Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Ford > Sales

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Rumors concerning Ford's 2014.5 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It will be interesting to see what the next Mustang looks like. I've read that Ford's going to move away from the retro look so I guess anything is possible.
I was watching the Mecum Houston Auction on Tivo last night and thought of this post.

Mecum was selling an older Mustang and the on-air crew started talking about the new 2014 Mustang. One of the on-air guys went off on a rant claiming that the pictures he had seen made the new Mustang look like a two-door Ford Fusion - he thought it looked awful.

On of the other on-air guys went into "damage control" mode and commented that there are no official pictures of the 2014 Mustang from Ford and he was confident that Ford would build an aspirational vehicle that would be worthy of a Mustang badge.

Time will tell.... but Ford can't do anything worse to the Mustang than what they did back in 1974.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I was watching the Mecum Houston Auction on Tivo last night and thought of this post.

Mecum was selling an older Mustang and the on-air crew started talking about the new 2014 Mustang. One of the on-air guys went off on a rant claiming that the pictures he had seen made the new Mustang look like a two-door Ford Fusion - he thought it looked awful.

On of the other on-air guys went into "damage control" mode and commented that there are no official pictures of the 2014 Mustang from Ford and he was confident that Ford would build an aspirational vehicle that would be worthy of a Mustang badge.

Time will tell.... but Ford can't do anything worse to the Mustang than what they did back in 1974.
I'm a little concerned that Ford will screw up the next Mustang. I hope I'm wrong, but I see Ford going more in the direction of the European sport coupes. This isn't bad when talking about the platform and suspension set up. The Mustang needs help here. However, I'm just afraid the look and engine choices will mirror the European tastes more than American tastes. For a car that is an American icon, that could be a problem. I love the look of the current Mustang and its engine choices; it's just that the suspension could use some work. I guess we'll see what happens.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I'm a little concerned that Ford will screw up the next Mustang. I hope I'm wrong, but I see Ford going more in the direction of the European sport coupes. This isn't bad when talking about the platform and suspension set up. The Mustang needs help here. However, I'm just afraid the look and engine choices will mirror the European tastes more than American tastes. For a car that is an American icon, that could be a problem. I love the look of the current Mustang and its engine choices; it's just that the suspension could use some work. I guess we'll see what happens.
I'll split this post off and create a new thread about the 2014.5 Mustang in the Ford Sales sub-forum.

Concerning the 2014.5, I've read that Ford is planning to release the new Mustang in 2014 and sell it as a 2015 - just like they did with the original Mustang 50 years earlier in 1964.5.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Rumors concerning Ford's 2014.5 Mustang

I wanted to create a new thread concerning the 2014.5 Ford Mustang and split some posts away from another thread.

Concerning the 2014.5 Mustang, there's a great report from Jalopnik that shows two different renderings of the new Mustang. Here's the link - click here

Concerning the renderings from the Jalopnik site, I really like the first one and think it would be a great design that would be well received by the Mustang community and the public at large. Concerning the second rendering, while I don't hate it I can see why a true Mustang fan would feel that Ford strayed too far away from the Mustang's DNA.

Concerning the rest of the Jalopnik report, my only concern is it appears that the V-8 engines will play a less significant roll in the new Mustang.

As I've stated several times before, I fear we'll all look back on this era as being "the good old days" of true muscle cars in five or ten years when the OEMs are too busy chasing government mandated fuel economy to build cars that people actually want to drive.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Lakeshow

I really like the design on the Jalopnik site. Just remember, no one thought GM could F up the GTO as bad as they did either.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
I really like the design on the Jalopnik site. Just remember, no one thought GM could F up the GTO as bad as they did either.
Great point about the GTO.

I really wanted to like that car (mostly because it was a Bob Lutz project) but I just can't get past the rear end styling of the vehicle. I like the front end styling and the interior and I love the engine but I hate the rear end styling.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default The reveal date = 12/05/13

Well, according to a report from Reuters we won't have to wait too much longer to see what the new Mustang's going to look like. According to a news report released today the new Mustang will be revealed by Ford on 12/05/13. For a link to the news report - click here

Let's hope Ford keeps the Mustang alive as an aspirational vehicle and doesn't repeat the mistake they made back in 1974. (It's hard to believe that Iacocca would have released some of the ugly cars Ford built in the mid to late 70s.)

I remember hearing that the Ford Probe was supposed to be the replacement for the Mustang back in the 80s but when the Mustang fans caught wind of Ford's plans they generated a major backlash. Thankfully Ford kept the Mustang alive as a V8/RWD vehicle and marketed the Probe as a separate vehicle.

Concerning the 2014.5 Mustang - I hope Ford hits a Home Run. Time will tell.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
AR2

Car & Driver supposedly has leaked images of what the Mustang will look like (or very close approximation anyway). http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news

I like what I see, but I'm not sure I would be willing to put money down for one just yet. Although the car in the Car & Driver article does look good, it just doesn't move me. The good part is that the combination of an independent suspension (finally) with the 5.0 V-8 and manual transmission sounds really good. I also understand we might see either a 9-speed or 10-speed automatic in the Mustang in the near future. I guess we'll see when the car is revealed in a couple of weeks.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Car & Driver supposedly has leaked images of what the Mustang will look like (or very close approximation anyway). http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news

I like what I see, but I'm not sure I would be willing to put money down for one just yet. Although the car in the Car & Driver article does look good, it just doesn't move me. The good part is that the combination of an independent suspension (finally) with the 5.0 V-8 and manual transmission sounds really good. I also understand we might see either a 9-speed or 10-speed automatic in the Mustang in the near future. I guess we'll see when the car is revealed in a couple of weeks.
Wow, if the 2015 Mustang looks as good as the pictures in the Car and Driver link I'll be impressed. I think the pictures look awesome.

I'm also a big fan of Ford's 5.0 Coyote engine and will be interested to see if Ford develops a 500 HP version of the engine as C&D suggests.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Today's the Day - Ford unveils 2015 Mustang

As promised, today is the day that Ford indicated they'd unveil the 2015 Mustang.

Here's a link to the Ford webpage - click here

If you click the "Gallery" button on Ford's site you'll get to see about 25 pictures of the car.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
tnpartsguy

Default 4 cylinder!!

The news also reported it will be the 1st time since the '80s you can get a 4 cylinder Mustang again..... Let me know how THAT works for ya Ford
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
The news also reported it will be the 1st time since the '80s you can get a 4 cylinder Mustang again..... Let me know how THAT works for ya Ford
I get the impression that Ford was well positioned for $5/gallon gasoline but the market headed in a different direction.

I'm not opposed to a four-cylinder Mustang if the power/performance is adequate but I wonder if there will be a market for the vehicle if gas remains near $3/gallon.

The other variable is, regardless of whether the market wants it or not, OEMs need to worry about the increased CAFE standards that are just around the corner.