Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
79LilRedExpress

Default Theives steal Catalytic converters in Ohio

Catalytic converter thefts steam car dealer

July 16, 2013

Staff Reports , Morning Journal News

| SALEM - Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership owner John Kufleitner said he is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of persons responsible for stealing catalytic converters from 40 trucks at his Salem and Columbiana locations.

The thefts were reported Monday morning to police agencies in the two cities.

"I just think it's rotten," Kufleitner said.

He said anyone with information about the thefts at either dealership needs to contact the proper police agency and identify themselves. The reward will cover information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thief and the return of the stolen property.

The catalytic converters were removed from new diesel Dodge Ram trucks. Kufleitner said insurance will cover the cost of replacing the parts, but he indicated he wants to see something done to whomever is responsible.

Columbiana Police Chief Tim Gladis said there were 12 catalytic converters stolen from the Columbiana dealership the same time converters were stolen from the Salem dealership.

In a post on the department's Facebook page Monday evening the chief said the converters were taken from several 2013 Dodge Ram pickup trucks in the Columbiana lot.

He is encouraging anyone with knowledge of anyone selling or scrapping catalytic converters to contact him or Detective Wade Boley.

"Anyone going to the Canfield swap meet next weekend, please take a look around for anyone selling catalytic converters," he said on the Facebook page.

A Salem police spokesman said they were still gathering information and had no leads Monday afternoon.

Salem Chrysler Jeep Dodge is located on Legacy Lane off of North Ellsworth Avenue and can be seen from the bypass. Columbiana Chrysler Jeep Dodge is located on state Route 14, southeast of state Route 164.

Salem Police can be contacted at 330-337-7811 while Columbiana Police can be reached at 330-482-9292. Anonymous tips also can also be sent directly to Gladis via www.columbianapd.org
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
conn02

This is a regular occurrence in Texas. They are taking them for the precious metal content
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
This is a regular occurrence in Texas. They are taking them for the precious metal content
Sadly, it's a very common occurrence in the Southwest too.

Thieves with a battery powered Tiger Saw can quickly remove the catalytic converter with minimal effort. Trucks are easy targets since their high ground clearance makes it easy for the thief to get under the vehicle to remove the cat.

In the Southwest both new and used car dealers have been hit - I even read one report where thieves targeted cars parked at a movie theater because they knew it would be a couple of hours before the owners would return for their vehicles.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
79LilRedExpress

I thought it was interesting that the dealer used Facebook as their "Bounty Hunter"
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
I thought it was interesting that the dealer used Facebook as their "Bounty Hunter"
I think that's a great idea - the more people who know about the theft and the reward the better.

I also thought it was interesting the Dealer was thinking the converters might show up at a local swap meet. I've read that a lot of stolen property ends up being sold at swap meets or posted on Craigslist - the criminals are not always super bright and it makes it easy for them to be caught.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Converter thieves hit Razzari Dodge in California

I thought of this thread when I read that Razzari Dodge in Merced, CA just got hit with a theft of catalytic converters from the dealership. Here's a link to the news report - click here

I thought it was interesting that the local police are suggesting that vehicle owners should have their catalytic converters welded to the exhaust system to make them more difficult to steal. I thought most thieves were using a cordless Sawzall to cut through the exhaust pipes to remove the converter?

It was also interesting to read that some insurance experts are recommending that vehicle owners have their license number engraved onto the converter.

Call me a skeptic, but I doubt either measure would offer much protection.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
zep33

They end up at unscrupulous junk metal dealers, not swap meets
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
They end up at unscrupulous junk metal dealers, not swap meets
I've been helping my parents get their home in Seattle ready to sell and ended up with a moderate sized load of scrap metal to recycle. (Mostly spent brass, copper wire/pipe and aluminum scrap.)

My Dad and I made a trip to a nearby metal recycler and I was surprised to see how many anti-theft measures they had in place:
  1. My Dad had to provide photo ID which they photocopied
  2. They entered the License Plate Number of my truck on their paperwork
  3. Cash payment was limited to $30 - the remaining amount was paid by check send via U.S. Mail
Typically I'm not a fan of excessive law enforcement efforts but in this case I think it's appropriate. I don't know if the recycling business was conforming to a State law, City law or simply following their own policy but I think the safeguards are appropriate and I hope it's helping to reduce the theft of valuable metals.