Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Midwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
ohiobuckeyes

Default Bob McDorman Chevrolet

Over the weekend Bob McDorman (78) auctioned (Mecum) off this personal collection of 150 vehicles which included Corvettes.

Bidders had the chance to get some one-of-a-kind models, such as 12 Corvettes that bear the serial number "1," meaning they were the first to come off the production line for their model year. He also owns at least one of every Corvette model year since the model began in 1953.

The sale will go well beyond Corvettes, though, with models that predate the distinctive sports car, such as the Chevrolet S6, a two-door roadster from 1932. Along with my personal favorite final public production of the SSR.

I did some checking with the Ohio Automotive Title Database which is open to the public and some of these vehicle had liens that where released on or around November 2.

Also, the proceeds from the sale will help reduce his dealership's debt, which will lower his interest payments and make it easier to pay for improvements to the showroom.

Today it was published in the Columbus Dispatch that Mr. McDorman had raised $7 Million dollars.

Their are reports in the Columbus area that an "wind down" Chevrolet dealership is looking to purchase this location.

Here are the link to the stories in the Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...y-goodbye.html

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...of-dreams.html

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...7-million.html

Mecum Link: http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consig...consignday=ALL
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

It's a tough time to be selling off a collection of muscle cars - I hope he was selling them because he wanted to and not because he was forced to.

By the sounds of it, it appears the auction must have been either a no-reserve or a low-reserve setting and most of the cars sold.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
steve_biegler

http://www.autonews.com/article/2010...4/101119971/-1
Auto News article on the auction.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
possum

Wow, I personnally would not sell those cars, just to reduce debt and plow it back into the car biz. That would be like winning the lottery, and staying in this business untill its all gone. The future value of that collection would be higher than the future in the car biz.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
CL Pgh

Small world... I graduated HS from Canal Winchester and have been on this lot MANY times as a kid. He had a corvette show every year that drew a big crowd. About 32-33 yrs ago McDorman had a big fire in one of the barns he owned... it was always rumored he lost several of his vettes in that fire. From the AN article that appears to be just a rumor as they mentioned he had vettes from each year.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

Bob McDorman Chevrolet has been sold to Jeff Wyler Automotive out of Cincinnati, Ohio. The purchase was disclosed to the McDorman employee's on August 1, 2011. McDorman to retain a minority stake in the dealership for four years. That allows McDorman to achieve his goal of being a Chevrolet dealer for 50 years. This deal took only 15-minute conversation.

Business Courier
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
57years

Here's one of he dealers, younger than my Dad and older than I, whom really made it happen for GM. He pulled all the factory referral business out of Dayton for his big volume Corvette business, then parleyed it. He really became connected into top GM because he could dump Corvettes in bad times. From what I uderstand, a gentleman too! I'm afraid his customers are now in for a big surprise.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Bob McDorman Chevrolet has been sold to Jeff Wyler Automotive out of Cincinnati, Ohio. The purchase was disclosed to the McDorman employee's on August 1, 2011. McDorman to retain a minority stake in the dealership for four years. That allows McDorman to achieve his goal of being a Chevrolet dealer for 50 years. This deal took only 15-minute conversation.

Business Courier
Thanks for the update.

It's cool that both parties were able to work out a deal in 15 minutes and the new dealer came up with a solution which will allow McDorman a chance to achieve his goal of being a Chevrolet dealer for 50 years.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
ohiobuckeyes

I'm sad to report today that Mr. McDorman has passed away from an illness.

Here is a link to the story from the Columbus Dispatch http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...rman-dies.html