Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default How is the allocation for the Dodge Dart going to be determined?

Based on what I've seen of the new Dodge Dart I think Chrysler may have a vehicle which can sell in high volumes.

Has Chrysler announced how allocations for the Dart are going to be calculated?

With some models, the old SRT-4 as an example, Chrysler flooded California and Florida dealers with inventory while the inventories of the rest of the dealers were very light. The rationale provided by Chrysler was they allocated the SRT-4 based on the market demand for competitive vehicles, not historic dealer sales volume.

Any idea how the Dart's going to be allocated and when the first ones will arrive?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
birch3x

No clue. We thought it might run off Avenger allocation, but that won't work. Hopefully they'll just open it for orders and see what happens. We'd probably want 10 ASAP then see how they sell. I just want something in that price range and fuel economy to sell. Toyota Corollas are nice but I'd rather see our customers driving something we sell.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Does everyone remember the old days when hot product was often used to help move some of the "sales bank" units?

I can hear it now: "I've got a couple of Darts I can send you but I really need to find a home for this fully loaded 200C...."

To Chrysler's credit, I haven't heard any complaints about "inventory pressure" for a long time. Either I'm too far out of the loop or things have changed for the better.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Does everyone remember the old days when hot product was often used to help move some of the "sales bank" units?

I can hear it now: "I've got a couple of Darts I can send you but I really need to find a home for this fully loaded 200C...."

To Chrysler's credit, I haven't heard any complaints about "inventory pressure" for a long time. Either I'm too far out of the loop or things have changed for the better.
Haven't seen it in a long time. 09 or 08 I think. I remember waaayyy back when we'd buy inventory off lists the rep would bring around. When the car carriers showed up they looked like used cars..
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
crowe

Our DM told me that Dart allocation would be based off Caliber sales.
However as the norm in the past, I would assume allocation of the Dart will favor major market & volume stores 1st. Smaller stores will get a dribble to start & if inventory starts to back up they’ll get more than they want.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
mr4t60e

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
So if you want a Dart, you'll have to buy it from Enterprise Rent-a-Car?
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
So if you want a Dart, you'll have to buy it from Enterprise Rent-a-Car?
Well, that is where a lot of the Fiat 500s ended up.

That said I think the main problem with the Fiat 500 was Marchionne's dedicated Fiat Dealer Network. I'm convinced the CJDR dealers will do a great job with the Dart and it won't be necessary for Auburn Hills to dump the car to the rental fleets.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
John Schutz

Better sell as many Calibers as you can get your hands on because if history repeats itself Dart allocation will depend onCaliber sales. We have a big push on now for Caaliber sales. Good selling. Good luck and Dance like you are the only oone in the room!
John Schutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
However as the norm in the past, I would assume allocation of the Dart will favor major market & volume stores 1st. Smaller stores will get a dribble to start & if inventory starts to back up they’ll get more than they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schutz View Post
Better sell as many Calibers as you can get your hands on because if history repeats itself Dart allocation will depend onCaliber sales. We have a big push on now for Caaliber sales. Good selling. Good luck and Dance like you are the only oone in the room!
I'm surprised Auburn Hills didn't specify that the allocation for the Dart would be based on Caliber sales in an effort to get dealers to order more Calibers before they went out of production.

In the past this turned out to be a great way of rewarding the dealers who stepped up and took extra inventory of the model that was going out of production.

While it's entirely possible that the Dart allocation will be based off of Caliber sales it seems strange that Chrysler didn't use that as a selling point for ordering more Calibers. As before, maybe Auburn Hills has some other plan for allocating the Dart - similar to what they did with the original SRT-4.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default District Manager tells Dealership that Dart's Allocated off of Total Dodge Sales

I received a PM from a member who was advised by their District Manager that the Dart would be allocated off of total Dodge sales - not just the sales of the Caliber or Avenger.

It sounds reasonable to me. I'm guessing the Dart will revert to a "days supply" allocation once the vehicle's been established in the market and all of the dealers have their initial inventory.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I received a PM from a member who was advised by their District Manager that the Dart would be allocated off of total Dodge sales - not just the sales of the Caliber or Avenger.

It sounds reasonable to me. I'm guessing the Dart will revert to a "days supply" allocation once the vehicle's been established in the market and all of the dealers have their initial inventory.
Got the same info from a very positive Go To Meeting today. The question I forgot to ask is this- will allocation be based on Dodge sales including Ram or not? There appears to be some consumer confusion about the brand names. 2012 trucks say Dodge and Ram on dash trim. If it's not, well, we haven't had much demand for Caliber, Avenger, and Journey. But we sell trucks. Oh, yessssssssss we sell trucks. Dart orders will start 4/30, and hit the shelves late June / early July. Belvedere plant, so then the Compass and Patriot allocation looks high next round it's because the plant can't make them all at the same time. We'll take the allocation because the Jeeps have been selling.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
Got the same info from a very positive Go To Meeting today. The question I forgot to ask is this- will allocation be based on Dodge sales including Ram or not? There appears to be some consumer confusion about the brand names. 2012 trucks say Dodge and Ram on dash trim. If it's not, well, we haven't had much demand for Caliber, Avenger, and Journey. But we sell trucks. Oh, yessssssssss we sell trucks. Dart orders will start 4/30, and hit the shelves late June / early July. Belvedere plant, so then the Compass and Patriot allocation looks high next round it's because the plant can't make them all at the same time. We'll take the allocation because the Jeeps have been selling.
Thanks for the information. Good to hear that the Go to Market meeting was very positive.

Did the Chrysler execs make any comments about pricing for the Dart? I received a PM from another member who heard that the Dart was going to start at $15K but that seems pretty cheap by today's standards. Not that I'm complaining, $15K would be great but I just don't want to create any false expectations.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
birch3x

Right now all we hear is that it's starting at $15,995. and is in 4 models offering 3 engine choices, and has been EPA certified at 40 mpg.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
Right now all we hear is that it's starting at $15,995. and is in 4 models offering 3 engine choices, and has been EPA certified at 40 mpg.
Thanks for the information - that's good news on all fronts.