Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Ford > Sales

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Ford adds QR Codes to their 2012 Monroney Stickers

Maybe this is old news but it's the first I've heard of it - Ford has added QR Codes to the lower right side of their Monroney Stickers for their 2012 vehicles.

Here's an example from a vehicle I was looking at at Barrett-Jackson:

When I scan the QR Code with my Droid X I can tell it's sending the VIN information to Ford but all I get is a generic looking mobile website without that much helpful information. I'm guessing that Ford's still working on their mobile website and they probably won't promote the availability of QR Codes until their mobile website is fully functional.

That said, the potential for this technology is huge. Imagine salespeople (and customers) being able to get accurate incentive information on a particular vehicle by just scanning the QR Code. If a customer wants to know how much the F150 he's looking at can tow, just scan the QR Code.

Even better would be a permanent QR Code that could be used for the life of the vehicle. Service Advisers could scan the QR Code when they start writing repair orders and customers could use the QR Code to determine warranty coverage, warranty start dates, recall information, etc.

Are there any other OEMs that have added QR Codes to their Monroneys?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
When I scan the QR Code with my Droid X I can tell it's sending the VIN information to Ford but all I get is a generic looking mobile website without that much helpful information. I'm guessing that Ford's still working on their mobile website and they probably won't promote the availability of QR Codes until their mobile website is fully functional.
In fairness to Ford I changed the text size setting on my Droid X to "Normal" from "Large" and their mobile website was much better and easier to use. There's still no VIN-specific information, however, so I'm still convinced that QR Codes are a work-in-process for Ford.

On a different note, although the picture above is a little blurry the QR Code still works. If you have a smartphone you can scan the QR Code from your computer screen and you'll be taken to Ford's mobile website.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Guess what, the EPA wants a QR Code too

I was doing some searching with Google and it appears the EPA is thinking about adding their own QR Code to the Monroney in MY 2013. Here's a link to the report - click here

Who wants to bet the EPA will tell the OEMs they cannot have QR Codes on the Monroney because it will confuse the customer? I hope I'm wrong but I'm betting I'm right....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default It works now.....

I was checking this thread earlier today and thought I'd re-scan the QR Code to see if Ford updated their system and discovered the QR Code now provides vehicle specific information.

I don't know if the reason it didn't work before was because Ford was still developing their program or perhaps it was because the vehicle above was at Barrett-Jackson and it hadn't been invoiced to a dealer yet. The vehicle above has now been invoiced to Chapman Ford and scanning the QR Code provides information about the vehicle and the dealership.

That said, Ford's QR Code still has some missing information - I didn't see any information concerning special incentives or offers. (Maybe this is by design at the request of Ford's dealers?)

Regardless, I still think the idea of a QR Code on the Monroney is cool and I think it's only a matter of time before all vehicles will either have a QR Code or a NFC chip that links the VIN to the OEMs site which provides information about the vehicle.