Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
mryan55

Ah -- a topic right up my alley.

There are still myriad workarounds to add nav to the Uconnect 8.4 in the 2011-2014 LX body, but there is no dealer activated option on the Uconnect 8.4 in the 2011-2014 LX -- you either have 8.4 or 8.4N, the former without nav, the latter with nav.

The new "VP3" radios have the ability to add nav. The most common variants are the RA3 (8.4 no nav) and RA4 (8.4 with nav). Other than the nav component, other things standard on radio RA4 that aren't available on RA3 include HD radio, 3D maps, and Sirius TravelLink.

The VP3 radios are available 2013+ Ram, 2014+ Grand Cherokee, 2014+ Durango, 2014+ KL Cherokee, 2015+ 200, 2015+ Challenger, 2015+ Charger, 2015+ 300.

A 6.5" version (also with or without nav depending on model and trim) is used in the 2014+ Fiat 500L, 2016+ Renegade and 2016+ Fiat 500X. The models function similarly, but the 6.5" version has Microsoft underpinnings and the 8.4" version QNX/BlackBerry underpinnings.

To complicate things even more, there a new style VP3 radio with a 5" display and nav... this is exclusive to the just-launching ProMaster City. It looks the base 5" radio in most of the FCA lineup, but has nav.

Dart should get it at next refresh, along with Journey. It will take some more tinkering to work it into van and Wrangler.

From a user standpoint, the older 8.4" displays in the 2011-14 LX, Journey, Dart, etc. have much better touch response than the new ones. They are much more responsive, maybe so much so that they are better than the new versions for most users who don't desire some of the new premium navigation and audio options afforded by the newer RA3 and RA4 systems.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Ah -- a topic right up my alley.

There are still myriad workarounds to add nav to the Uconnect 8.4 in the 2011-2014 LX body, but there is no dealer activated option on the Uconnect 8.4 in the 2011-2014 LX -- you either have 8.4 or 8.4N, the former without nav, the latter with nav.

The new "VP3" radios have the ability to add nav. The most common variants are the RA3 (8.4 no nav) and RA4 (8.4 with nav). Other than the nav component, other things standard on radio RA4 that aren't available on RA3 include HD radio, 3D maps, and Sirius TravelLink.

The VP3 radios are available 2013+ Ram, 2014+ Grand Cherokee, 2014+ Durango, 2014+ KL Cherokee, 2015+ 200, 2015+ Challenger, 2015+ Charger, 2015+ 300.

A 6.5" version (also with or without nav depending on model and trim) is used in the 2014+ Fiat 500L, 2016+ Renegade and 2016+ Fiat 500X. The models function similarly, but the 6.5" version has Microsoft underpinnings and the 8.4" version QNX/BlackBerry underpinnings.

To complicate things even more, there a new style VP3 radio with a 5" display and nav... this is exclusive to the just-launching ProMaster City. It looks the base 5" radio in most of the FCA lineup, but has nav.

Dart should get it at next refresh, along with Journey. It will take some more tinkering to work it into van and Wrangler.

From a user standpoint, the older 8.4" displays in the 2011-14 LX, Journey, Dart, etc. have much better touch response than the new ones. They are much more responsive, maybe so much so that they are better than the new versions for most users who don't desire some of the new premium navigation and audio options afforded by the newer RA3 and RA4 systems.
Wow, thanks for an absolutely outstanding post.

This thread has had over 10,000 page views so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was frustrated with the large number of used 2011-14 LX cars that had the 8.4 radio but didn't have navigation.

Concerning the workarounds you mentioned in your second sentence, are there any that you would recommend or are they mostly hack jobs that will end up costing the end user too much money?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
mryan55

There is a product from Advent -- part number 'CHRYNAV1" that works with the 8.4" touch screen (as well as the 4.3" screen that was in base 2011 300s, and base 2011-2014 Chargers, and 2011+ Journeys).

The hardware mounts behind the existing screen, you access the nav by pressing the "VR" button on the steering wheel for a few seconds. It includes a cable to connect the nav audio to the audio system if you don't want to use external speaker.

Here's the kit: http://www.adventproducts.com/next-gen/?sku=CHRYNAV1
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
There is a product from Advent -- part number 'CHRYNAV1" that works with the 8.4" touch screen (as well as the 4.3" screen that was in base 2011 300s, and base 2011-2014 Chargers, and 2011+ Journeys).

The hardware mounts behind the existing screen, you access the nav by pressing the "VR" button on the steering wheel for a few seconds. It includes a cable to connect the nav audio to the audio system if you don't want to use external speaker.

Here's the kit: http://www.adventproducts.com/next-gen/?sku=CHRYNAV1
Thanks for the info - that was interesting.

I'm still somewhat amazed that Mopar doesn't offer some type of navigation upgrade for the Uconnect 8.4 radios. If the competition is able to do it Chrysler should be able to develop a dealer-installed navigation upgrade.

While the product offering you linked above is interesting, for a customer like my Dad I think the fact that it didn't provide the Garmin Navigation interface would be a deal-breaker.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the info - that was interesting.

I'm still somewhat amazed that Mopar doesn't offer some type of navigation upgrade for the Uconnect 8.4 radios. If the competition is able to do it Chrysler should be able to develop a dealer-installed navigation upgrade.

While the product offering you linked above is interesting, for a customer like my Dad I think the fact that it didn't provide the Garmin Navigation interface would be a deal-breaker.
Yes -- the Garmin nav is a awesome selling point that no other OEM (to my knowledge) has...

I suppose we would install it at the dealership... we would probably have to do a new touch screen, GPS antenna, and who knows what else. Easily getting the pricing to a head scratching amount.

When it comes to adding navigation, backup cameras, etc. after the purchase on a vehicle without one of the new radios, we almost always go aftermarket for the part, install it in our shop, and self warranty it if problems come up and the manufacturer won't hold up their end of the bargain.

Some of these aftermarket kits are pretty darn easy to install and the support on the other end of the phone generally knows what they are talking about.

Some of the backup camera and nav options offered in the aftermarket look and work better than what MOPAR offers as accessories.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Yes -- the Garmin nav is a awesome selling point that no other OEM (to my knowledge) has...

I suppose we would install it at the dealership... we would probably have to do a new touch screen, GPS antenna, and who knows what else. Easily getting the pricing to a head scratching amount.

When it comes to adding navigation, backup cameras, etc. after the purchase on a vehicle without one of the new radios, we almost always go aftermarket for the part, install it in our shop, and self warranty it if problems come up and the manufacturer won't hold up their end of the bargain.

Some of these aftermarket kits are pretty darn easy to install and the support on the other end of the phone generally knows what they are talking about.

Some of the backup camera and nav options offered in the aftermarket look and work better than what MOPAR offers as accessories.
Thanks for the update.

I always liked to try to stay with OEM accessories but there's no question that in many instances by the time you add up all of the parts and labor that the expense becomes uncompetitive.

I'm still somewhat puzzled why Auburn Hills would continue to install non-upgradeable 8.4 radios in their LX cars when they had an upgradeable solution that worked well for their other cars. Maybe it was two different vendors or maybe there were production constraints but to me I'd think building vehicles that have an option for upgradeable navigation is a "win win win" for the customer, the dealer and the factory.