Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > East Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
ohiobuckeyes

Default What's up with Gary Barbera's Autoland?

Here's one might of miss this in the forum...What happen to Gary Barbera Chrysler? Was looking on a MABC month end sales report and for two months this dealership reported no sales. And in this weeks auto news small ad looking for vehicle's and paying invoice.

Was this a BK shutdown? I can recall Press and Landry in the webcast's always say thanks to Gary for sell so many cars.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

ohiobuckeyes - I moved your post and created a new thread and placed it in the East Regional Section.

While I've never been to the dealership, I always remember hearing about Gary Barbera's store as being a powerhouse. While I wish the best for the dealership, I always get nervous when I see a store with zero sales on the BC's monthly ranking report.

I'll move this thread to AREA 51 if the discussion about the dealership's circumstances requires more discretion - just let me know.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
dodgequality

Discretion would be a polite word when talking about Gary Barbera.
It is not a Chrysler BK shutdown.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Discretion would be a polite word when talking about Gary Barbera.
It is not a Chrysler BK shutdown.
I think ohiobuckeyes was wondering if the if Barbera's zero sales results were due to a dealer BK, not Chrysler's BK.

Part of me wonders if the dealership got trapped in the CF to GMAC transition? Automotive News ran a story a couple of months ago about four Chrysler dealers in Northern California that are operating without floorlines because GMAC refused to pick them up.

Concerning your comment about Gary Barbera and discretion, I'm not sure I follow? Then again, I've always been a West Coast guy so maybe there's something obvious that escapes me.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
dodgequality

Gary Barbera is Chairman of the Pennsylvania State Board of Vehicle Manufacturers, Dealers and Salespersons.
He has a flooring problem with Chrysler.
About a year ago, the FBI, Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco Agency spent some time removing boxes and boxes of files from his Dealership.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Gary Barbera is Chairman of the Pennsylvania State Board of Vehicle Manufacturers, Dealers and Salespersons.
He has a flooring problem with Chrysler.
About a year ago, the FBI, Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco Agency spent some time removing boxes and boxes of files from his Dealership.
Thanks for the update.

I've got to admit I didn't realize Barbera's store was in Pennsylvania, for some reason when I hear that name I've always thought of Chicago or St. Louis.

Concerning his flooring problem, I wonder if Chrysler has stepped up and helped any of their stores that were dropped by GMAC or if they're just letting them all fend for themselves?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
dodgequality

Barbera took over Tony O'Connell's store in Roxborough, suburb of Philadelphia, recognized as one of PA's rising stars. ( Tony O'Connell was a maverick - "Chrysler has no right to see my books" - kept two sets of books.) One of those favored sons - could do no wrong in spite of the evidence.
No floor plan now because of his obligation to Chrysler Financial which will not release its UCC.
What goes up usually comes down. Especially if the up is not on solid ground.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default Headline: Gary Barbera Facing Jail Time For Tax Fraud

Here's an example of when you don't want to see your name in the news - click here

In fairness, this is America and we're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but statements like this coming from a U.S. Attorney are daunting: "Mr. Barbera's alleged misconduct, hiding income and having his business pay his purely personal expenses, cheated all Americans, since we all have to pay our fair share for the government services and protections that we enjoy."

The charges allege Mr. Barbera under-reported his income and charged his business for personal expenses on his 2003 and 2004 tax return.

Any bets on how the IRS decided to start their investigation? I'm guessing there might have been a disgruntled former employee.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
The StraightShooter

Funny how he retains his Chairmanship of Pennsylvania's Board of Automobile Manufacturers Dealers and Salespersons. Then again knowing Gov. Ed Rendell has its privledges. One of NewCo's best and brightest.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
One of NewCo's best and brightest.
That's classic.

I'm guessing Mr. Barbera won't be calling Jim Press to act as a character witness during his trial with the IRS.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
The StraightShooter

I should clarify that I know that Chairman Barbera is not representative of the vast majority of NewCo guys who fly straight and are out there in the jungle everyday trying to make some dollars out of cents.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
ohiobuckeyes

Now Barbera is being Accused Of Tax Fraud by the IRS. Here is the story:http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...d_Of_Tax_Fraud
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
CL Pgh

Not familiar with this dealer at all… but just now noticed his name in the MABC sales volume chart. As of today he shows 21 nvdr’s for the month… BUT, only 25 YTD. ??? Same line shows total sales last year as well as CMLY so it’s not a new dealer or dealer code. Very strange!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Now Barbera is being Accused Of Tax Fraud by the IRS. Here is the story:http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...d_Of_Tax_Fraud
Great information - it's just about 17 hours too late.

That's what The StraightShooter and I were talking about in the last two posts and why I made the reference to Jim Press. (Who is also on the IRS Radar Screen for unpaid taxes)

No worries, however. I'd rather have too much information on the forum as opposed to too little.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
The StraightShooter

He's been around for a while...was a 1000+unit store in the previous era before bk.
Longtime Gov. Ed Rendell supporter since he was mayor of Philly. Kinda feel bad for him as the only thing worse than dealing with Chrysler could quite possibly be dealing with the IRS.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...spersons/12526