Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

View Poll Results: How far will your Dealership go to buy a Used Car?
We'll travel up to 100 miles to purchase a Used Car for inventory 2 16.67%
We'll travel up to 250 miles to purchase a Used Car for inventory 3 25.00%
We'll travel up to 500 miles to purchase a Used Car for inventory 3 25.00%
We'll travel up to 1000 miles to purchase a Used Car for inventory 1 8.33%
No limitations - we buy vehicles from all over the Country 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default How far will your Dealership go to buy a Used Car?

How far will your Dealership go to buy a Used Car?

With Used Car prices at record highs many dealers are scrambling to find new sources for inventory.

Additionally, some dealers elect to purchase vehicles from distant markets in an effort to take advantage of regional pricing differences - e.g. pickup trucks seem to be cheaper in Texas than they are in California.

How far will your Dealership go to buy a Used Car? Please take our poll and share your thoughts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Lakeshow

We typically bought from a five state region, with major auction markets eight hours/500 miles away from us. Now without new inventory we'll easily go 1000 miles adding a lot of major markets. Most of the time it depends on shipping, ie., sometimes it's easier/cheaper to move them North/South than East/West.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Most of the time it depends on shipping, ie., sometimes it's easier/cheaper to move them North/South than East/West.
If I can ask, how do you handle the shipping? Do you use one carrier all the time or do you use a website that allows shippers to bid on your load?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Lakeshow

We use two different regional carriers that have local offices. And by local I mean the offices are 120 miles from our dealership. They both have alliances with other carriers beyond their reach if needed. So it's still one call for us which is nice. We've shopped the loads on the internet a few times, but never saved enough to switch carriers. Plus we know the drivers by name, have their cell numbers, and can track our loads easily if needed. Personal relationships are hard to come by in this business anymore, best hang on to as many as we can!
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Personal relationships are hard to come by in this business anymore, best hang on to as many as we can!
That's a great point - it's nice to know the people who are handling your cars and know they're looking out for your best interest.

Concerning Internet sites that allow shippers to bid on transporting your cars, I've been checking out uShip.com. I've never used them but they're an approved vendor for both Ebay and Copart. As I understand it there's no charge to list the cars you need transported and uShip makes their money by charging a fee if you accept a transporter's bid.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
gingersnap

We go out as 500 miles. I love the picture the Chrysler E class and some Kcars YEAH.
gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap View Post
I love the picture the Chrysler E class and some Kcars YEAH.
I was hoping someone would spot the vintage Chrysler cars on that carrier.

I'm guessing that picture dates back to 1986 and I can spot a Reliant K-car, a Caravelle E-body and a GTS H-body.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Jeff Duvall

We use centraldispatch.com, very easy an efficent website, I would hate to try to operate without it. Works really good for less than truckloads. We even post some of our long distace dealer trades on it. They do charge a monthly fee. I think it's the site that all the truckers use.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
We use centraldispatch.com, very easy an efficent website, I would hate to try to operate without it. Works really good for less than truckloads. We even post some of our long distace dealer trades on it. They do charge a monthly fee. I think it's the site that all the truckers use.
Thanks for the information - I just checked out the CentralDispatch website and it looked pretty interesting.

For those who don't want to type CentralDispatch into their browser, here's a link - click here