Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Parts

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
ModernDave

Default Fiat Parts through separate dealerconnect?

We are already set up through dealerconnect but like others have been saying Fiat parts are not available through the Chrysler setup. Is there a separate network to sign up for to get the Fiat parts rolling? Who has done it already?

Thanks!
ModernDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I haven't kept up on all the details concerning the launch of the Fiat Dealer Network, but my bet is Auburn Hills has restricted the purchase of Fiat parts to Fiat franchise dealers only. I'm sure the Fiat dealers are still using DealerConnect to order their parts, it's just that Chrysler restricts access to the Fiat screens based on the dealer's Dealer Code.

The real expert on our forum concerning Chrysler parts is our member JoeRocket - hopefully he'll see this thread and either confirm my suspicion or correct my misinformation.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDave View Post
We are already set up through dealerconnect but like others have been saying Fiat parts are not available through the Chrysler setup. Is there a separate network to sign up for to get the Fiat parts rolling? Who has done it already?

Thanks!
When I log into DealerConnect, I have to specify which dealer code I want to log in under. Chry/Jp/Dge or Fiat (yes, we have seperate dealer code for Fiat...how wonderful. Try keeping all of that straight in your mind when you're busy...lol).

Fiat part numbers are only able to be viewed/ordered/processed in the Fiat specific DealerConnect login. The reverse seems to be true as well.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
ModernDave

Ah good information Joe thanks!

It seems that only dealers who have or are slated to have a Fiat Studio will be able to get a Fiat dealer code for parts. Suppose I might need another outlet for the Mopar branded Fiat accessories and parts then. What a pain!
ModernDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
JoeRocket

Quote:
What a pain!
You're telling me. Fiat has everything separate. I dunno why they couldn't do it the same as the other lines. Separate orders, DealerConnect, returns, MRAs, inventories, accounts, cores, warranty returns, etc, etc. Just take your ordinary routine and double it, basically. I understand Fiat did it this way because they want the dealers to have separate facilities AND employees for their product. From what I understand, the dealers are a little unsure how successful Fiat will be so they are only having a separate sales force until they see how it goes and will just have their people jump through hoops until then.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
From what I understand, the dealers are a little unsure how successful Fiat will be so they are only having a separate sales force until they see how it goes and will just have their people jump through hoops until then.
JoeRocket - thanks for clearing that issue up - I appreciate it.

Concerning the Fiat dealer network, I share your opinion and I think a lot of Fiat dealers are looking to minimize their investment until they determine if a Fiat franchise is viable.

I continue to believe Marchionne's decision to sell Fiats via a separate dealer network was a poor decision and one that will haunt him in the future.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
JoeRocket

I just snapped to something..

Caught Dave's intro thread. Dave, you are a aftermarket parts supplier with a DealerConnect account and sell factory parts?

This is the company you work for, right? http://www.modernperformance.com/

Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
possum

So, are non-Chrysler Dealers able to get Dealer Connect set ups? This must be a new concept, and we will just sell parts direct over the internet!!
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
JoeRocket

It appears that Mr. D is using someone's DealerConnect access. I'm betting Chrysler isn't aware of it.

Last edited by XDCX; 07-20-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Removed member's last name from this post at his request
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
So, are non-Chrysler Dealers able to get Dealer Connect set ups? This must be a new concept, and we will just sell parts direct over the internet!!
If the parts Modern Performance has access to are limited to Mopar Performance parts (Parts with a "P" part number) than I'm thinking it dates back to the deals Chrysler used to have with several speed shops across the country back in the Direct Connection days.

Chrysler allowed certain speed shops to order Direct Connection parts directly from the depot and sell to retail customers. The rationale back in the old days was the traditional Chrysler/Dodge dealers were not set-up to accommodate customers looking for performance parts so allowing speed shops access to the depots was not going to hurt dealers.

It was a minor thorn to some dealers but the sales volume through the speed shops never amounted to enough volume to get excited about.

Quote:
It appears that Mr. D is using someone's DealerConnect access. I'm betting Chrysler isn't aware of it.
As I stated above, my bet is the business dates back to the old Direct Connection program and Chrysler's happy as long as the cash register's ringing.

Maybe ModernDave will provide us with some more information?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
If the parts Modern Performance has access to are limited to Mopar Performance parts (Parts with a "P" part number) than I'm thinking it dates back to the deals Chrysler used to have with several speed shops across the country back in the Direct Connection days.
Was that program still in place in 1997, when this shop was established?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Maybe ModernDave will provide us with some more information?
I would definitely be interested to hear it, yes.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Was that program still in place in 1997, when this shop was established?
Good question - I'm not sure.

I'm guessing that once Chrysler has a revenue source they're not likely to drop the account unless there's a collection problem. That said, the days of Direct Connection were a long time ago and it's possible the speed shop program died somewhere between Daimler, Cerberus and the bankruptcy.

Maybe Modern Performance operates like JeepsAreUs.com and they don't have a dealer code? Then again, in ModernDave's introduction post he indicated they get their parts directly from Chrysler.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
F500

Quote:
Ah good information Joe thanks!

It seems that only dealers who have or are slated to have a Fiat Studio will be able to get a Fiat dealer code for parts. Suppose I might need another outlet for the Mopar branded Fiat accessories and parts then. What a pain!
there's very little profit margin on Mopar Accessories as it is, so I would think it would be hard to purchase them from another dealer for you to resell, so that you both can make any $$$, unless you matrix your prices in which case you would probably price yourself out of the market.

other than oil filters, Chrysler dealers do not have access to FIAT parts.

Last edited by F500; 12-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.
F500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F500 View Post
there's very little profit margin on Mopar Accessories as it is, so I would think it would be hard to purchase them from another dealer for you to resell, so that you both can make any $$$, unless you matrix your prices in which case you would probably price yourself out of the market.

other than oil filters, Chrysler dealers do not have access to FIAT parts.
Thanks for the information.

It's been awhile since we've heard from our member ModernDave - I'm guessing he's given up on his plan to re-sell Mopar accessories for the Fiat 500.

With the low gross profit margins on the Mopar accessories and the overall poor sales of the Fiat 500 I doubt it would be worth the effort to try to develop this market on the Internet.