Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default I saw my first Fiat 500 commercial on TV last night

As I've mentioned in the past I have a Tivo and I rarely watch commercials unless I think something is interesting and then I'll hit the rewind button. Last night I saw a commercial worthy of the rewind button - it was the first Fiat 500 commercial I've ever seen.

Here's a link to the 30 second spot on YouTube - click here

While I didn't hate the commercial, I think it's somewhat comical that Auburn Hills is trying to suggest the Fiat 500 is so revolutionary that it's going to become a "cultural icon" that may "define a generation." Seriously, is Auburn Hills that far out of touch with reality.

Again, I don't hate the commercial and I know it's a challenge to establish a new brand in a crowded marketplace.

That said, I still think if the executives at Auburn Hills had any sense they'd admit the idea for a separate Fiat Dealer Network was moronic and they'd change direction and offer the Fiat 500 to all the CJDR dealers. I won't be holding my breath.....

Last edited by XDCX; 08-15-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Fixed link so it would go the Fiat 500 commercial on YouTube
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
jayhawk

had a conversation with a 40 year old atty. and his wife over the weekend. his wife is a school principal, no children, loads of cash , nothing but bmw and porsche for the last 10-15 years. told me they had SEEN their first 500 sat.. wanted to know how sales were for us. told them that it was not being sold by cjdr dlrs., only 1 store in KCMO, their comments on the intelligence of that decision would not be printable in the mainsteam media. they thought it was "kinda cute , a chick car, why no abarth for the roll out??? tol d him we werent consulted. his final comment regarded never buying a car where there was no local dealer. cant help but think some mfgr. will eventually figure this out.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
wanted to know how sales were for us. told them that it was not being sold by cjdr dlrs., only 1 store in KCMO, their comments on the intelligence of that decision would not be printable in the mainsteam media.
I read an article yesterday where Auburn Hills acknowledged the dealer launch has been slow and it has been impacting their sales. Like your customers commented, I have to think a lot of people would be leery about buying a Fiat if they knew there were only about 100 dealers available across the country. (Hard to get servicing if you're on a vacation or road-trip.)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
jayhawk

their ad must be working. had another unsolicited comment from a local professional. thought it might be a step up from a smart. some "suicide machine" comments, etc.. conversation ended when told we werent going to be a dealer.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
their ad must be working. had another unsolicited comment from a local professional. thought it might be a step up from a smart. some "suicide machine" comments, etc.. conversation ended when told we werent going to be a dealer.
Yep, it's too bad Marchionne demanded a separate dealer network. The Fiat 500's a cute car that has some appeal but I think a lot of people will reject it once they learn about Fiat's spotty dealer network.

It's unfortunate no one in Auburn Hills had the courage to tell Marchionne he was wrong. In my opinion that's one of Chrysler's greatest weaknesses because Marchionne's already demonstrated he doesn't have a firm grasp on automotive retail in the U.S.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Commercial on Monday Night Football

I wasn't watching the game but I read about Fiat's new commercial with Jennifer Lopez which was supposed to air on Monday Night Football.

Here's a link to YouTube with the commercial - click here

Frankly, I don't know what to think. Jennifer Lopez is an attractive woman who has a huge fan following - that should help build some brand awareness for the Fiat 500.

On the flip-side, it reminds me of Tiger Woods doing commercials for Buick - no one really thought Woods would ever drive a Buick. I'm thinking most people will think the same thing with Jennifer Lopez and the Fiat 500.

It also reminds me of Celine Dion and the Chrysler Pacifica - there's a fine line between an ad campaign that promotes a vehicle versus one the ends up promoting the spokesperson.

If you saw the commercial, do you like it or hate it?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
ssdd

I'm on the fence on that one. I saw another ad for the fiat and it was at a drive in movie, anybody else?
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
possum

Good grief! I don't think it does a thing, except show the tiny car can drive on a sidewalk.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
chryslersrt8

Jennifer Lopez ad-I would be willing to bet 90% or more of the people who see the ad can't remember anything about the ad except J-Lo. What is the point of the ad? And anyone want to guess how much they paid her to do the ad?

Drive In ad-shows the car but what is the point? How many people in the target market know what a drive in is?

Is a bad ad better than no ad?
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
I'm on the fence on that one. I saw another ad for the fiat and it was at a drive in movie, anybody else?
I had the same reaction - I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. That said, I don't think it's the type of commercial that actually sells any cars.

Concerning the Drive-in commercial, that's the one I described in the first post of this thread. I thought that commercial was poor and I think Marchionne is delusional if he thinks American's are going to see his Fiat 500 as the car that "defines a generation."
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Good grief! I don't think it does a thing, except show the tiny car can drive on a sidewalk.
I thought the same thing when I saw the Fiat 500 driving on the sidewalk.

For most Americans I think one of the biggest concerns about owning a Fiat 500 is the car might be too small to be practical. Ironically the commercial seems to highlight this fact.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
Is a bad ad better than no ad?
Good question. I'd guess for the most part that even a bad ad is better than nothing as long as it doesn't alienate the potential buyers.

On the flip-side, I think the value of a good ad is higher in today's environment than it's ever been in the past. I read that the Volkswagen ad they aired during the Super Bowl featuring the little kid dressed as Darth Vader gets tons of hits on YouTube - it's one of the most popular commercials ever.

I thought the VW commercial was great the first time I saw it and I still enjoying watching it when it re-airs. (The kid's reaction when the car starts is priceless. )
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
79LilRedExpress

Default Who is paying for the ads?

Hummm... there hasn't been enough cars sold yet to pay for lunch...

Guess I know where my denied PAP monies are going....
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
Hummm... there hasn't been enough cars sold yet to pay for lunch...

Guess I know where my denied PAP monies are going....
Just think of it as a "shared sacrifice." Chrysler learned about the concept from their friends in Washington D.C.