Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
little_bank_robber

Default 'Roll'?

What does it mean when you 'roll' a customer? Are you saying that a dealer would let a customer take a car before the financing was in place?!?!
little_bank_robber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post
What does it mean when you 'roll' a customer? Are you saying that a dealer would let a customer take a car before the financing was in place?!?!
"Roll" is just another expression for a spot delivery where the you let the customer drive the new vehicle home even though you don't have the financing approved yet.

The store that I was at was unusual because the Finance Department had a great deal of power and would dictate to the Sales Desk whether the vehicle could be delivered. The Finance Department preferred to do "check-outs" where you send the customer home without the new car and called them to come back in when the deal was approved.

In my experience, the stores that spot delivered sold a lot more cars than the dealerships that did "check-outs."
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #18
dealer3100

In Metro stores you need to roll the customer if you feel their is a deal there. If you don't more than likely they will or could go some where else where the other dealer will deliver the customer. Interesting about F+I. I have seen it both ways with strong F+I and desk. But I prefer that the desk and the GSM or GM make the decision. Most desk guys have been in finance before. Also, in this day and age the desk is already getting most of the deals approved while negotiation is going on. With Route One most banks take under 10 minutes to give you a decision or at least a preliminary decision.
dealer3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer3100 View Post
In Metro stores you need to roll the customer if you feel their is a deal there. If you don't more than likely they will or could go some where else where the other dealer will deliver the customer. Interesting about F+I. I have seen it both ways with strong F+I and desk. But I prefer that the desk and the GSM or GM make the decision. Most desk guys have been in finance before. Also, in this day and age the desk is already getting most of the deals approved while negotiation is going on. With Route One most banks take under 10 minutes to give you a decision or at least a preliminary decision.
I agree 100% - that's exactly what would happen. There's nothing more demoralizing to a salesperson then to learn that his/her customer just bought a car at another dealership because they agreed to roll the car.

In the store that I was at the Finance Manager was engaged to the Dealer Principal - that's the reason the department had an unusual amount of power.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Resurrecting a Super-old thread.....

I thought of this thread last night when I was watching a re-run of Pawn Stars that featured a segment with Josh Towbin - aka "The Chopper."

It appears the segment first ran in October, 2013 and Josh drops by the Pawn Shop to buy a 1914 Dodge so he can be one step closer to being the top selling Dodge dealer. (I'm guessing Towbin was close to being the #1 Dodge Dealer in the Nation in 2013?)

It was interesting to see Josh on TV again and the segment was entertaining despite the fact that it was likely scripted like so much "reality TV."

What I'd love to know is how much Towbin Dodge had to pay to be included in the Pawn Stars show? I've noticed that several episodes of the Pawn Stars lately feature fake plots where cast members patronize a local business - e.g. Barber Shop, Hamburger restaurant, Gun Range, etc. I'm no expert when it comes to TV production, but I'm assuming that each of these companies has to pay to have their business featured on the show.

Interestingly, the Pawn Stars episode never mentioned Josh's last name or Towbin Dodge - they just made reference to him as a car dealer who is well known in Las Vegas because of his infomercial.