Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Does your Dealership hire extra help for the Summer Season?

Does your Dealership hire extra help for the Summer Season?

The plight of one of our members who is spending the majority of his time attending to the work required to process the GM Ignition Switch Recalls lead me to wonder how many dealerships hire extra part-time help during the Summer Season?

For many dealerships the Spring and Summer months represent their busiest months and it's also the two seasons where their employees are likely to want to take vacation days to spend with their family.

Does your dealership hire extra staff for the Summer? Would your store hire a student who was on summer break or would that not be a good fit for your store?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Washiington State Law - Employees must be 18 to drive a vehicle

Concerning the thought about hiring a student who's on summer break as a temporary employee, I know that was never really an option for dealerships in the State of Washington.

Washington has a law which requires that all employees who drive a vehicle as part of their job must be at least 18 years old - it's an employee safety mandate.

The law essentially made it impossible to hire anyone under 18 unless their job was going to be 100% clerical. Even something as simple as washing a customer's car often involved moving a vehicle which an employee under 18 wasn't allowed to do.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
mryan55

We don't add staff. Being busy all the time is a good feeling!

I am adding a seventh salesperson this summer, but it's a less a summer thing and more a result of sales gains... we did 80 new and 71 used retail in May with six guys, so they have been run very ragged.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
... we did 80 new and 71 used retail in May with six guys, so they have been run very ragged.
Wow, that's awesome. That's an average of over 25 units per salesperson.

Congratulations on your success and the increased sales results for your store.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
tnpartsguy

Service hires students for part time help. I stole one of the college ladies for a while, she was placing all the 13454/14063/14092 orders for me so I could do part of my job.
Service manager stole her back, and put her in charge of the GMDRACS program, plus the 8 Enterprise cars we have now for 1 day rentals for these recalls. She is now on vacation for 10 days....
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
She is now on vacation for 10 days....
First what's a Vacation it's been a very long time. Second not a big fan of summer help. Years ago I use to have High School kids in the OWA class wash my cars on the lot. Let me just say great idea but my Bodyshop got a lot of internal work. Would not mind having someone to help with the phones once and a while but that's why I wear my running shows with my dress pants.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote