Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
tnpartsguy

Angry DMS companies

How many dealers have contracted with a DMS provider and find that it just doesn't work as advertised? I'm just a parts manager, but I really think that if promises were made about functionality, that if it doesn't do what it they said it would, it's cut and dried that it's breach of contract.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
How many dealers have contracted with a DMS provider and find that it just doesn't work as advertised? I'm just a parts manager, but I really think that if promises were made about functionality, that if it doesn't do what it they said it would, it's cut and dried that it's breach of contract.
I might be laughing about this post for the next few days. In fact, I may come back to it every time I am in a bad mood.
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
jayhawk

autosoft.
all the functionality any normal person could use, with affordable pricing.
been with them since 2000, the price has never changed, the service and support is excellent.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
tnpartsguy

Default Wild & Crazy

It might be funny, but it's not meant to be. I think that's a lot of what is wrong in our business, people tolerate bad service from vendors until it becomes the norm.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
It might be funny, but it's not meant to be. I think that's a lot of what is wrong in our business, people tolerate bad service from vendors until it becomes the norm.
You make a great point.

Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more competition between the DMS providers over the past 10 years or so. For as much as technology has changed it seems like the vast majority of dealers are still using one of the two big DMS providers and the pricing remains high.

I remember when Microsoft was going to get in the game but their presence slowly faded away.

Granted, DealerTrack and some of the smaller DMS providers have made some inroads but I don't get the impression that anyone at Reynolds or ADP are losing any sleep at night.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Would this ever happen - using your OEM for your DMS?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Saturn Dealers had to use a DMS that was developed by General Motors.

I'm betting the OEMs would love to force their dealers to use a factory supplied DMS just like McDonald's does but they probably fear they'd never be able to make it happen because of anti-competitive claims from the current DMS providers.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Saturn Dealers had to use a DMS that was developed by General Motors.

I'm betting the OEMs would love to force their dealers to use a factory supplied DMS just like McDonald's does but they probably fear they'd never be able to make it happen because of anti-competitive claims from the current DMS providers.
Saturn Dealers were on a custom version of EDS, which at the time was partially owned by GM. EDS was a pretty good system, until ADP bought it and pretty much killed it.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
zep33

We just switched from Reynolds to Automate this week

Monday - damn, this sucks
Tuesday - didn't want to come to work but I did
Wednesday - getting used to it - like some of the things it does
Today - This isn't so bad after all
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Saturn Dealers were on a custom version of EDS, which at the time was partially owned by GM. EDS was a pretty good system, until ADP bought it and pretty much killed it.
Thanks for the information - I had forgotten about EDS.

Whenever I think of EDS I think of Ross Perot and then I flashback to the awesome skit Saturday Night Live did where Perot was trying to ditch his running mate after his dismal performance in Vice Presidential debates.

Back to your topic, it's just an impression on my part but I think part of the reason dealers may be complacent as it relates to the performance of their DMS providers is at least one of them has a reputation for playing hardball with lawyers and lawsuits.