Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdealerman View Post
This was a Government mandated recall!!!!
Great point.

When I made my last post I was still under the impression that Toyota made their decision voluntarily - that's clearly not the case.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
MARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Great point.

When I made my last post I was still under the impression that Toyota made their decision voluntarily - that's clearly not the case.
Well, well, well................................
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Default Toyota Dealer cancels Press Conference

I get the impression that Toyota has a pretty firm grip on their dealers as it relates to their current situation.

A news report indicates that Brown Automotive canceled a Press Conference at the last minute and was not able to provide any information regarding rescheduling. Here's the full article - click here

In fairness to Toyota, it's just speculation on my part that they played a role in the dealer's decision to cancel the Press Conference. Additionally, I'm sure that legal counsel for any OEM would likely suggest the same action.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
MARV

Let me say that I DO NOT wish ANY ill on my AMERICAN brothers and sisters that work in Toyo stores. However, it is an unfortunate turn of events that will undoubtedly cause them financial discomfort. I am sorry for this and find no pleasure in their sufferage.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
MARV

Another little tidbit.

http://thearticlewriter.com/autowrit...a-labor-abuse/
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
zohpy

My local CU informed us via fax this afternoon that the will not be offering financing on any of the recalled Toyota models or on the Pontiac Vibe. Wonder how long before the Big Boys will be doing the same thing.
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
Txflyer

Fort Worth Star Telegram had an article on some of the accidents in Texas today. They seem to think the problems are caused by something other than the pedals or mats:

http://www.star-telegram.com/busines...y/1927959.html
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
Fort Worth Star Telegram had an article on some of the accidents in Texas today. They seem to think the problems are caused by something other than the pedals or mats:

http://www.star-telegram.com/busines...y/1927959.html
I've got to admit, prior to this afternoon I didn't know the vehicles in question all used "throttle by wire" accelerators. When Toyota spoke of "corrosion" and "binding" I just assumed they were still using a cable to control the throttle body.

I read an article tonight indicating that Toyota is one of just a few OEMs that doesn't use software to prevent the brake pedal and the accelerator from being activated at the same time.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohpy View Post
My local CU informed us via fax this afternoon that the will not be offering financing on any of the recalled Toyota models or on the Pontiac Vibe. Wonder how long before the Big Boys will be doing the same thing.
Interesting - thanks for the information.

My bet is all the banks will quickly follow suit - they know they have "deep pockets" and would be vulnerable if an accident happened on a vehicle they financed.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #25
CL Pgh

A separate forum I frequent has a guy complaining about the way the Japanese Gov. tariffs auto imports to a point that US manufactures aren’t competitive with the Japan auto companies. Here’s my response back to him below:

COPIED:
If it makes ya feel any better Randy, take some pleasure knowing the timing, scale and unusualness of this Toyota recall & inventory stock stop sell… is a tariff of sorts imposed by our Gov.. (this isn't voluntary!) The spring market for the auto plants is today… tie their hands for a few weeks this time of year and GM will surely take back it’s no#1 spot in the US market. Also, no three companies will benefit more from a crippled Toyota than GMAC, GM & Chrysler. And while the largest share holder of these 3 companies is us the tax payer… POTUS will be the one receiving all the Kudos for “savings” these companies. (and everyone will forget the Gov. is the one that hand-walked GM & Chrys. thru an unprecedented BK to start with)

I think the SEC would call this stock/share price manipulation.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
I think the SEC would call this stock/share price manipulation.
It sounds like there are going to be Congressional Hearings regarding how Toyota and the NHTSA handled the investigation and recall.

At this point I think it's too early to suggest the NHTSA has acted too aggressively or with a political agenda. That said, your example is one more reason why I hate the fact the U.S. Government owns GM and GMAC.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
MARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It sounds like there are going to be Congressional Hearings regarding how Toyota and the NHTSA handled the investigation and recall.

At this point I think it's too early to suggest the NHTSA has acted too aggressively or with a political agenda. That said, your example is one more reason why I hate the fact the U.S. Government owns GM and GMAC.
Let us not forget they threw themselves at the mercy of the government and as bad as it is it could certainly be worse. I wish them no evil and hope they can pay the feds back in a timely manner.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #28
XDCX
Administrator

Default Toyota plans to release a fix next week and have all cars repaired in a month

Based on several news reports it appears Toyota has submitted a fix for the problem vehicles to NHTSA and they're waiting for approval. Toyota hopes to have a fix in place by next week and all the vehicles repaired within a month.

The fix that's currently being discussed involves installing a shim on the existing accelerator assembly to reduce the amount of friction and allow the spring to return the pedal to the idle position.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #29
Txflyer

CTS is claiming that sticking pedals are NOT the problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ory?id=9689799

Sure going to be interesting if Toyota makes all those pedal modifications and the accidents continue to occur.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #30
MARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
CTS is claiming that sticking pedals are NOT the problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ory?id=9689799

Sure going to be interesting if Toyota makes all those pedal modifications and the accidents continue to occur.
IF that isn't the problem and if it persists I wouldn't want to be holding any Toyo stock!