Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Can a dealer drop the warrranty on a used car for customers demanding a discount?

I was looking through some Used Car ads by Dealer on Craigslist the other day and noticed there was one dealer who was promoting a 12 Month/12,000 Mile Warranty in the title of his ad.

When you clicked on the link and read the ad it indicated the 12 Month/12,000 Mile Warranty was only available for customers who paid the full asking price. Any customers who negotiated a price discount would not receive the warranty coverage.

While I like the idea that customers who want to pay less should get less, I'm wondering if negotiating warranty coverage on a used car might attract the attention of a State Attorney General?

Would negotiating a warranty on a used car be permitted in your state? Is it something your store would do or is it asking for trouble later on if the car has problems and the customer wants warranty coverage?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Lakeshow

Not sure how legal it is but we did it with the GM Certified units back in the day, and do it with the NIADA Certified we do now. When they want to beat you out of every last cent sometimes you have to get back what you can.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
mryan55

I just advertise everything without a warranty... if throwing in one of the Chrysler 3/3 limited warranties is required, I throw it in... the only vehicles witt warranty guarantees on my lot are Chrysler CPOV... and I don't mess with the diversified CPOV program that Chrysler offers for non-CDJR vehicles.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote