Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
Lowaird1964

Default Another "new guy" GM parts manager

So I just took over for a not so great manager. I was curious how to run a few screens. Parts obsolescence.

Also what other screens would you suggest be ran when first taking over to see what I am dealing with. Thanx
Lowaird1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Lowaird1964 - Welcome to DealershipForum and thanks for creating an Introduction thread.

Concerning your question, we have a couple of different GM Parts Managers on the forum who have been very helpful - hopefully they'll chime in and provide you some answers.

If I can ask, what DMS (Dealership Management System) are you using?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Joker

Welcome to the forum.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Lowaird1964

Thanx guys. Anyone have any thoughts on what to run when first taking over the management position?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
zep33

your legs, as fast as you can, and keep going
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
tnpartsguy

1st, welcome. 2nd, what DMS system are you on? 3rd, what's your background?

22 years ago, I took my current position - the dealership was just starting to recover from several bad years. The parts inventory was terrible. Don't expect to make a huge change overnight, parts departments are like air craft carriers, takes a lot to turn them around.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post

22 years ago, I took my current position - the dealership was just starting to recover from several bad years. The parts inventory was terrible. Don't expect to make a huge change overnight, parts departments are like air craft carriers, takes a lot to turn them around.
tnpartsguy - Thanks for offering to help out a fellow member - I really appreciate it.

Good Karma for you....
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Lowaird1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post

Hey thank you for the reply. We have Reynolds & Reynolds. I have been in parts for about 12 years now. I started out working in the business back in mid 2000's. I'm a pretty young guy, 35. About 4 years after I started in the business I was promoted to manager. But little did I know at the time this wasn't because I was a great counter guy in that 4 years, it was because a year or so later the dealership closed. I was there as parts manager to basically wind the place down and through their termination. Around 2008 I started at my current place of employment. During the last 5 or 6 years I worked the counter, per say. Really doing everything on the GM side except a few odds and ends that the "manager" is supposed to do. Well recently i took over as manager from a not so great manager. So anyway that is a little of my background and now being out of the manager side. I am looking for some input on what I should be looking for. Basically the guy before me robbed the place blind. Most of the counts are correct on the shelf. He would just minus the stuff out in the 2010 screen. So accounting I am sure says we have one figure but what we really have is going to be way off. This guy was basically giving his buddies everything for free out the side door. And I mean everything!!!! I want to see some reports that I can give them or have them run so I can kind of draw a line and say. This was from then and this is when I came type of deal.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
steve_biegler

From the dealer principal side, he should do a complete inventory to know what HE has. If he is unwilling to do this, HE knows there is a problem but chooses to bury his head in the sand. This is not good. Finding out HE is tens and maybe more thousands short in his inventory can be a major hit to his balance sheet. Good Luck!!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
conn02

For your own piece of mind, you should insist on an outside inventory audit to give you a starting place. Barring that you should get a hold harmless signed by the dealer principal because the blame might fall on you
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
From the dealer principal side, he should do a complete inventory to know what HE has. If he is unwilling to do this, HE knows there is a problem but chooses to bury his head in the sand. This is not good. Finding out HE is tens and maybe more thousands short in his inventory can be a major hit to his balance sheet. Good Luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
For your own piece of mind, you should insist on an outside inventory audit to give you a starting place. Barring that you should get a hold harmless signed by the dealer principal because the blame might fall on you
You both make an excellent point. Without a physical inventory there's no way the Dealer Principal or the Parts Manager will know where they stand and whether the situation is improving.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
mryan55

It doesn't sound like you are part of a dealer group, but rather than an outside audit we have the managers from each store swap and do a physical inventory at a different store... we just went through it a few weeks ago!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
Lowaird1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
It doesn't sound like you are part of a dealer group, but rather than an outside audit we have the managers from each store swap and do a physical inventory at a different store... we just went through it a few weeks ago!

I think that's a good idea and a great way to keep expense down! Thanx for the idea but we are a stand alone dealership.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Lowaird1964

Well since my dealer just doesn't seem to interested in doing an outside physical inventory my guys and I started this past week doing bin checks. Once I get finished are there any reports I can run myself for my own records?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Right on, there is no substitute for a quality physical inventory, and using a professional outside company is an excellent idea. I f your inventory is off in either direction, it means something. I also have dealership audit experience, and the Parts inventory is always a clue to good or bad. Do it as soon as you can to avoid trouble later. The inventory companies typically charge a small percentage of your inventory and fly right thrugh it on a weekend. The other value to using them is networking. You'll probably meet people you'll want to stay in contact with. Best wishes to you.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote