Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
birch3x

Default Used Car Preps

I'm wondering what the average amount other dealers spend on used car preps. I've found that new tires and a solid check-over to bring higher grosses and happier customers. Repeat and Referrals are the name of the game now, and this works for us. Obviously, older and higher mileage cost more in the shop, but I'd like some opinions on thi$.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
CarguyCO

Too much....

and our service department loves to put $90 wipers on the car...plus every car gets "certified".....

Sorry that isn't constructive....please disregard
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
CJDman

I probably average $700/car. We fix everything and perform most services for mileage. Always put on tires if questionable. Fix dents, scratches, completly detail. The sale is easier if you don't have to give excuses. As a dealer, you make money in the shop and get your techs used to looking for everything. It also gives your shop motivation to give your used cars priority when needed.
CJDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Lithia had a substantial checklist for used car preps that weren't going to be manufacturer certified. If it didn't meet minimum criteria, it was replaced. I'd say the average used prep included tires, oil change, wipers, buff, etc and totaled about $500. Typically, nothing over $1,500 was spent and that car was sent directly to the auction.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
CarguyCO

edited>>>>>>
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
CarguyCO

This isn't in AREA 51 is it?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
ssdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDman View Post
I probably average $700/car. We fix everything and perform most services for mileage. Always put on tires if questionable. Fix dents, scratches, completly detail. The sale is easier if you don't have to give excuses. As a dealer, you make money in the shop and get your techs used to looking for everything. It also gives your shop motivation to give your used cars priority when needed.
This is what we do, the cars are easier to sell and the customers don't come back and whine...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
This isn't in AREA 51 is it?
Now I'm intrigued, what part of your dealership's recon process needs to be hidden in AREA 51?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Ralph

We did the same check on any vehicle we were going to retail. In the NEBC, here in NH we paid about an hour average for check-up...which is way more time than needed, but we held the responsibility on svc and parts if they missed something. I always added svc and parts net and paid the same commission schedule on the pool not the dept themselves...stopped the infighting.

Same kinda chargeback with sales, if the manager decided not to do recommended work from the prep in svc. I always kept on them as one of my biggies...no inter dept haggling. I remember sales and svc and parts director I called into a room. I told them if this wasn't understood one or both of them were going home. They figured it out. Kinda off topic, sorry...but kinda on topic???
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Needhelp

I have an agreement between the sales manager and serv/parts manager that if a car is reconditioned and then ends up not being retailed all gross profit from service and parts are charged back to serv/parts.

It encourages my sales manager to authorize repairs. Serv/parts know they will get paid at least cost. Rarely has this been an issue with a chargeback due to not having a retail sale.
Needhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhelp View Post
I have an agreement between the sales manager and serv/parts manager that if a car is reconditioned and then ends up not being retailed all gross profit from service and parts are charged back to serv/parts.
Wow, that's an interesting solution - I've never heard of that idea before.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
lsx only

thats a option i never thought about i love this forum where everyone can exchange ideas.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
birch3x

Interesting ideas, thanks for the opinions. I feel that spending a few extra bucks to make them right is worth it
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
lsx only

we do ours on a case by case we are small so we can control everything ourselves,lots of times our customers are on a tight budget and we just do the important stuff,it really depends on the car
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote