Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler's Product Plan - New Model Timetable

Here's a link to Autoblog's recap of Chrysler's Product Plan for the next five years - click here

The website does a great job of filtering through Chrysler's presentation and creating a timetable for the elimination of existing models and the arrival of new models.

Like Chrysler's presentation, it appears that the dates used are calendar years, not model years.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Still not sure what a "Major Upgrade" is?

At this point, the biggest question I have about Chrysler's product plan over the next two years is - what constitutes a "Major Upgrade"?

To me, a "Major Upgrade" requires new sheet metal and new fascias.

That said, I recall hearing that some vehicles will receive changes that will improve fuel economy and NVH. Are these considered "Major Upgrades"?

In my opinion, unless Chrysler is going to make a vehicle like the Jeep Compass less ugly, they should save their money and just kill it.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Ralph

Major upgrade? I was in Las Vegas for Jim Press's speech when Cerberus took over, what 3 years ago? He said then the redundancy of the product, (using the launch of the Caravan/TC as an example) was killing Chrysler. He also mentioned the horrid interiors of Sebring/Avenger. he said job one was "major upgrades" of those vehicles. Nov.2009, the redundancy of models is just fine, but they'll do major upgrades to the dead wood that was dead wood 3 years ago. Major upgrades = taillights, grills, mouldings, arm rests, and radio dash bezels painted the body color. If you're a Mexican, Brazilian, or Italian Fiat dealer, the news on the 4th meant a broadened spectrum of vehicles for your already presperous stores. If you're a US dealer, the news was for the next 3 years, you'll have the stuff Cerberus said they'd fix or kill off three years ago. hard to get excited about that.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
LJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you're a US dealer, the news was for the next 3 years, you'll have the stuff Cerberus said they'd fix or kill off three years ago. hard to get excited about that.

You hit that nail right on the head.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
possum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
You hit that nail right on the head.
The nail is in the coffin.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Major upgrades = taillights, grills, mouldings, arm rests, and radio dash bezels painted the body color.
That's may fear - I'm hoping that Chrysler hasn't over-sold the idea of what a "major upgrade" is. In my opinion if they're going to be keeping these vehicles until 2012 they need to bend some new sheet metal.

Conversely, I would love to know how much these "major upgrades" are going to add to the cost of each vehicle. Maybe it would make more sense to apply these funds to incentives instead?

If there's one thing the CARS program proved, it's that even a Jeep Compass will sell if the incentives are high enough.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Ralph

you're kidding...even a Compass??? :shades:
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
you're kidding...even a Compass??? :shades:
Believe it or not, the Compass was a hot product on the West Coast near the end of the CARS program. Most dealers ran out of eligible vehicles and were scrambling to find any unit that would work for the CARS incentive.

That said, I have ALWAYS hated the Compass and cannot believe that Marchionne isn't going to kill it off.

I think it would be cool if the forum were large enough that we could convince all the Jeep dealers to pass on their Compass allocation. It would be like Chrysler throwing a big party and no one shows up.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
Ralph

In this market, we cannot keep many vehicles in inventory. The problem here, with not killing off dead vehicle lines like Compass, is that there are something like 17 models that a full line CJD dealer has to cover if they're going to stock one of everything. If you're selling ten cars a month, as many dealers are currently, 20 vehicles is a 60 day inventory. It is impossible to cover everything. Thus, I can only stock certain models that sell and I can't order Compass or Avengers because I need to have a few of the better selling models. These plants won't get enough orders to make keeping these models in the stable viable. Compass may go away because people just can't afford to order them when they only fill up inventory that should be replaced with Rams, Wranglers, Minivans, etc.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
In this market, we cannot keep many vehicles in inventory. The problem here, with not killing off dead vehicle lines like Compass, is that there are something like 17 models that a full line CJD dealer has to cover if they're going to stock one of everything. If you're selling ten cars a month, as many dealers are currently, 20 vehicles is a 60 day inventory. It is impossible to cover everything. Thus, I can only stock certain models that sell and I can't order Compass or Avengers because I need to have a few of the better selling models. These plants won't get enough orders to make keeping these models in the stable viable. Compass may go away because people just can't afford to order them when they only fill up inventory that should be replaced with Rams, Wranglers, Minivans, etc.
Excellent comment.

I blame LaSorda for the initial decision to produce the Compass, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why no one else has stepped up to kill it off? What other OEM has two vehicles that come out of the same assembly plant with the same branding competing on the showroom floor? It's insane.

If for no other reason, Jeep should kill off the Compass and turn it into a P.R. event. We all know the true Jeep lovers hate the Compass, what a great opportunity to show that Marchionne is listening to his customers and wants to return the Jeep brand to its legendary greatness.

On a final note, I think your comments about trying to cover 17 models is relevant to larger dealers too. Even a dealer selling 100+/month wouldn't be able to stock a representative sample of colors and trim levels.

In this case "less is more" - Chrysler needs to kill the Compass.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Ralph

To make the announcement in an 8 hour extravaganza, that Chrysler is addressing a problem ALL agree on, (too many competing models in the same showroom), would send the message that management is addressing the problems. As I've said earlier, my prediction of the worst case scenario, coming out and announcing, 'We're making tons of money, everything is great, and by the way, we're keeping all of the stuff everyone has said is redundant and has to be culled..." is a sign of either defeat, not caring about the US dealer body and market, or plain insanity. Since Marchionne probably isn't insane, it means either he's giving up or doesn't much care.

Since they've been given all of Chrysler's assets for free, they can let it roll and see what they can make while planning a world-wide marketing strategy. I was told by a Chrysler rep the day after the announcement on the 4th, "Between you and me, you'll see many models just drop off the map next year." That will signal defeat and poor planning should that happen. But of course, putting a new arm rest and tail lamps on Compasses, Avengers, Sebrings, and Calibers to appease the dealers, (they think), and then be forced to drop them later on is a poor plan. Sends a horrid message to me anyway.

I think they're plan is to build a world marketing strategy utilizing Chrysler's good parts blended with Fiat and if they make anything on the US market, its gravy. If they're forced to shrink more and more, and even liquidate some of the US Chrysler, oh well, they've got no money in the game and the liquidated assets will go directly to the owners, 69% UAW retirement trust. It is pretty simple actually.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I think they're plan is to build a world marketing strategy utilizing Chrysler's good parts blended with Fiat and if they make anything on the US market, its gravy. If they're forced to shrink more and more, and even liquidate some of the US Chrysler, oh well, they've got no money in the game and the liquidated assets will go directly to the owners, 69% UAW retirement trust. It is pretty simple actually.
While I acknowledge it's not a popular position, I continue to believe that Chrysler is worth more to Marchionne "dead than alive." Why would he want to repay the government loans and buyout the UAW's equity when it would be so much cheaper to "cherry pick" assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation?

Could I be wrong? Yes. Have I been wrong in the past? Yes. Have Chrysler's previous owners lied to the dealers while ultimately working their own agenda? Yes.

If Fiat had $1 Billion of cash in the game I'd dismiss my theory. Time will tell...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
ssdd

at the roadshow they said the refreshed compass was awesome, they said it looks like a baby Grand Cherokee...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
at the roadshow they said the refreshed compass was awesome, they said it looks like a baby Grand Cherokee...
If Chrysler can turn the Compass into a baby Grand Cherokee then anything's possible. Time will tell....