Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
CL Pgh

X-Man - The pics. in that link are powerful... wow. You're right, Sad is a better word!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
X-Man - The pics. in that link are powerful... wow. You're right, Sad is a better word!
As part of my Shasta trip last September I made a point to go to Lake Oroville. I'd never been there before and had no idea what to expect - I hadn't even seen pictures of the lake before I made my trip.

When I got there it looked exactly like slide #74 - I couldn't believe it. At first I figured it was a lost cause but then I noticed a sign pointing to the "Low Water Level Launching Area." I followed the sign and proceeded down a steep gravel road which lead to an improvised boat launch near the base of the dam. Fortunately I was driving my Wrangler, it would have been impossible with a 2WD vehicle.

Once I was on the lake I had a great time but it was really strange seeing the water level that low.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
When I got there it looked exactly like slide #74
OK, I realize that not everyone has the time to wade through 74 slides to visualize the low water conditions I've described.

While it's not as good as the picture in slide #74, the follow picture gives you an idea of what the boat launch looked like:

When I was there the water level was another 30 - 40 feet lower.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Default Anyone else seen a Floating Campsite?

All of this reminiscing about my trip to Lake Oroville reminded me of one of the coolest things I've ever seen - a Floating Campsite. :thumbsup_old:

I've had a chance to ride my RXP on a number of lakes and have never seen anything else like it. It's run by California's Parks and Recreation Department and it costs about $100/night.

The campsite is two stories tall and features a restroom with shower, propane barbecue and a table with a bench for seating. About the only thing you're missing is a place to have a campfire at the end of the day.

Maybe this is a common concept across the rest of the country, but I've never seen it in my travels through the West Coast.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
CL Pgh

When were you there? Last fall? That would be one hell of a hill to climb if your tow vehicle was under powered!

I’m with you X-Man. Plenty of water time… never seen one of those. Definitly different! I’d rather an enclosed pontoon… out on the water, the dew would have everything wet before mid-night.

Last edited by CL Pgh; 04-19-2009 at 05:50 PM.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
When were you there? Last fall? That would be one hell of a hill to climb if your tow vehicle was under powered!
I was there near the end of September last year. School was back in session and I had the lake almost to myself. (The fact that most of the boat launches were unusable also helped reduce traffic. )

Since the water level was 30' - 40' lower than in the picture above I had to use a different boat launch on the same site that was closer to the dam. It was an improvised gravel boat launch without a dock. Without 4WD it would be almost impossible to use.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Summer Safety Tip - Courtesy of DealershipForum.com

It's always a good idea to check your trailer straps for proper routing and installation before heading out on the highway:

I saw this picture on a forum I read that covers Personal Watercraft. The person who posted the picture commented this is what happens when you don't route the winch strap under the rubber bumper.

To be safe, I always route the winch strap under the rubber bumper and I always use stern straps.