Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
AR2

Exclamation 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Revealed!

Here is a link to the 2014 Corvette Stingray revealed more than an hour ago.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/13/2...re-is-to-know/

I have my opinions, but I'll hold them back for now. I'll let others be the judge whether they like this or not, but I think Chevy dealers will have no trouble selling these cars. The performance alone will do that! Are Chevy dealers ready for the C7 Corvette?
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I'm tight on time at the moment but I had a chance to read the webpage you linked and I really like the looks of the new Corvette.

I'll add more later this afternoon/evening when I get a chance to get caught up.

Bottom line: I think GM missed the mark on their new trucks but they did a great job with the new Corvette.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
possum

From the side view it resembles a Viper, in my opinion. Also as an aging old car guy, it almost looks "cartoonish" in a way. I can't explain it, but it doesn't look real. (in pics)

But, I'd still like one!
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Lakeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Bottom line: I think GM missed the mark on their new trucks but they did a great job with the new Corvette.
I agree with that statement, totally disappointed in the truck launch but think they got it right with the Corvette.

Styling- love it, but I grew up riding in the back of a '63.
Interior- finally what it should be for this car, hopefully even better in real life.
Drivetrain- remains to be seen, but even the current Vette doesn't lack there. Hopefully they've put a trans in them that can actually compete globally though.

Overall I think they've advanced the brand image with this one. I was saying last night I may actually break my promise to never buy another new GM vehicle again. Then I read this...http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-chevy-dealers, and was reminded why I never will. Oh well, when the Z06 comes out in '15 there will be plenty of low mile '14's readily available!
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Overall I think they've advanced the brand image with this one. I was saying last night I may actually break my promise to never buy another new GM vehicle again. Then I read this...http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-chevy-dealers, and was reminded why I never will. Oh well, when the Z06 comes out in '15 there will be plenty of low mile '14's readily available!
it just never ends....One more nail in the coffin for the small town stores that used to be the backbone of the auto industry. They were never the superstars, but they could be counted on to deliver consistent sales volumes with above average market share year after year...in good times and bad.

Last edited by DealerEx; 01-15-2013 at 07:49 AM.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
From the side view it resembles a Viper, in my opinion. Also as an aging old car guy, it almost looks "cartoonish" in a way. I can't explain it, but it doesn't look real. (in pics)

But, I'd still like one!
Agreed...it has a little bit of the "Transformers" movie look to it...maybe due to the Camaro style rear treatment. But overall a nice package.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Then I read this...http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-chevy-dealers, and was reminded why I never will. Oh well, when the Z06 comes out in '15 there will be plenty of low mile '14's readily available!
Thanks for the link - that was interesting.

I have mixed feelings on GM's policy of only allocating Corvettes to dealers who sold at least four Corvettes in 2012.

Part of me agrees with the sentiments expressed by DealerEx that this is another example of an OEM's actions that are making it harder for smaller sized dealers to compete. But then I also think there's something to be said for an OEM that rewards dealers who stepped up and sold product that was at the end of its life-cycle.

As an example, should a metro Chevrolet Dealer who passed on his 2013 Corvette allocations because the vehicle was "cold" be able to fill his lot with 2014 Corvettes because the new vehicle is "hot"?

Is GM's allocation of the Corvette better (or worse) then Chrysler's solution of creating a separate franchise for the SRT Viper and requiring a $25K investment?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
DealerEx

Quote:
Thanks for the link - that was interesting.

I have mixed feelings on GM's policy of only allocating Corvettes to dealers who sold at least four Corvettes in 2012.

Part of me agrees with the sentiments expressed by DealerEx that this is another example of an OEM's actions that are making it harder for smaller sized dealers to compete. But then I also think there's something to be said for an OEM that rewards dealers who stepped up and sold product that was at the end of its life-cycle.

As an example, should a metro Chevrolet Dealer who passed on his 2013 Corvette allocations because the vehicle was "cold" be able to fill his lot with 2014 Corvettes because the new vehicle is "hot"?

Is GM's allocation of the Corvette better (or worse) then Chrysler's solution of creating a separate franchise for the SRT Viper and requiring a $25K investment?
Just my opinions:
The smaller dealers are never going to be volume leaders in ANY model category...that doesn't mean they shouldn't have availability on the "regular" models either. I'm not suggesting that they should be able to order Vettes for stock. The little guys have never been able to do that as long as it's in short supply...but they SHOULD be able to place a legitimate sold order for ANY vehicle the brand sells. It is a slap in the face for a Chevy dealer that has jumped through all GM's hoops on all the other crap, to then be told they're not worthy to sell the flagship model. It's not just about the profit on the sale. It also makes the dealer look bad in HIS community, where for many years, he has been the "face of Chevrolet", to have to tell a local customer that GM doesn't think enough of him to even let him order one. I can guarantee you that news will get around his market in a hurry. That can only hurt him AND Chevrolet in that market.

As for a metro dealer who passed on allocation in previous years, of course he shouldn't be able to fill his lot with hot inventory. He should be given a minimum basic allocation and have to work his way back up the ladder by turning his stock quickly and earning more.

I think it's just as bad, if not worse than the Viper, because the Vette sells in much greater volume than the Viper ever thought of. Buyer's for the Viper knew it was such a limited production vehicle they didn't expect to see one in stock, realizing that most would be sold before they hit the ground. Once word got out that it was a seperate franchise that at least gave the dealer a reasonable explanation...that it didn't make economic sense because he couldn't hope to recoup his investment. With the Vette, it's still a CHEVROLET, and the dealer is still a CHEVROLET dealer. People have been buying them at there local dealer, large and small, for over 50 years...and now they can't...and there's no way for the dealer to explain why, that isn't going to hurt his business.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
steve_biegler

Dealer Ex, unless you have been in a small market dealers shoes the ins and outs of allocation, upgrades, stocking levels, and on and on are hard to fathom. There is no way to come up with any kind of rules that will make sense to all sized dealers, a little common sense is what is needed. I recall when the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon was almost impossible to get, I deliberately passed on Wrangler allocation so I could get a SOLD Rubicon built. My rep finally told me to go ahead and order a regular one for stock...so I did....guess what happend.....YEP 1 week later Rubicon came off restriction and they would not build one because I had the stock one in build status! I was told by the SAME REP that they would not build my Rubicon as long as I had the other one. So I did what any self respecting small dealer would do. I got on a plane flew to St. Louis and paid 200.00 below STICKER for one that was in another dealers stock...he was a real nice guy giving me a 200.00 break and wouldn't even pick me up from the airport 11 miles away. All this for a customer that had bought 34 yep 34 jeeps from us over the years, and I didn't charge him any more than I was going to charge him for the ordered one. Turns out it was the last Jeep I sold him, he didn't die we had the franchise stolen. These are the things that the factory doesn't see or chooses to look the other way. Big is good and small is bad and thats just WRONG!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
Just my opinions:
The smaller dealers are never going to be volume leaders in ANY model category...that doesn't mean they shouldn't have availability on the "regular" models either. I'm not suggesting that they should be able to order Vettes for stock. The little guys have never been able to do that as long as it's in short supply...but they SHOULD be able to place a legitimate sold order for ANY vehicle the brand sells. It is a slap in the face for a Chevy dealer that has jumped through all GM's hoops on all the other crap, to then be told they're not worthy to sell the flagship model. It's not just about the profit on the sale. It also makes the dealer look bad in HIS community, where for many years, he has been the "face of Chevrolet", to have to tell a local customer that GM doesn't think enough of him to even let him order one. I can guarantee you that news will get around his market in a hurry. That can only hurt him AND Chevrolet in that market.

As for a metro dealer who passed on allocation in previous years, of course he shouldn't be able to fill his lot with hot inventory. He should be given a minimum basic allocation and have to work his way back up the ladder by turning his stock quickly and earning more.

I think it's just as bad, if not worse than the Viper, because the Vette sells in much greater volume than the Viper ever thought of. Buyer's for the Viper knew it was such a limited production vehicle they didn't expect to see one in stock, realizing that most would be sold before they hit the ground. Once word got out that it was a seperate franchise that at least gave the dealer a reasonable explanation...that it didn't make economic sense because he couldn't hope to recoup his investment. With the Vette, it's still a CHEVROLET, and the dealer is still a CHEVROLET dealer. People have been buying them at there local dealer, large and small, for over 50 years...and now they can't...and there's no way for the dealer to explain why, that isn't going to hurt his business.
Another great post by DealerEx.

I like your logic and I follow your points. In fact, I'm in 100% agreement and I like your solution that ALL Chevrolet dealers should be able to process a sold order for a customer.

I also like your comparison between the Viper and the Corvette and why it's more important for the small Chevrolet dealer to have access to the Corvette since his/her customers will expect it. With the SRT Viper a smaller CJDR dealer has a reason why the Viper's not available.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
AR2

I wasn't a fan of the new C7 Corvette when I first saw it. I didn't care for the rear end and all of the air intakes/vents. I thought the GM stylists went too far and didn't really know when to quit. However, after looking at more and more pictures, I am beginning to really like it. I still don't like the rear and some of the vents, but I think the overall car is very sharp.

The interior is better than the old one, although, I was expecting something a bit better still. In other colors besides red, the interior looks to be nicely done. I could see myself sitting in those seats (not the competition seats), staring at the nice dashboard and leather and just cruising on the road.

The biggest impact, though, will be the performance and engineering. This car will be the performance bargain of the sports car world if it performs according to the press releases. I can't imagine anything performing like this car for the price.

Overall assessment? I can see myself going to the Chevy dealer, taking a test drive, and placing an order. I think this car will have immediate street presence.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post

But, I'd still like one!
When the Corvette was first unveiled, I also thought it had a "cartoonish" look to it. Something about the design made it look like a toy model in the pictures. When I saw pictures of the car in the outdoors, it changed my impression. I began to like the car a lot more. It looks more mature (less cartoonish) in Cyber Gray than the Victory Red of the show car.

Regarding the Viper, I think this C7 Corvette makes it look like last century's sports car. This new C7, to me, has far more presence and impact than the new Viper.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
AR2

Quote:
Another great post by DealerEx.

I like your logic and I follow your points. In fact, I'm in 100% agreement and I like your solution that ALL Chevrolet dealers should be able to process a sold order for a customer.

I also like your comparison between the Viper and the Corvette and why it's more important for the small Chevrolet dealer to have access to the Corvette since his/her customers will expect it. With the SRT Viper a smaller CJDR dealer has a reason why the Viper's not available.
I would expect smaller Chevy dealers to eventually get the Corvette. I think it is going to be such a hot item that it will be hard to get at first. However, I would not be surprised to see the Chevy dealer in the next town get 1 or 2. The dealership is located in a town of 3,500 people, but they seem to have 2-3 Corvettes at a time. They also seem to be connected to the local Corvette club, so I'm sure they'll be getting orders.

As an interesting note regarding small town dealers, the Ford dealership that sold me my 2003 Mach 1 had 2 Shelby GT500s in inventory back in 2007. One was a charcoal convertible that was in the showroom and the other was a red (with white stripes) coupe. They let me test drive the coupe! The big kicker, this Ford dealer only had 10 new cars and trucks in inventory at the time and was located in a small town of about 3,000 people. I don't know how they did it, but they seemed to be able to order pretty much anything their customers wanted!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I would expect smaller Chevy dealers to eventually get the Corvette. I think it is going to be such a hot item that it will be hard to get at first. However, I would not be surprised to see the Chevy dealer in the next town get 1 or 2. The dealership is located in a town of 3,500 people, but they seem to have 2-3 Corvettes at a time. They also seem to be connected to the local Corvette club, so I'm sure they'll be getting orders.
You must not have read the second link to AN story where GM said that, for the first time, they were limiting sales of the 2014 Vette to ONLY those dealers who sold at least 4 Vettes the previous year. In the past, the small dealers would not get ANY stock units unless there was extra production available, but they COULD get a sold order produced. Once this policy takes effect, the end result is that any dealer that didn't sell 4 Vettes last year won't be able to sell one from now on since they won't even be allowed to order them...unless the policy is changed at some time in the future. In the case of the dealer you referred to that always seemed to have 2-3 in stock, I'm sure he will qualify. Back in the 70's -80's, in our small town of 2500, we rarely had one for stock, but we usually sold 1 or 2 each year as sold orders. It just seems a shame to me that they would take that away from their smaller dealers, for no real reason. It doesn't affect corporate profits...GM makes the same markup regardless which dealer they ship it to. It also seems grossly unfair to do it, given the fact that GM's requiring them to spend $$$ meeting the same facility standards, yet treating them as "second class" by not even allowing them to place a sold order. Bottom line, I think it's just one more way for them to reward one group of dealers at the expense of the others.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
The StraightShooter

[quote=gm makes the same markup regardless which dealer they ship it to. It also seems grossly unfair to do it, given the fact that gm's requiring them to spend $$$ meeting the same facility standards, yet treating them as "second class" by not even allowing them to place a sold order. Bottom line, i think it's just one more way for them to reward one group of dealers at the expense of the others. [/quote]

exactly...
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote