Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Introductions

Notices

Introductions Did you just join our community? Post here and introduce yourself where do you work and what do you do?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
LJS

Default Hello!

I sell Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Chevrolet in MO. I have been getting this fax from this forum for a year, finally decided to check it out, looks like some good info here. We made the cut with Chrysler last week but not with GM. Our Chrysler store has been doing good, but there is no love lost between me and GM. I have been thinking a lot about Volkswagen lately but I don't know a lot about them. It appears to me they only set up dealers in metro areas?

Last edited by LJS; 02-24-2010 at 02:59 PM.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Txflyer

Welcome aboard. Sounds like we are paddling the identical boat. We're a small town dual GM/Chrysler dealer as well. We also got cut by GM.

Last edited by Txflyer; 05-21-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
squish

welcome to the forum! you are right, there is a lot of great insight here. hope you jump right in. enjoy!
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Smile LJS - Welcome to the Forum......

LJS - I'm glad you responded to the FAX and checked out the forum.

Anyone who registers and posts on the same day gets a big Thumbs-up. :thumbsup_old: A lot of our new members tend to "lurk" the site before they decide to jump in.

Although the forum is still pretty small, the members here are awesome and the information exchange is great. Things are changing so fast in the car business lately that it helps to have a place to go to ask questions and learn from others.

Thanks for registering with the site and I hope you'll become a regular contributor.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Welcome Lucas. I would have thrown how the fax for a year too.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Welcome Lucas. I would have thrown how the fax for a year too.
Hey, you never even got a FAX.....

As memory serves, you came from the Yahoo Message Boards. That was my primary source for new members when I first started out.

I quickly gave up hope when I realized that almost everyone over there had anger management issues....
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I'm proud to say I've never taken part of that madhouse. I was there for the latest Lithia "rumor". They made good stories to share with the dealership people.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
dafuzz1956

Welcome Lucas, you will find all sorts of good info here, and you may even make some good friends.
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I'm proud to say I've never taken part of that madhouse. I was there for the latest Lithia "rumor". They made good stories to share with the dealership people.
To be clear, I've never associated you as being one of the people with Anger Management issues.

In fairness to Lithia, the Sonic and AutoNation boards seem to be just as bad. For what ever reason, there are not too many happy campers posting on Yahoo.

In fairness to Yahoo, on occasion some real information breaks on their Message Boards - the departure of Don Jones from Lithia is a good example.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuzz1956 View Post
Welcome Lucas, you will find all sorts of good info here, and you may even make some good friends.
Lucas, sorry for taking your Welcome Tread off-track.

It's great to have you on the site. The forum is still pretty new and about 80% of the content is Chrysler related with the rest leaning toward GM. The Volkswagen section is pretty much dormant, but I do like their vehicles and think they've got great advertising.

I don't know how difficult it would be to pick-up their franchises? It might be worth making a phone call or sending an e-mail.

Back to dafuzz1956, he's right - there's all sorts of great information here and some really cool people too.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
jdemonto

Welcome.....

Jason
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
LJS

I actually called the VW America HQ in Georgia to talk to somebody in dealer placement. They lady who answered said they do not put you directly through but they took my info and if they are interested in my area they'll contact me. So who knows? I think my town is too small for them probably, but the town two towns over is about five times as big and it might fly there. I've been thinking about parting ways from my family/partners anyhow. If I could get something like VW I think it might be a good way to do it. My heart is in the Chrylser Dodge and Jeep business though, it'd be hard to leave that.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
If I could get something like VW I think it might be a good way to do it. My heart is in the Chrylser Dodge and Jeep business though, it'd be hard to leave that.
So, how do you like Georgia?

I don't know if it's still available but there was a VW store in Georgia that was listed for sale in Automotive News. The part I thought was cool was the dealership will be the closest VW store to the new plant VW is building in Georgia. It's kind of like being the only AMC dealer in Kenosha, WI - you know you've got a built in customer base.

One of our top members, ssdd, is from that area, You might want to send him a PM if you want some idea of how big the store is and what the sales volume is.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
LJS

I don't think I am up for going to Georgia? I'd really like to stay here in the midwest.

Last edited by LJS; 03-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
My father and I are in total agreement about what to do, and that doesn't happen very often.
I smiled when I read that line - I think there are thousands of father/son partners in the car business who can relate to that statement.

Concerning the future, who knows?

I think there will always be money to be made in the car business but it will continue to be more difficult in the future. The widespread use of the Internet has already compressed new car gross profits and it's beginning to compress used car gross profits. It's only a matter of time before the F&I Department comes under attack too.

While a well run Service and Parts department can provide a stable source of gross profits I think increased vehicle quality may become a limiting factor.

In my opinion, the stores that have the brightest future are those that are just outside of a metro market that have a nice facility with a modest rent factor. I think people will always be willing to drive 50 miles if they think they can save $100.