Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
CL Pgh

Default Kudos DealershipForum / X-Man

I've been seeing a lot of new names last couple days and just noticed this:

Most users ever online was 39, Today at 12:54 PM.

Continued steps in the right direction!!!

CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Txflyer

Yep, this forum is a really great asset to the dealer body. Especially in times like these.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Most users ever online was 39, Today at 12:54 PM.
Thanks for noticing. I like it when this place is busy and there's lots of thoughts and ideas being exchanged.

Concerning the old record, it happened about a year ago when the site was getting spammed. Of the 35 people who were on-line, 30 of them had IP Addresses that originated in Russia. I never would have thought it would take a bankruptcy filing by Chrysler to break the record.

That said, I need to figure out a way to keep this place growing. While I love the new "hidden" sections it's going to kill the traffic we get from Google. Also, if you ever log-off and look at the site as a non-member it looks really boring. All of the good information is in the "hidden" section now.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
jules4jeeps

Man, this hidden section is where it's at! I had been foruming without logging in, and after logging in todat I finally found all you guys...yippie, you're all still here and as fit to be tied as I am!
jules4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I think the Russians are after me.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
CL Pgh

Ouch... just logged of and got a look at what Jules mentioned. Now what????

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That said, I need to figure out a way to keep this place growing. While I love the new "hidden" sections it's going to kill the traffic we get from Google. Also, if you ever log-off and look at the site as a non-member it looks really boring. All of the good information is in the "hidden" section now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4jeeps View Post
Man, this hidden section is where it's at! I had been foruming without logging in, and after logging in todat I finally found all you guys...yippie, you're all still here and as fit to be tied as I am!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
jules4jeeps

Speaking of russians being after people, Facebook has had some evil hacking happening this week. Be careful opening "sent" messages in FB, bad virus attachments come with them!
jules4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I think the Russians are after me.
I'm just glad we've established that you were the one who BANNED the Russian member, while I, by contrast, have been quite friendly.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Ouch... just logged of and got a look at what Jules mentioned. Now what????
The problem is that's exactly what Google sees when they scan the site. The place looks dead even though we've had record levels of activity.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I appreciate that.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Oh, thanks for reminding me. I appreciate that.
Hey, I wouldn't worry about it, I think all those stories about the Russian Mafia are just Urban Legends.

Товарищи, SHACOS запретил вам, а не мне (Google Translate FTW )
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Smile 100 Members visited DealershipForum.com today

I just ran the report and determined that 100 Members visited the forum today - that's awesome. Additionally, over 40 new Members have registered with the site in just the past two days.

I know this is a stressful time to be in the car business, hopefully the information that's shared here will help us all work through this storm.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I just ran the report and determined that 100 Members visited the forum today - that's awesome. Additionally, over 40 new Members have registered with the site in just the past two days.
And I'll bet you a Starbucks Gift Card that one of them was Mr. Press. If you noticed during the press conference he never mentioned GM or Toyota, never said "and I thank you for that" and made reference to "not being a Pollyanna". Coincidence? I think not.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
And I'll bet you a Starbucks Gift Card that one of them was Mr. Press. If you noticed during the press conference he never mentioned GM or Toyota, never said "and I thank you for that" and made reference to "not being a Pollyanna". Coincidence? I think not.
I don't know, I'd probably take the other side of that bet.

As the site Administrator I can see the incoming IP Addresses. Some IP Addresses are totally transparent - you just click on the address and it tells you the name of the server/ISP. As an example, BMW visited the site the other night and a Hyundai computer based in Korea visited the site about a month ago.

Chrysler, by contrast, hides their IP information.

In January we had a Chrysler employee falsify his identity and create an account. Amazingly, he used his Chrysler E-mail address for the registration process and account activation. Because he used his Chrysler E-mail to activate the account I was able to determine Chrysler's IP Address.

I banned his account and did and IP search and found two other accounts had been created from a Chrysler IP Address.

Now that I know Chrysler's IP Address, I routinely watch to see if they're reading the site and it rarely happens. And when it does, I'm guessing it's just a low-level employee with nothing better to do than surf the Internet.

That said, who knows? I'll admit that the hair on the back of my neck stood-up for a second when I heard Press make the Pollyanna comment. But then I figured I was just being paranoid.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
crowe

Great Job! I have not been a member long but have really enjoyed this forum. Picked up info I couldn’t get elsewhere & vented a little anger as well. Too much time on my hands lately, I guess.
Just had a repeat customer buy a new Wrangler, he said he didn’t really need one but he want to do his part to help out. Another slow Saturday though, it wasn’t that long back when we’d have 2 in the box, a couple waiting to get in & everybody else with a customer. WTF happened!
Hope Chrysler remembers the world is round.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote