 2008 they only had one loss ( to #11 TCU) and beat a top 10 Oregon team...in 2009 they beat #14 Oregon and #3 TCU in the Fiesta Bowl...in 2010 they played 4 top 25 teams, and beat 3 of them...losing only to an undefeated TCU team that was ranked #2. You gotta' give'em some credit.

If you take a close look at all the automatic qualifier conferences, you'll find that there are alot of weak teams in them also. LSU and Alabama only played 3 other ranked teams this year. That's just not something that comes up in the on air discussions by the sportscasters very often except when talking about non auto qualifier teams like Boise or TCU the last few years. The ACC, Big East, Pac 12, Big 10 don't have more than 2 or 3 top 25 teams most of the time either. Alot depends on the Coach's desire to go out and schedule tough games out of conference...most choose not to, just because an early season loss can knock them out of the title chase at the start of the season.

In TCU's case, Patterson has always tried to go out and schedule games with the best teams out of auto qualifier conferences that will agree to play them, including top ranked Longhorns, Sooners, Clemson, Oregon etc.. (some have no interest in playing a team they think may beat them and others have backed out of scheduled games--Texas Tech has pulled out last 2 years in a row). TCU's record of playing ranked teams is as good as anyone out there in recent years. In 2008, they went 11-2, played 4 teams in top 10 and beat undefeated Boise in bowl game...in 2009 they played 4 top 20 teams, went 12-1, the only loss being to Boise in Fiesta Bowl...in 2010 they went 13-0, undefeated, played 4 top 25 teams, and beat #6 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl...this year they've played 2 top 15 teams and are 10-2 going into the Poinsettia Bowl against an unranked team. That's not TCU's fault...they had 2 Big 12 teams scheduled, but Texas Tech pulled out again on the season opener and it was too late to find another good team...they did what they could do, but for the non qualifiers its often not enough.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #98
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Same reason TCU was going there before they got invited into Big 12...to get that automatic qualifier status...see my long winded post above...lol
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #99
XDCX
Administrator

Default UCLA hires Jim Mora and their supporters are not happy

Over the weekend UCLA announced they've hired Jim Mora to replace Rick Neuheisal and the UCLA fan base doesn't sound too happy about the decision.

Here's an excerpt from the BruinsNation.com:
Let's start this Monday morning with a call in action reminder from this weekend. The Jim L. Mora to UCLA move is done. There is not much realistic actions that can be taken now to undo what has been arguably the most disappointing hire of this year's college football coaching carousel.
At one point a few years ago Mora was the top choice to replace Willingham as coach of the UW Huskies - in fact the selection of Sarkesian was actually a "second best" situation when it was announced.

Since then Mora went to the Seahawks where he performed poorly. As a Husky fan I'm super happy we ended up with Sarkesian instead of Mora.

Concerning Mora and UCLA, I'd bet against a long-term marriage but time will tell.....
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #100
XDCX
Administrator

Default How is it possible to score 56 points and still lose?

I guess the answer is you let the other team score 67 points!!

Well my Huskies lost their game with Baylor last night and although I was hoping for a win it was still an enjoyable game to watch.

It was an epic game that managed to set two records - highest combined points in a post-season bowl game and highest combined yards ofoffensee for a post-season bowl game.

To the extent Baylor was ranked 12 and the Huskies have been unranked for most of the year the game was closer than I thought it would be.

On a final note, props to Baylor for having a such an impressive offense. The pace of the game was so fast the Huskies didn't have a chance to substitute defensive players and fatigue was clearly setting in.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #101
chryslersrt8

A football purist would argue #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama or #3 Oklahoma would be a better game to watch, but for me, last night's game was one of the most entertaining I have seen in a long time. Both sides of the ball for both teams have to be totally exhausted today!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #102
DealerEx

It was quite a little track meet. As one of the commentators said: "I haven't seen anything like this since arena football". Don't know about everywhere else, but here in Texas we have 6-man football for the real small schools...totally wide open offenses with little defense...common to have teams score 70 points or more...even have a "70 point rule" that ends the game at halftime if one team is up by 70 or more points. That's what alot of people around here compared it to. fun to watch tho!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #103
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
A football purist would argue #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama or #3 Oklahoma would be a better game to watch, but for me, last night's game was one of the most entertaining I have seen in a long time. Both sides of the ball for both teams have to be totally exhausted today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
It was quite a little track meet. As one of the commentators said: "I haven't seen anything like this since arena football". Don't know about everywhere else, but here in Texas we have 6-man football for the real small schools...totally wide open offenses with little defense...common to have teams score 70 points or more...even have a "70 point rule" that ends the game at halftime if one team is up by 70 or more points. That's what alot of people around here compared it to. fun to watch tho!
While it was an entertaining game to watch the Husky Faithful have been going insane with the amount of yardage Washington's been giving up. Baylor racked up 770 yards of offense - that's almost a half mile....

The good news is Washington's coach just fired three defensive coaches and he's searching for new talent.

On a different note, I love the 70 point rule. I guess it's fair to assume if your team is down by 70+ points that the game is somewhat out of hand.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #104
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Special thanks to West Virginia....

I'd like to extend my personal thanks to West Virginia's football program for amassing 70 points against Clemson last night - it made the Huskies loss to Baylor a little less embarrassing. (OK, not that much less embarrassing, but a little bit....)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #105
XDCX
Administrator

Default I guess that's why they play the games......

Holy smokes - what an impressive job by Alabama last night. LSU didn't even manage to cross midfield until the fourth quarter.

Part of me was hoping for a close game and a narrow victory for Alabama so there would be a controversy concerning who the #1 team is but there's no question Alabama deserves their #1 ranking from both polls.

For the record, I still hate the BCS system and I think it's insane that there was a 44 day lapse between last night's game and the last time either team was on the field.