Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Ralph

Default March Sales

How's March going for anyone? My first week was Ok, but here we are half way through and it's become a flat line. No floor traffic, both new and used are quiet. I'm back to putting on HGTV on the big TV in the showroom so I can at least listen to people having good things happen to them,
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Txflyer

By pre-2008 standards our month is ugly looking. Going by post BK/economic crash standards we are having a pretty darned good month. Already exceeded our Chrysler goals with another 10+ days left in the month. Down to 1 Wrangler Unlimited and our last Commander will be delivered tomorrow! Probably the best new car month we've had in over a year.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
By pre-2008 standards our month is ugly looking. Going by post BK/economic crash standards we are having a pretty darned good month. .... Probably the best new car month we've had in over a year.
Same here! Not at my quota yet but I'll hit it for sure. Traffic is up a little over the last 60days... but the quality of the customer/buyer is night & day.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Toyota buying the market with big incentives?

I keep hearing that Toyota is stepping up with big incentives as they try to work their way through the current storm they're in.

I'm not sure if Toyota's agenda is to support their dealers or just avoid the bad press that would follow if they reported poor sale results in March. It's probably a combination of both agendas.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Ralph

As a good franchisor, be it KFC, Micky D's or an auto manufacturer, you owe it to enact policies to help those who've shelled out their hearts, souls and in many cases 110% of their personal assets.

Toyota dealers and their employees didn't ask for this, and Toyota's doing whatever it has to to maintain some momentum for it's dealer body in the face of an ugly tempest. This and GM's latest moves highlight how to do it right and that...........is why many of us feel so down on our franchisor. often times it feels they abandoned us. we're struggling and all we hear is that this is Ok with the top of the totem pole. Really frustrating.

But....oh well...I have the flu and have tons of other misery to complain about to my wife. "Honey, I'm achy.....Honey I have a headache...Honey can you get me some Ben and Gerry's....
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Toyota dealers and their employees didn't ask for this, and Toyota's doing whatever it has to to maintain some momentum for it's dealer body in the face of an ugly tempest. This and GM's latest moves highlight how to do it right and that...........is why many of us feel so down on our franchisor. often times it feels they abandoned us. we're struggling and all we hear is that this is Ok with the top of the totem pole. Really frustrating.
Great comments.

While I think Toyota did a horrible job handling the early stages of the recall, I give them a lot of credit for stepping up and fighting back.

To be clear, I don't know if there's an underlying safety issue with Toyota's vehicles or not, that's not my area of expertise. If they've hidden problems that have cost lives then that's immoral. My comments are directed at the efforts their sales and marketing teams have taken given the challenge at hand.

I think Toyota's done a great job of supporting their dealers. The massive increase in incentives and advertising may not help Toyota's bottom line but it's keeping their dealers in the game. I wonder if "hibernation" was even an option they considered?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote