Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

View Poll Results: Would your Dealership sell a Used Car involved in the Toyota Recall?
Yes, we would sell and deliver the vehicle 1 8.33%
Yes, we would sell the vehicle but not allow delivery until the recall had been performed 1 8.33%
No, we would not sell the vehicle. It would be "grounded" until the recall had been performed 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Would your Dealership sell a Used Car involved in the Toyota Recall?

Would your Dealership sell a Used Car involved in the Toyota Recall?

While it's clear Toyota's decision not to sell new vehicles involved in the recent recall is required to conform to U.S. law, it does not appear there are any laws in place to prevent a dealer from selling a Used Car that's part of the recall campaign.

That said, many companies have already taken actions in response to the recall:
  • Manheim and ADESA have stopped sales of vehicles involved in the recall
  • Hertz, Enterprise and AVIS have all removed vehicles involved in the recall from their active fleet
  • CARMAX has suspended sales of New and Used vehicles involved in the recall.
Would your Dealership sell a Used Car involved in the Toyota Recall?

Please take our poll and share your thoughts
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
newdealerman

I have a 2009 Camry. I don't know if it is involved or not. But it has been grounded!
newdealerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdealerman View Post
I have a 2009 Camry. I don't know if it is involved or not. But it has been grounded!
Based on what I just read from the Toyota website it appears the vehicle is NOT involved if the first character of the VIN is a "J" - signaling that the vehicle was build in Japan. If the first character of the VIN is anything other than a "J" it appears the vehicle would be subject to the recall.

Here's a link to the relevant page from Toyota's website - click here
Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Why not Japan? They must have gotten there accelerator assemblies from another supplier?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Why not Japan? They must have gotten there accelerator assemblies from another supplier?
Yes, the Camrys made in Japan use a part made by Denso so they're not included.

It would be really interesting to compare the claims of sudden acceleration on the U.S. built Camrys to the ones made in Japan. If the accelerator assembly is truly the "root cause" then there should be a significant difference between the U.S. and Japanese Camrys.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
MARV

One of my colleagues works for a group that has a Toyo store in it's mix.

I'm told they're contracting customers and holding the units until the fix is accomplished. Talk about desperation! Consider the ramifications. In most states lien/title must be perfected within a short window or fines will be imposed not to mention an aged contract may be rejected by the lender. The customer can also develop cold feet and simply destroy the contract and buy elsewhere. There are only a few situations where this practice might be beneficial which would be the customer was subprime and stips haven't been collected, rebate or incentive about to expire, customer doesn't need the vehicle for the next month or so. These are exceptions. I can't imagine someone with great credit shopping cars actually being persuaded to do this. I know I wouldn't. This really accomplishes very little IMO.

Last edited by MARV; 02-01-2010 at 06:12 AM.
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
lsx only

at our small family dealersip we wouldnt sell the car until the recall was fixed,
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Ralph

The risks are too great to retail a vehicle with known flaws and under such a recall in this litigious world we live in. having said that, it's gotta be painful for Toyota dealers now. I don't wish ill on anyone after being in the condition we're in. That'd be like laughing at a guy broken down on the side of the road in the rain...you'd deserve the two flats you should get a mile later in a perfect world. :-)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Default LaHood clarifies statement - OK to drive vehicles

There's no question that if Transportation Secretary LaHood had a dealership he'd ground the vehicles.

In another sign of the growing friction between Toyota and NHTSA, LaHood stated that owners of the recalled vehicles should get them repaired quickly and exercise caution while driving them.

This statement was a clarification to an earlier AP story that suggested that LaHood was recommending that owners not drive the affected vehicles.