Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #31
mr4t60e

I am replying to this thread on an airplane at 30000 feet somewhere between Milwaukee and Seattle. For a guy who doesn't have a cell phone that is pretty impressive
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #32
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
I am replying to this thread on an airplane at 30000 feet somewhere between Milwaukee and Seattle. For a guy who doesn't have a cell phone that is pretty impressive
I just noticed this post - I'm guessing you were using in-cabin WiFi provided by the airline and replied using your laptop?

If so, I think that's a first for DealershipForum. I can't think of anyone else who has responded to a thread while they're inflight. Very cool.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
mr4t60e

Yes, I was using inflight Wifi provided by the airline, though because it was free, everyone was using it, so it was a bit slow at times. Considering that time spent flying is more or less wasted time, having internet access inflight is incredibly useful for those with something to do.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #34
XDCX
Administrator

Default Vizio's getting in the Cell Phone and Tablet market

With the Consumer Electronics Show starting in Las Vegas this week there will be a ton of new devices released.

Vizio, known mostly for their TVs sold at Costco and Walmart, announced they're going to start selling Android based cell phones in tablets later this year. Both devices will include a Infrared blaster so the devices can work as a remote to control TVs, stereos, etc.

Vizio also made the news this week when Google TV announced that Vizio will offer some TVs with the Google TV application later this year.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
mr4t60e

So much cool stuff coming out, so little disposable income...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #36
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
So much cool stuff coming out, so little disposable income...
I love this time of year. There's nothing better than to start off 2011 with all the cool stuff that's being shown at CES. (Consumer Electronics Show)

LG is upping their game by showing a 72" TV that will have Internet Apps and Motorola showed a new smart phone (the Atrix) that's so powerful it can be docked to a laptop device and provide all the computing power and the operating system. (This has to be Microsoft's worst nightmare - laptop computers that run on an Android operating system.)

The car manufacturers have a big presence at CES this year - it will be interesting to see what they come out with.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #37
OutDrive.ca

as far as interesting tech on the automotive side, I was really impressed with the Bluetooth audio streaming and the ability to upload and download user profiles from car to car on the new X3, 5 series, and 7 series. Both are incredibly user friendly.
OutDrive.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #38
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy Tried out Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 9 and didn't like it

As a general rule I'm "pro-Microsoft" and I've been very loyal to their products.

I read about the release of IE9 and the reviews were very positive so I downloaded it and tried it out for a couple of days on my personal laptop. I didn't like it and switched back to IE8 this morning.

It's not like IE9 is horrible, I just didn't think it was any faster and I really missed the separate search box. (IE9 eliminates the search box and combines it with the box where you input URLs.)

I guess I'll just continue to surf with IE8 until something better comes along.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
XDCX
Administrator

Default I just started using Pandora Radio

OK, I'll admit that Pandora's hardly an example of new technology - but it is to me...

I'd heard of Pandora for the past couple of years but never paid much attention. I was doing some paperwork the other night and got tired of listening to my music so I thought I'd check out Pandora's service - now I'm hooked.

For those who have never heard of Pandora, it's a free service that allows you to stream music via the Internet. The service is supported by an occasional commercial but they're not too intrusive. If you hate commercials you can upgrade for $36/year and get commercial-free streaming.

I think one of the coolest things is Pandora allows you to tailor your own radio station - you just list the groups you like to listen to and Pandora does the rest.

If you want to check it out, here's the link: Pandora
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #40
crowe

I've been using Pandora for about a year & love it. I receive Pandora thru a Roku box hooked to a home theater system.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #41
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
I've been using Pandora for about a year & love it. I receive Pandora thru a Roku box hooked to a home theater system.
Pandora just had their IPO yesterday and shares traded as high as $26. Just a day later and the euphoria has vanished and shares are trading for 50 cents below the IPO price of $16.

Regardless of the stock performance I still think Pandora is a cool service and I've read that some people believe it will eventually kill off the market for Sirius/XM satellite radio.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #42
XDCX
Administrator

Angry FYI - Verizon's killing off Unlimited Data on 7/7/11

For those who are still sitting on the sidelines waiting to get your first smartphone, you may want to take note that Verizon's killing off their Unlimited Data plans on 7/7/11. If you get in before the plans are killed-off it appears you can "grandfather" the plans onto subsequent phones.

Currently Verizon charges $30/month for Unlimited Data - after 7/7/11 it goes to $30/month for 2GB and up to $80/month for 10 GB.

I've been waiting to get a Motorola Bionic but the phone won't be released until sometime later this summer - too late to lock in Unlimited Data. I'm thinking about picking up a used Droid X off contract so I can upgrade to a LTE phone later this year without paying early termination fees.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #43
XDCX
Administrator

Default Buying a used smartphone - It's a minefield out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I've been waiting to get a Motorola Bionic but the phone won't be released until sometime later this summer - too late to lock in Unlimited Data. I'm thinking about picking up a used Droid X off contract so I can upgrade to a LTE phone later this year without paying early termination fees.
I've been shopping on Ebay and Craigslist for a cheap Droid X that I can buy off contract and it's a freaken minefield out there.

When I first started shopping on Ebay I noticed a lot of the phones were being sold with a "Bad ESN" - I figured it was some type of product problem. When I looked into the issue further I learned that the ESN is the Electronic Serial Number and Verizon locks down the ESN if the phone's been reported lost, stolen or there's still an outstanding bill on the account.

After I learned about the ESN issue I pretty much gave up on Craigslist fearing that there would be little recourse if I bought a stolen phone with a bad ESN.

I purchased a Droid X on Ebay last night from a seller who has a strong reputation - hopefully the phone will ship and I'll be able to activate it before 7/7/11.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #44
XDCX
Administrator

Default First post with new smartphone

First post using Droid X.

Google's voice recognition program is very cool. I didn't have to type any of that or this.......
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #45
XDCX
Administrator

Smile 2 Gigs is a lot of data......

Quote:
As I mentioned above the main reason I bought a smartphone was because I wanted to lock in Unlimited Data before Verizon switched to tiered pricing. I bought my Droid X via Ebay and I'm grandfathered in with Unlimited Data.

That said, I have to admit that 2 GBs is a lot of data. I've been intentionally trying to consume a lot of data just to test my phone and I've consumed just over 1.2 GB after a couple of weeks. I've read that people consume more data when they get a faster phone but I have to admit that for most people 2 GB will probably be plenty of data.

Quote:
First post using Droid X.

Google's voice recognition program is very cool. I didn't have to type any of that or this.......
So far I'd have to say that Google's Voice Recognition is probably one of the coolest features about owning a smartphone.